SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 2760 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
^980 feet is the official height according to Columbia Center, 967 to the roofline. It depends on what street you are measuring from, and where to on the building they are measuring to.

937' is a ridiculous measurement IMO. That would mean they are measuring the east face of the building and, if that's the case, it's a 73 story building, not a 76 story building.

There are so many variables... I call it a 967' building, I think that is the most accurate.

·
Registered
675 Posts
edit-

Ok, originally, I was wishing it was taller, but then I saw what they were doing with the angles: They create an implied mound shape which really makes downtown feel whole and leaves the Columbia Tower as the sexy semi-isolated icon it is.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I hope the positive press this tower is getting will be a wakeup call to more "just-build-another-box" developers to pay more attention to aesthetics.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I really like the new rendering in the ST. Incidentally, glad that wasnt a PI story - the 'Soundoff' would be full of complaints.

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
^980 feet is the official height according to Columbia Center, 967 to the roofline. It depends on what street you are measuring from, and where to on the building they are measuring to.

937' is a ridiculous measurement IMO. That would mean they are measuring the east face of the building and, if that's the case, it's a 73 story building, not a 76 story building.

There are so many variables... I call it a 967' building, I think that is the most accurate.
Thanks! I never understood the shrinking figures either.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I'm glad that Seattle finally getting some "crazy" skyscraper in their skyline instead boxy skyscraper. Seattle still need some more of "crazy" skyscrapers to add more architecture diversity to the skyline.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I really like the new rendering in the ST. Incidentally, glad that wasnt a PI story - the 'Soundoff' would be full of complaints.
Amen, sister. Complaints by people who need to move back to their hobbit holes in Boise.

The other day I was reading 'Soundoff' comments about proposed changes to Seattle's multifamily zoning. Some readers couldn't bear the fact that under the changes, townhouses could be taller, have smaller lawns, and require less parking. One little NIMBY even insisted that relaxed parking requirements were ridiculous, because '[p]eople are going to drive!'. Oh! Are they?! Apparently he knew how all people felt, and was speaking on behalf of them to bring Council back to reality. Of course, I responded with, 'Um, actually, no, plenty of people are NOT going to drive, Charlton Heston. YOU are. That's partly why the relaxed parking requirements are proposed. Are you unaware that city buses are fuller than ever? You just assume that everyone else adheres to your outmoded, auto-centric, 1960s-era lifestyle. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. You shouldn't be living in a city.'

Unfortunately, my good nature prevented most of that sarcasm from manifesting, and it was confined to a violent, inner tempest.

Silly car-people: 'Happiness is a warm car-seat'.

'. . . and this little NIMBY drove aaaaall the waaaay hoooome!'

*pant, pant* That was great. *smokes cigarette*

·
Registered
894 Posts

forrtunately a higher percentage of seattleites will be living in denser and smarter developments also with all the in migration the grumpy locals who despise progress will be few and far between how many of the Seattle forumers are actually Seattle natives another thing the natives are very socially awkward I was on the back of the bus and somehow we all started talking about where we came from and we were jokingly make fun of where eachother came from well there's a girl sitting with us all shriveled and scared looking and someone asked for a show of hands to see who was actually from Seattle the shriveled scared girl was the only to raise her hands then we all pointed at her and laughed

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
forrtunately a higher percentage of seattleites will be living in denser and smarter developments also with all the in migration the grumpy locals who despise progress will be few and far between how many of the Seattle forumers are actually Seattle natives another thing the natives are very socially awkward I was on the back of the bus and somehow we all started talking about where we came from and we were jokingly make fun of where eachother came from well there's a girl sitting with us all shriveled and scared looking and someone asked for a show of hands to see who was actually from Seattle the shriveled scared girl was the only to raise her hands then we all pointed at her and laughed
Longest. Run on sentence. Ever.

Dont laugh at shriveled women!

·
Registered
894 Posts

sorry i typed it on my iphone. haha, i didn't mean shriveled as in old but like crouched trying to go unnoticed

·
Registered
93 Posts
Congratulations, you managed to generalize millions of people, and single handedly murder grammar, all in one monstrous paragraph!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
funny how seapug can call others "socially awkward" when he tends to piss off just about everybody on this board... can't imagine what he's like in real life, must be a charmer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As a native Seattleite, I'd have to say that I am appalled by SeaPug's statements. Obviously, Seattle owes its unique culture and development to the people who founded this city, and the people who have been living in Seattle for generations. The people who have come here in recent years have come here because they enjoy our special city and what it has to offer; Seattle doesn't exist because of newcomers, Seattle is the way it is because of the people who have been living here for years.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I love anecdotal evidence that proves absolutely nothing. Seattleites are very socially awkward and shriveled and scared. I think there's a lot of evidence to back up your observation. It's quite a city all these shriveled people have managed to build!

·
Registered
880 Posts
your a clown...

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Not sure but those comments smack at an east coast mind set.........oooooops guess that is stereotyping too hahaha..... Just sounds like something you would hear in Boston or New York not that I am slamming those places......:tiasd:

21 - 40 of 2760 Posts