1241 - 1260 of 2060 Posts

·
Correspondent
8,276 Posts
From todays DJC.

https://www.djc.com/news/re/12119516.html

February 28, 2019

Amazon to sublease Rainier Square space

SEATTLE (AP) — Amazon is abandoning a prominent downtown Seattle office project 10 months after it threatened to do so if the city imposed a new business tax.

The Seattle Times reports that while the Seattle City Council eventually reversed itself on the tax that would have raised money for affordable housing, Amazon confirmed Wednesday it will not occupy the space it leased in the Rainier Square tower under construction.

In a statement, Amazon said it is always evaluating its space requirements and intends to sublease Rainier Square based on current plans. Amazon added that the company has more than 9,000 open jobs in Seattle, and that “it will continue to evaluate future growth.”

The Rainier Square lease provides room for at least 3,500 employees.

Scheduled to open next year, the $570 million Rainier Square tower project will be the second-tallest building in the Pacific Northwest, at 58 stories.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The slope of this is already looking so refreshing. It will be a very nice change of pace on
an aesthetic scale when entering the area.

Steel this week has really picked up the pace!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Looks like they will have to another crane bump, maybe this weekend.
Definitely will need a jump to continue placing outriggers. If they follow the scheme from the last 3 section jump they may wait until completion of all steel and decking to level 19 before doing the jump.

This seems like an opportune time to bring up something: This crane is huge and it's boom has got to be in the 150+ft range I suspect. I am interested in what may or may not happen when this crane clears the 514ft roof of Rainier Tower. Certainly when the tower is topped out the crane in it's luffing configuration would start to get the FAA all hot and bothered. Does the crane have the ability to reconfigure to a non-luffing operation?

·
11,572 Posts
This crane is huge and it's boom has got to be in the 150+ft range I suspect. I am interested in what may or may not happen when this crane clears the 514ft roof of Rainier Tower. Certainly when the tower is topped out the crane in it's luffing configuration would start to get the FAA all hot and bothered. Does the crane have the ability to reconfigure to a non-luffing operation?
Thanks, BLD66. But for us non-experts, could you explain this a bit more? What is the luffing configuration? Why exactly would the FAA be concerned -- would the final height of the crane exceed some forbidden maximum altitude? How did all that get sorted out with the Columbia Center when it was U/C?

·
Premium Member
5,994 Posts
Definitely no way to make it non-luffing and still function in any useful way (locking off the luffing function makes it useless. No rails for a trolley to run on). There are standard FAA forms for cranes that deal with temporary obstructions and require certain warning lights.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks, BLD66. But for us non-experts, could you explain this a bit more? What is the luffing configuration? Why exactly would the FAA be concerned -- would the final height of the crane exceed some forbidden maximum altitude? How did all that get sorted out with the Columbia Center when it was U/C?
I am a non-expert as well and wanted to see what folks thought of the situation. I assumed since the FAA was concerned about 4C that perhaps
the Rainier crane would present an issue as well but it appears the FAA has
plans for situations like this. The Columbia Center crane situation was probably handled in the same manner. Thank you for the feedback everyone and I hope the crane tip hits 1000+ft in August!

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Just noticed that the fireproofing of the ironwork has begun (guess it began last week in fact!).

Rising fast, but eager to see glass too! First things first.

1241 - 1260 of 2060 Posts