Correspondent
8,276 Posts
From todays DJC.

https://www.djc.com/news/re/12117181.html

December 7, 2018

Skyline shows final design for its second tower, but skybridge TBD

By BRIAN MILLER
Journal Staff Reporter

No skybridge is shown in the final renderings for the planned Olympic Tower, at 715 Eighth Ave., but it's still on the table. The skybridge would link the 21-story expansion project on the west side of Eighth to the existing Skyline retirement community on the east side of Eighth.

In a separate process, the Seattle City Council would have to approve the proposed fourth-floor skybridge, which would connect to the podium of Skyline's Cascade Tower.

Meeting notes from the first design review last December say, “The board remained neutral on the skybridge proposal. They noted that in good urban design, there would be no skybridge.”

In general, the city discourages such structures.

Olympic Tower residential units would run from floors three through 21. The top floor would also have a tenant lounge, facing west toward downtown. There would also be a fourth-floor terrace.

The parking, to be accessed from the alley to the west, has about doubled. It will occupy two underground levels, with car lifts to stack vehicles.

Olympic Tower, the 21-story expansion, would have 77 housing units and underground parking. Amenity spaces include an auditorium and bistro.

Transforming Age wants to add a skybridge to connect Olympic Tower (on the left) with Skyline’s existing Cascade Tower.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
The south and western podium facades remind me of some of the old German defensive installations in Brittany and Normandy. I guess if they are not street facing, they'll be OK.

·
Correspondent
8,276 Posts
From todays DJC.

https://www.djc.com/news/co/12126130.html

October 10, 2019

Olympic Tower breaks ground at Skyline
By JOURNAL STAFF

The nonprofit retirement community Transforming Age announced that it broke ground Tuesday on the Olympic Tower expansion project, at 715 Eighth Ave. on First Hill.

The 21-story, 77-unit tower was designed by Ankrom Moison and is being built by PCL Construction. Completion is expected in 2021.

Olympic Tower will include a rooftop lounge among many other amenities. It will also include a 240-seat performing arts center. The project is 70% pre-sold, according to Transforming Age.

A proposal for a skybridge to connect to Skyline across the street was dropped from the final design, though it could be added later.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
So for a project like this is the purchaser buying a life estate? Or are they just required to resell to someone over a certain age?

·
Registered
15,527 Posts
It reminds me of this:

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/12/29/world/a-120-year-lease-on-life-outlasts-apartment-heir.html
Andre-Francois Raffray thought he had a great deal 30 years ago: He would pay a 90-year-old woman 2,500 francs (about $500) a month until she died, then move into her grand apartment in a town Vincent van Gogh once roamed.

But this Christmas, Mr. Raffray died at age 77, having laid out the equivalent of more than $184,000 for an apartment he never got to live in.

On the same day, Jeanne Calment, now listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's oldest person at 120, dined on foie gras, duck thighs, cheese and chocolate cake at her nursing home near the sought-after apartment in Arles, northwest of Marseilles in the south of France.

·
13,512 Posts
Great! A construction start for this one hadn't been on my radar.

When I get back to Seattle next week, I'll go up and conduct an inspection. I'll change it from "Proposed" to "U/C" as soon as the drills arrive on site.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts