SkyscraperCity banner

1061 - 1080 of 2077 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
Anyone figure out what address or permit number tracks the structural inspections for the 59 story tower? 1301 5th Ave has lots of geotech reports but I'm not finding the structural inspections that would likely show pour extents of the core. I did see a recent address correction that assigns 400 University St to the south tower (hotel). The tall tower address will likely be interesting since the residential lobby main entry is off of 4th Ave but the office floors lobby is on Union Street. Usually SDCI and the fire department are pretty strict about finding an address that relates to where the main entry is.

·
(none)
892 Posts
11/15 - 11/18/2018 Update:

Skyscraper Section:
  • It appears that the lowest 4 floorplates (3 steel and the concrete foundation) are complete.
  • Steel floorplates for the 5th and 6th floor from the very bottom are incomplete - still awaiting steel in the midsection between the hotel and skyscraper sections.
  • The top of the steel core is 4 levels above the corner of Union St & 4th Ave.
  • The top of the outrigger columns reaches level 2 and the beginnings of levels 1 & 2 floorplates can be seen.

Hotel Section:
  • Core and floorplate at ground level, relative to 4th Ave & University St.

·
1,436 Posts
I have also noticed the smaller concrete pumping operations on both 4th and 5th avenues. They are almost identical to the systems pumping the self consolidating mixture for the Hotel site and assume they are for sealing up the secant wall below. There also appears to be an intriguing pump like construction going up at the 4th & Union corner with a grey lattice frame sticking out of it. Perhaps the pump for higher up or the parking decks?
This is the exterior lift (elevator ) that is being installed for when the building starts to rise above ground level. This isn't for pumping. :)

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
It's great to see from these lower angles. The camera view is nice, but sometimes hard to figure out levels of steel as it becomes a little Escher-like in view.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Great photos, thank you. Ground level updates totally help decipher the somewhat one dimensional view of the construction cam and REALLY show the scale of the steel work.

...and the speed of this, had you told me in late August, just as the three week strike kicked off, that this baby would be 40-50ft above street level, I would have offered to by you a heavily watered down drink!

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
Maybe an old timer on here can share how fast the steel plate core of the Federal Courthouse went up back in 2000? or so. Probably slow due to the high floor-to-floor heights and heavier than usual commercial office but still relatively fast I bet.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Maybe an old timer on here can share how fast the steel plate core of the Federal Courthouse went up back in 2000? or so. Probably slow due to the high floor-to-floor heights and heavier than usual commercial office but still relatively fast I bet.
I wasn't even aware that the Courthouse used a steel plate core system. Was MKA the engineering firm of record? And I don't recall it being erected with anymore alacrity than a normal tower build of that period.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Drove by last night. Holy crap is this thing huge! Excited to see it grow.

Steel work for the first ground floor looked to be mostly up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Tons of cement mixers on site (4th Ave side) this morning and nothing to do with the hotel portion.
Lots of trucks feeding the pump on 4th ave. this morning. That pump is piped all the way down and appears to be set up for the long haul. It is different from the trailer
pumps that occasionally come in. I am starting to wonder if this pump is indeed filling the core sections below, working their way up.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I saw on the news where SDOT are asking all construction to reduce their footprint on 3rd during the 3 weeks in Jan. that they are realigning the tunnel entrances which means they are going to lose that lane they have been using to pump concrete. It will be interesting to see ho they adjust their schedule for that.

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
I don't think I've heard of the SpeedCore name for this type of core. Fun to see the Google results for the term.
AISC email:
SpeedCore, a revolutionary composite structural steel core system now being erected in Seattle's 850-ft Rainier Square Tower, eliminates the need for formwork and reinforcing bars and aims to replace the common reinforced concrete core construction. This revolutionary coupled steel-plate composite wall system, appropriate for wind and seismic zones, is expected to shave months off of mid-rise and high-rise projects. A new free course, "Introducing the Steel-Plate Composite Core," sponsored by the Steel Institute of New York, is available for AIA continuing education credit in Architectural Record's CE Center (click the top link in the "In the News Section" of our SpeedCore webpage).
Google result:
Speedcore is a form of hardcore that is characterized by a high tempo and aggressive themes. The genre was created in the early to mid 1990s and the name originates from the genre hardcore as well as the high speed tempo used. This music rarely drops below 300 beats per minute. Wikipedia

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
I saw on the news where SDOT are asking all construction to reduce their footprint on 3rd during the 3 weeks in Jan. that they are realigning the tunnel entrances which means they are going to lose that lane they have been using to pump concrete. It will be interesting to see ho they adjust their schedule for that.
This project is between 4th and 5th, not 3rd. Did you mean another project?

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
There's something especially grating to an urbanist when they shut down city building for cars, especially to build the world's largest bore car tunnel as a city bypass.

Sorry, wrong thread to vent about this.

1061 - 1080 of 2077 Posts