SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 958 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New proposal on the DPD today for a 40 story office tower at the SE corner of 5th and Madison. This is across 5th from the 5th & Madison condo and kitty corner from the library. It replaces the lowrise building the houses the college club.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
WOW is that posible with 5th and Marion going in right next to it? Here is an old shot I took of 5th & Marion, Im guessing the the short brown building on the left of it is College Club.

·
逍遥法外
721 Posts
^Those are going to scrape each other. Awesome.

Isn't 5th and Marion supposed to be fairly tall? Like around 500' or something?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
isnt that an area with no height limit? id like to see them wait and build somthing tall in that part then a 30 story tower....i dont wanna see that little land in that area go to waste with little towers ya know?

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
^^ I agree. I would love to see more new taller skyscrapers like 60+ stories to get built at downtown area. I'm getting tired of new 12+ stories bulidings lately... It is time for Seattle to have taller skyscrapers.

·
Registered
894 Posts

seattle is getting taller towers. when i first moved here it seemed like with the exception of about 3 buildings most of em were about 240' to 320' now it seems like almost everything is between 330' and 500' with the exception of a handfull of buildings

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
It's not that bad. I would love to see something taller as well but in that area in-fill isn’t that bad. If we do get a 600-700+ tower I would like to see it farther north

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
^^ Agreed. I think new supertall should get built in the middle of downtown area. I would love to see dozens of 600+ towers to get built around it.

·
Journeyman
15,932 Posts
If this thing gets built, even if it has a flat roof and goes 550', it'll be prominent on the skyline from some angles, because it's at a high elevation.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I was looking at the DPD map (shown bellow) and it shows this project taking up the whole west side of the block. The south end of this property was supposed to be the 33 story condo tower, 5th & Marion. Has it been scraped in favor of building the Office tower? If not will both projects fit in this amount of space and provide enough space between them to meet the city requirements?

·
Registered
894 Posts

i think they could fit both on the block, maybe that's why they shortened the res one so they could make it skinnier

·
Journeyman
15,932 Posts
I don't think you can build a 40-story tower on a quarter block, given our FAR limits (floor area ratio, i.e. floor area compared to site area).

1 - 20 of 958 Posts