SkyscraperCity banner

1221 - 1240 of 2060 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
The Union street view through to the hotel basement is awesome. great pics!
I hope they jack that crane way the hell up there so we can see it from all over.

·
Registered
262 Posts
3 sections added today that I can see. I am wondering since the crane is in such close proximity to the outriggers if future jumps will be many and short. The outrigger sections are quite tall (3 stories) and it seems like lifting those into position from a taller crane height would be quite hairy, being so close to the crane base.

·
1,436 Posts
PCC downtown will drive traffic from around the area not just this one building. I know a lot of my co-workers would likely drop by on their way home versus having to drive out to their local stores. I bet this store will do really well.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think we are about to see the beginning's of the first core set back on the east side. Careful examination of the latest core sections installed on the east side show them to be conspicuously shorter now.

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
I was at the Convention Center yesterday, looking down Union St. Two Union Square is still such a massive presence on the eastern end, it’s mind boggling the Rainier Square will be even a larger presence.

·
17,840 Posts
I'll give Amazon this: at least they're consistent.

hang on, I have look for a better article. That last one was fake news.

edit 2: here's the original source. Amazon isn't "walking away" they're subleasing.

Amazon backs out of massive Seattle office tower as questions swirl about growth plans

Amazon has placed a high-profile Seattle office project on the sublease market, signaling plans to scale down its growth in its hometown.

A marketing flier obtained by GeekWire confirms that the tech giant is seeking new tenants for its office space in Rainier Square, a building under construction that will one day be the city’s second-tallest skyscraper. Amazon had leased all 30 floors of office space in the building. After weeks of rumors, the listing was made official over the weekend, according to real estate brokers familiar with the marketing efforts. Amazon will make all of the office space it leased in Rainier Square available to other companies.

[...]

Earlier this month, a real estate broker who represents tenants in downtown Seattle told GeekWire that Apple, Dropbox, and Oracle were “circling” as possible tenants for Rainier Square

[...]

Rainier Square was at the center of a heated tax battle between Amazon and Seattle last year that became emblematic of the company’s troubled relationship with its hometown. As Seattle considered a tax on top-grossing businesses to fund affordable housing, Amazon threatened not to move into Rainier Square, claiming the City Council’s approach “forces us to question our growth here.” Although Amazon came out on top in that dispute, its future at Rainier Square remained uncertain.

Amazon currently occupies 12 million square feet of office space in Seattle and has several additional projects under construction. The company will “continue to evaluate future growth” when those projects are finished, an Amazon spokesperson told GeekWire previously.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
It won't be so bad, I am sure there are going to be several companies that will love to get that space. It just makes it more complicated,. Amazon looks like it will move into Bellevue in a big way. Although only a few leases have been announced it is rumored several million sq. feet of space is being considered. This could include what would have gone into the Rainier project and some of what had been considered for N.Y. I guess we will have to wait and see until any of this comes to pass. If it does Bellevue as a city will certainly become better known in the rest of the country.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Amazon dropping this may actually help the situation recover much more quickly. Psychologically speaking, and as heretical as it may sound, Amazon blindly gobbling up this revolutionary building like it was a mere pittance was rather nauseating. A nice big illuminated Oracle sign on this baby wouldn't bother me a bit.

1221 - 1240 of 2060 Posts