Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Uptown Bound
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this the year? Can we finally win the MLS Cup? We have replaced Yedlin with Mears - certainly not the same spark we used to have with Deandre but supposedly he's a better defender. Time will tell. Evans is moving to CB, but otherwise, the team is largely the same team we had last year. Come on, Sounders!

:cheers:

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Is this the year? Can we finally win the MLS Cup? We have replaced Yedlin with Mears - certainly not the same spark we used to have with Deandre but supposedly he's a better defender. Time will tell. Evans is moving to CB, but otherwise, the team is largely the same team we had last year. Come on, Sounders!

:cheers:
Last year we were essentially playing a 2-4-Yedlin-3

Not ripping on him, but it was basically his role to be a speedy sortof winger sortof defender. USMNT removed the "sortof" and just made him a speedy winger.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Here's hoping that's just a sample of what we'll see all season. Really hoping this team can stop being as streaky as they've been in the past.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Won't be any new stadium for the sounders like reported by the psbj. Lease extension till 2028. http://www.king5.com/story/sports/s...16/soudners-centurylink-field-lease/24858557/
Good. It's a little insane when you think about how we built a massive structure that is only guaranteed to hold 10 events a year (12 or 13 if everything goes right with the playoffs). Sounders add another 20+ event days depending on what is happening with non-MLS competition and playoffs.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
We need to get Evans back in midfield. It's brutal watching him play CB. Can't even be mad at the guy, it was unfair to ask him to play a position he has never played and to do it with almost no training camp due to the CBA negotiations.

I'll chock the loss up to no Sigi, no Ozzie and Evans being put in a no win position.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Another rabid Cascadia match yesterday! Was a very defensive duel for most of the game but opened up later on. Dempsey scored the winner with help from Andy Rose. ECS and Timbers Army were deafening as always. I really actually like the town of Portland but man do I despise everything Timber! We look well on our way to another Cascadia Cup and deep playoff run! Season is heating up! Let's go Sounders!

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
I feel bad for Andy Rose on the goal. His original shot was a cannon. It was probably rolling in without any help from Dempsey. But because he got his foot on it last, all the headlines read "Sounders win super bigtime rivalry game on late goal from Dempsey!"

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Another big win! Seattle plays with a flair almost unique in MLS we seem to dazzle our opponents as much as we dominate them. The interplay between Dempsey and Martins is phenomenal.

On a side note NYCFC play in Yankee Stadium which is a shoe box compared to the average field. It was almost like an arena soccer game playing at a frantic physical pace. A lot of people find things like this in MLS bush league but I find them endearing. The differences in stadiums, supporter culture, playing/coaching styles and climates, etc. Between clubs don't exist in any other league in the world and that's pretty cool.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Another big win! Seattle plays with a flair almost unique in MLS we seem to dazzle our opponents as much as we dominate them. The interplay between Dempsey and Martins is phenomenal.

On a side note NYCFC play in Yankee Stadium which is a shoe box compared to the average field. It was almost like an arena soccer game playing at a frantic physical pace. A lot of people find things like this in MLS bush league but I find them endearing. The differences in stadiums, supporter culture, playing/coaching styles and climates, etc. Between clubs don't exist in any other league in the world and that's pretty cool.
If you read the comments over in the stadium section, you'd think NYCFC was getting ready to move to Milwaukee. Its almost as bad as the idea of the Toronto Argonauts sharing BMO field with Toronto or seeing football lines on the field at the CLink.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I know NYCFC playing at Yankees Stadium is not feasible long term. But don't mind it short term. I was speaking more to the massive variety in match day experiences across the league. In every other league in the world the culture is unique to other leagues but fairly conformist in relation to stadium styles, supporters culture etc. I enjoy the mosaic that is MLS we have tiny shoe box fields like Portland or NYCFC as well as very large fields like CLink etc. Our supporters styles are a Mish mash of both original styles and those from around the world TFC= English, Chicago= eastern Europe (Polish mostly), montreal= French, Houston = Mexican, etc...Also hybrid styles like ECS seems to draw from Central European (German/Czech styles) plus influences from the UK and east asia, also some teams like Dallas and New England seem to support in a very uniquely American manner. Add to this the difference in climate from sub tropical to alpine to desert or Mediterranean and even borderline temperate rainforest along with differences in playing styles and regional cultures we have a league that is unlike any other and I really like that. Adds a flavor week to week that in absent elsewhere. I appreciate that and think it could be a major selling point internationally in the long term once the level of play improves.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Another dominate win by seattle punctuated by a Marco papa goal shoots seattle into first place again. It's like we are the Yankees of North American soccer, and it feels good! :banana:

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Another dominate win by seattle punctuated by a Marco papa goal shoots seattle into first place again. It's like we are the Yankees of North American soccer, and it feels good! :banana:
Disagree with the comparison for a few reasons:

A: The Yankees have won things. Lots of things. We haven't made it to our first MLS final yet and keep choking in the playoffs after strong regular season performances.

B: Because of MLS's strict salary cap, we can't throw gobs of money at every available star that comes along like the Yankees or Man U or Real Madrid. We also don't go the Miami Heat route of signing a whole bunch of big name stars under the cap either. We have our big stars, but they produce in a humble fun loving way. We also have solid depth of some talented and hard working vets and youngsters.

And finally, C: Our fans don't spread around the world loudly telling everyone how awesome their team is. You see them around, but I wouldn't call us smug or obnoxious for the soccer world.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
A. Just in our MLS era we have won many USOCs and a supporters shield (which is actually the true championship in soccer) MLS cup is just one we haven't won yet, but will soon.
We also were elite preMLS having the longest richest history of an team currently in the top flight. We have been winning trophies since before most teams in MLS even existed. Literally decades of dominance, just like the infamous banner said!
B.we did straight up steal Dempsey, but I'll give you this one.
C. I think other fans around the league would disagree with that, see the "ACES" and "seattle invented " memes on the Internet. We also have the biggest fan base in the league and travel well often overtaking other team fans in their own stadium. We are not well liked.

But I see your point, I never liked the Yankees my comparison was more "we are always good, like a team like the Yankees are...This is odd for a seattle sports fan, I like the feeling"

·
Registered
989 Posts
I was against Sigi after the 2013 season, but management made the right decision by letting him stay in Seattle because he is one of the reasons why the team is consistently good.

·
Transit Photographer
3,355 Posts
Seattle and Vancouver are in the same CONCACAF Champions League group, along with a team called Olimpia. This is all too perfect.

I hope CenturyLink Field gets untarped for the Vancouver match. Our CCL matches only got around 20K, so we need to smash that figure to pieces with a true sellout.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts