SkyscraperCity banner

121 - 140 of 958 Posts

·
1,877 Posts
Looks like the typical NBBJ tower. It has similarities with a lot of the recent NBBJ designed towers in the area (1918 8th, Russell Investments Center, Amazon HQ, City Center Plaza in Bellevue).

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Looks like the typical NBBJ tower. It has similarities with a lot of the recent NBBJ designed towers in the area (1918 8th, Russell Investments Center, Amazon HQ, City Center Plaza in Bellevue).
I don't think it looks anything like any of those. No more than other buildings built around the same time that's for sure. It looks more Weber Thompson-esque to me.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Nakamura Lawn: a Very Important place!
There is no more profoundly moving public space than Nakamura Lawn. I always go there. ALL the time. Constantly. I just take the bus there to bask in its glorious sunshine and cast a disdainful eye on all of those evil highrises which should be replaced by surface parking lots, parking garages, and single-family bungalows. In order to keep Seattle ******-tonk! Because this isn't Manhattan.

And then, when I am in a public park basking in the shade of the trees, I complain about the shade created by highrises.

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
um those pictures show the Nakamura lawn already looks pretty crappy. Maybe they need to look at a different type of seed.........just saying:dunno:
What you are seeing is not the lawn. Those hills are actually covered in strawberry vines I think? The lawn itself is actually pretty nice.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
That's a park that I would like to get James Corner on. I think it could be reasonably successful if it were redesigned to make it actually appealing and to provide plentiful seating and things to do.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Okay it doesn't need to be hip, but it needs to be decent enough that it's used on a regular basis, since it's taking up quite a bit of extremely valuable real estate in the very heart of Downtown. Yeah it would be way better if they were more distributed and City Hall Park felt hospitable to everyone.

·
Journeyman
16,270 Posts
Okay it doesn't need to be hip, but it needs to be decent enough that it's used on a regular basis, since it's taking up quite a bit of extremely valuable real estate in the very heart of Downtown. Yeah it would be way better if they were more distributed and City Hall Park felt hospitable to everyone.
I wonder if that's on the priority list for the US Justice Department. Guessing not.

The biggest lack in Downtown Seattle is lawns. Seems like every other city has good parks like that. The best have slanted walkways so they're shortcuts to other stuff. And big trees with benches under them. But even the ones that aren't shortcuts can be good to sit in during a long walk, or presumably at lunch.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
But the DOJ very well might be amenable to it if the City/DSA found a way to pay for a redo. Like you say, it just needs some more slanted paths and big trees with benches under them. Space for a food truck or two wood be even better. Just "lawns" are terrible parks, especially in Seattle's climate where it rains half the time, but with a few little treatments they can become popular public spaces.

121 - 140 of 958 Posts