Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
that is AWESOME! soccer may be underrated in america, but i'm glad there is a market for it here in seattle.

i hope they retain the sounders name, i think it's cool. just so long as they have a name that comes from the region, like mariners, seahawks, or sonics.

finally a game i can afford at qwest!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I hope we get a cool Eurosnob name for the team like Seattle FC or maybe they can marry local tradition with soccer tradition and call the club SFC Sounders.

If soccer ever gets huge, Qwest Field would easily be the best large soccer venue in the country.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
:banana::banana::banana::banana::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::banana2::banana2::banana2::righton::righton::righton::righton::horse::horse::horse::horse::master::master::master::master::tyty::tyty::tyty::tyty::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber:

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
maybe we can have them play both soccer and basketball. would still probably do better than the sonics are now :D

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I think we have a potential Sonics replacement. (?)
NO. We need to save the Sonics. You don't piss away 41 years of solid tradtion, great exposure in NBA mad China (Yi vs. Yao tonight, 200,000,000 Chinese expected to watch), and the next great superstar (Kevin Durant) who will deliver the city of Seattle amazing exposure.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
NO. We need to save the Sonics. You don't piss away 41 years of solid tradtion, great exposure in NBA mad China (Yi vs. Yao tonight, 200,000,000 Chinese expected to watch), and the next great superstar (Kevin Durant) who will deliver the city of Seattle amazing exposure.
If you can convince the 800-pound gorilla...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If you can convince the 800-pound gorilla...
More like an 8 ounce gorilla. Another example of local lack of leadership. This could (and probably eventually will) have been an easy public/private partnership that will offend very few. If nothing gets done fast, Gregoire loses another voting block, the pissed off sports fan.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
That's great news! That would give us something to cheer up since Sonics are leaving... I hope they will find new way to keep Sonics here from moving to white trash city called Oklahoma City.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
More like an 8 ounce gorilla. Another example of local lack of leadership. This could (and probably eventually will) have been an easy public/private partnership that will offend very few. If nothing gets done fast, Gregoire loses another voting block, the pissed off sports fan.
Good, then Dino Rossi can finally be governor!

As far as I can see, with the leaders we have right now and even with strong public support to keep the Sonics here, Bennett is just going to move the team anyway, UNLESS we get a miracle......

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
As far as I can see, with the leaders we have right now and even with strong public support to keep the Sonics here, Bennett is just going to move the team anyway, UNLESS we get a miracle......
The NBA will block any move if there is an arena plan; it's that simple. This should have been done months ago.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
That won't happen; we already pissed off Bennett so much that he just hates us and wants to get the hell out of here and go back to the shithole he calls Oklahoma City.
Actually Clay Bennett came and bought the teams to bring it to his hometown. He tried to play the game with us by trying to keep the team here. I think the officials here are smart for rejected his proposed arena project. They already KNEW that he would take advantage of us so they are not going to waste their time with him. They just rolled their eyes at him. Good for them! I still think we should keep Sonics here but I put the blame to that Starbucks CEO (I kept forgetting his name because his name is so weird!) for sold the team to wrong person and caused this mess. I personally think Starbucks CEO should get fired and get a new CEO. Few friends of mine who work at their corporate offices said he is major asshole. They all hate him.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'm happy that we're getting a MLS franchise but we CAN NOT lose the Sonics. I'm still remaining cautiously optimistic that something will be worked out and the Sonics will be staying. We were close to losing the Mariners and Seahawks so I'm not too worried......yet.

·
10,656 Posts
There was no way Bennett was going to accept any Seattle-area arena plan. No matter what they came up with, he would find a way to make it unacceptable - either with passed deadlines or some other excuse. All that stuff about looking for a new Seattle-area arena was just for show. Anyone who believes otherwise is naiive.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts