SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 2760 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
forrtunately a higher percentage of seattleites will be living in denser and smarter developments also with all the in migration the grumpy locals who despise progress will be few and far between how many of the Seattle forumers are actually Seattle natives another thing the natives are very socially awkward I was on the back of the bus and somehow we all started talking about where we came from and we were jokingly make fun of where eachother came from well there's a girl sitting with us all shriveled and scared looking and someone asked for a show of hands to see who was actually from Seattle the shriveled scared girl was the only to raise her hands then we all pointed at her and laughed
God you are stupid. Many of us native seattlites, and I'm 5th generation btw, are not against growth, and we own some of the land your infill is happening on. So clearly we aren't against you moving here or filling in, in fact, our money depends on it.

·
逍遥法外
721 Posts
^
Knowing Seattle, it's probably "supposed" to start on April 1st--if you catch my drift.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am not sure where the reporter for the article got the information about the building's height and number of floors. However, if you go to the developer's website at www.fifthandcolumbia.com, they seem to think they are constructing a building which will be 550 feet tall and have 43 stories--although, I suspect that figure includes some underground floors since they state the building will have 41 stories elsewhere on the website. I would tend to trust the developer's figures since they are constructing the building. Also, if they were going to fudge the figures, they would most likely overstate the height, not give a shorter figure.

I did wonder why a building of only 43-stories with no spire or decorative peak would end up being 660 feet tall--the floor-to-ceiling height for the average story would be over 15 feet!

·
Here
2,065 Posts
Noce find! I'm only happy if it sticks out on our skyline which I believe it will. So ill take 550'. But I would really like them to build this version of the tower:

I think that diagonal spire thing would be so cool. It would look very iconis next the BOAT.

Also if you look at the construction schedule in the posted link it says it will take a year till the tower portion start. That's a long time for them to build the garage. Is it usually this long for office projects?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am not sure where the reporter for the article got the information about the building's height and number of floors.
Probably from the documentation that was submitted to the Planning Department and the Design Review Board. Those documents are available earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's hard to tell what the final roofline will be...I like the spiked one, but it could be a very gradual angle. The renderings aren't clear as to the final design.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Demolition to Start for 5th & Columbia Tower

According to the Daily Journal of Commerce, 18 March, 2008:

Demolition to start soon for
5th & Columbia tower

Daniels Development Co. plans to start demolition late next month to prepare for building a 43-story office tower at the Seattle First United Methodist Church site at Fifth Avenue and Columbia Street, according to Kevin Daniels, the company's president.

·
Registered
880 Posts
they are going spec.....here is the full article...did the design of this change slightly? The base looks a little different than it previously did or mayble I missed something....I'm not really diggin the base of the tower but everything else is a winner.....

Daniels Development Co. plans to start demolition late next month to prepare for building a 43-story office tower at the Seattle First United Methodist Church site at Fifth Avenue and Columbia Street, according to Kevin Daniels, the company's president.

Work will start without a signed tenant.

Excavation is set to begin June 1, Daniels said, and “we should be (at) the bottom of the hole in October.”

The building will be 798,000 square feet, of which 700,000 is rentable.

A 1950s addition to the church will be demolished to make way for the tower, but the historic sanctuary will be saved and become part of the new project.

The office tower is slated for completion in mid-2010, Daniels said. He said the project will cost “north of $300 million.”

Zimmer Gunsul Frasca is the architect. Turner Construction Co. is the general contractor.

The property sale closed last week for $30 million. The site is 30,720 square feet, Daniels said. So the price equates to $977 a square foot. But Daniels said that figure doesn't take into account the value of the historic sanctuary.

Daniels Development Co. is a related affiliate of Nitze-Stagen & Co., and is headed by Kevin Daniels, Frank Stagen and Peter Nitze. It is developing the Fifth and Columbia tower, and is partnering with Opus NW on a mixed-use project on the Qwest Field north parking lot.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
This will be exciting, to see how this will change the skyline. I'm looking forward to seeing how the old historical portion will fit in.

·
Journeyman
16,431 Posts
Noce find! I'm only happy if it sticks out on our skyline which I believe it will. So ill take 550'. But I would really like them to build this version of the tower:

I think that diagonal spire thing would be so cool. It would look very iconis next the BOAT.

Also if you look at the construction schedule in the posted link it says it will take a year till the tower portion start. That's a long time for them to build the garage. Is it usually this long for office projects?
This rendering is about 35 stories, not 43. Therefore it's probably out of date. They've been talking about the 43 story version.

·
Journeyman
16,431 Posts
The 660' figure appears to be the right one.

Some 43 story buildings are around 550' because they had to maximize floors within tight height limits. Those don't have architectural features on top.

In this case, there's no height limit. There's FAR, but that doesn't impact height directly. Also, the architectural feature on the roof adds probably 60' or 70'.

Furthermore, the DR skyline rendering clearly shows something in the 660' range.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The 660' figure appears to be the right one.

Some 43 story buildings are around 550' because they had to maximize floors within tight height limits. Those don't have architectural features on top.

In this case, there's no height limit. There's FAR, but that doesn't impact height directly. Also, the architectural feature on the roof adds probably 60' or 70'.

Furthermore, the DR skyline rendering clearly shows something in the 660' range.
The website says 550:
http://www.fifthandcolumbia.com/ff.html

Gross Area: 760,000 ft² / 70,500 m²
Net Rentable Area: 700,000 ft² / 60,000 m²
Chargeable Floor Area:
Typical Gross Floor Area: 18,500 ft² (1,700 m²)
Typical Floor to Floor Height: 13'-6" (4 m)
Building Height: 550 ft (180 m)
Number of Stories: 43

Though the Times ran this:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2004176002_newtower11.html

Height: 660 feet

Rank among city's tallest skyscrapers: 5th

Stories: 43

Total square feet: 760,000

Square feet per floor, smallest to largest: 9,707 to 19,287

Typical floor-to-floor height: 13 feet, 6 inches

Elevators: 15

So possibly, its 550 of usable building and 160 feet of decorative stuff, I'm not sure.

41 - 60 of 2760 Posts