SkyscraperCity banner

1201 - 1220 of 2060 Posts

·
Dense makes sense
180 Posts
I am curious as to why for cam 3 they decided to place it on the shortest building there when in about 3 or 4 weeks time it will be sort of useless and will be like cam 1, pointed at a wall that will show nothing of the progress. Why not move it to those much taller buildings on the east side as was mentioned earlier?
I agree. It may come down to who is willing to have a camera installed on their building. Would be great to have one on Two Union square for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am curious as to why for cam 3 they decided to place it on the shortest building there when in about 3 or 4 weeks time it will be sort of useless and will be like cam 1, pointed at a wall that will show nothing of the progress. Why not move it to those much taller buildings on the east side as was mentioned earlier?
Completely agree and was really hoping for a new, higher location. Not surprised though because Velacine's earlier post mentioned they would be replacing that camera at that location.

I think camera 2 will be the workhorse for following this baby up, cams 1&2 will be to document the 'scallop' and perhaps detail general curtain wall installation. Just my shot in the dark on it. We should get a nice, detailed view of the curtain wall going in from cam 3 if it is decided to leave it as is.

I have to keep reminding myself someone is paying for this Oxblue service and they are the one's who dictate what camera see's what and for why. Given the the revolutionary nature of this project
I imagine all sorts of parties want to see all kinds of things.I imagine Wright Runstad and LCL are the two kingpins with these camera's followed closely by a herd of lawyers and insurance companies.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Where are the concrete pump tubes used to fill the steel core? Are it hidden on the concealed floor below?
I do believe they run from the street level pumps down and into the building and mainly out of site. I think there are 3 of them if I'm not mistaken and I
really think the white pump on 4th Ave. is the machine doing the majority of the core filling. It was the first pump installed and definitely plumbed down to the slab. Would love to know details how they are filling the core with this kind
of setup.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The large pump on 4th is most definitely the pump they're using for this project. I'm assuming that they've put a series of holes for a slick line to fit into each of the core and columns that get filled. This way they can use the set up they have for pouring the topping slab on each floor and not have to manage separate systems.

I'm fairly certain, and the current set up would bear this out, that I read they're using a self-consolidating mix so a couple 6" holes ever floor or at whatever rate they decided they can fill these at should be about all they need to fill the core.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What surprises me as a complete bystander and utter novice to these kinds of projects is how few workers seem to be on site at any given time. They are doing a major core addition and there are maybe 9 guys on the top floor working, of which maybe 3 are involved with the core?

I keep thinking back to pictures of skyscrapers being built in the 20-30's, with hundreds (thousands?) of people seemingly crawling over every inch. A much different process these days.

·
Registered
622 Posts
There are a lot of workers on site. Here's a photo of the crew the structural steel erector had on site ~6 weeks ago: https://image-store.slidesharecdn.com/7b8a9463-9429-47d6-9b77-4f7a27096f60-original.jpeg (I'm terrible at this whole picture resizing thing, I apologize...). Worth noting: the erector, at the time of posting that picture, was looking to hire more people to work on the project...

The workers you're seeing in that picture posted above are the primary connectors - their job generally requires the fewest people to do. They're responsible for putting everything together initially and connecting everything just enough such that it stays together. There's at least one crew of secondary connectors who come in behind them to finalize the connections. Throw in the workers who install the pan decking, the workers who detail the pan decking, the workers who detail the miscellaneous steel, etc., and you get a lot of people on site.

And this is just for the steel erection. There's concrete pouring going on, miscellaneous carpentry, rigging, probably the start of the mechanical/fire sprinkler/electrical systems going on as well. They're just hidden on the lower floors.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Looks like our vaunted "snowpocalypse" has taken it's toll on camera 2 and the jobsite in general....icy steel hell. Come'on spring, get your ass up here!

·
Registered
166 Posts
There is speculation that with the possible tilt toward anti-business city hall has prompted Amazon to stop further NEW downtown Seattle investments. This would align with their Bellevue office activities. I don’t fault Amazon if Seattle City Council hates growth and business.
I dobut it. Look, Amazon started and has ALWAYS been in Seattle. The idea that Seattle is a VERY liberal city is NOT some news flash to them. They've known this for since day 1 (selling books out of a SODO warehouse). They had EVERY chance to move along the way and go to (insert business friendly place here). And yet, they stayed in town, moved to Beacon Hill, moved to South Lake Union, built 1 40+ story building then a 2nd, with promise to MAYBE build a 3rd if demand was there (and they didn't even wait 6 months before deciding it did). Seattle is no more or less "business friendly" than it ever was. The details come and go, we tried a head tax and repealed that (and AFTER repealing it Amazon pulled out of this project). Look, bottom line is it's not REASONABLE or healthy to think Amazon could or should take EVERY new building project. They're already the biggest "company town" (in terms of office space %) of any major city. They have an ENORMOUS presence here and will for decades at least. Sure than can have a 2nd or 3rd pseudo fake "HQ"...so what? Every company has satellite office (Google and Facebook have offices in Seattle, that doesn't mean they're leaving the Bay area). Amazon CAN'T grow much more in Seattle. It wouldn't be healthy for us to have 5 or 6 or 7 40 story buildings belonging to ONE single company. Sure they'll move office...like Boeings "fake Chicago" move where they basically just changed their mailing address (but didn't move ONE single factory job to Illinois). Microsoft has had decades to move, so has Starbucks and Amazon. They know this is a liberal area. Fox News is HQ'd in New York City which SEEMS to go against their bitch about liberals, taxes and regulation, but in the end locating a business is MORE complicated than JUST a tax break (otherwise all business would be in Wyoming and Fox News would be based in rural Alabama). It's complicated and there's more to "business friendly"...there's access to employees, quality of life (ability to attract employees), etc. Bellevue residents will LOVE to a have a FEW offices from Amazon, but trust me, they don't want to turn into Seattle, they LOVE being a smaller "suburban" environment and I don't think they want to become a "big city" per se. And Bellevue or Seattle (Microsoft is largely in Redmond though people call them "Seattle based")...it's still jobs for the metro area.

·
(none)
892 Posts
2/13/2019 Update:

Skyscraper Section:
  • Floorplates are complete up to level 13, while parts of the steel columns, the core and sections of floor reach up to level 15.
  • Concrete is present on levels 1-4.
  • Rebar is present up to level 7.
  • Fireproofing of the steel is about to start on level 2.
  • The Liebherr luffer near Union St & 4th Ave needs a jump desperately, while the luffer by Union St & 5th Ave will leave soon.

Hotel Section:
  • Appears to be idle, while the crews focus work on the skyscraper part.
  • Filler section between skyscraper & hotel about 1 level below ground.

Selfie from 156 m (509 feet) up of drone-pilot-in-training and I.

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
Do people look at you with the drone and think you’re Secret Agent Man, or is it something more dorky that the rest of us can relate to?

1201 - 1220 of 2060 Posts