SkyscraperCity banner

381 - 400 of 439 Posts

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
I spy... with my little eye... Guitar Center building demolition has now reached the street:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SeattleWA/comments/d2ut6n/rip_slu_guitar_center/

But I'm confused at the phasing now. I also spy that the big red crane on block 37 on the north side of Mercer has started installing what looks like shoring plates?... (Giant corrugated plates along the perimeter of the site). Anyone know what the building phasing is?... Are they building buildings 4 and 5 at the same time?...

·
10,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
Adventures in Googlandia, 9/12/19

The big red crane and the steel stuff
Forgot to mention after my walk - it appears this they were off loading minor equipment for Google #5. But still not certain as I didn't linger.
So a worker told me that they are digging down to do a tunnel under Mercer for...something having to do with 520 Westlake (Google 5).

And across the street, 520 Westlake is thoroughly under destruction

Bye, bye Jafco (more recently the Guitar Center)!

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Jafco...memories

Would be nice if the new tunnel was a public pedestrian tunnel under Mercer...say between two Google plazas

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
So a worker told me that they are digging down to do a tunnel under Mercer for...something having to do with 520 Westlake (Google 5).
Hmm... Connected parking garage perhaps? Or a way to shuttle construction workers to site faster than waiting for crosswalks on Mercer? Or perhaps an underground railroad for freeing former Amazon employees?...

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Have we seen anything more on that last Lakefront Block going to Google? Obviously they are if their tunnel cuts through it (at least).

·
Registered
654 Posts
A tunnel under Mercer would require some sort of permit and tons of environmental review, which I feel pretty certain someone on this forum would have stumbled upon. It seems more likely it's some sort of big utility duct bank that would have required lots of disturbance to Mercer. Maybe Google is building a data center into the new building that will occupy the old Guitar Center?

·
Journeyman
15,794 Posts
Also:
--The City is very much against private tunnels.
--A tunnel would block off other uses permanently up to a significant depth...utilities, eventual public transportation, etc.
--That's after those utilities were moved out of the way...they're probably in the way currently, including the recent rebuilds from the Mercer redo.
--The City doesn't allow random parking, and new buildings already build what they can within their upper limits.
--The cost would be astronomical for any little boost in parking.

Just not going to happen.

381 - 400 of 439 Posts