81 - 100 of 160 Posts

·
Correspondent
8,275 Posts
From todays DJC.

https://www.djc.com/news/ae/12119739.html

March 7, 2019

LMC starts on two Alexa-enabled apartment towers on Town Hall block

The complex, now called Ovation, will have luxury units with voice-activated lighting, thermostats, window shades and door entry.

By BRIAN MILLER
Journal Staff Reporter

LMC — the preferred moniker for Lennar Multifamily Communities — announced this week that it has started construction on two apartment towers at 1101 Eighth Ave., aka the Town Hall block, just east of the freeway on First Hill. Completion is expected during 2021. The official new name is Ovation.

The project features a 9,000-square-foot public plaza on the northwest corner of the block. Seattle City Council last year approved a vacation of the midblock alley between Seneca and Spring streets. That will become a landscaped woonerf that splits the block and separates the two towers on the south, Spring Street side of the block. There's also a planned east-west pedestrian mews that will connect to the plaza.

Ovation is targeting LEED silver certification. It will contribute a Mandatory Housing Affordability fee of about $3.1 million to the city, in exchange for extra floor area. It also gained extra floor area by paying Town Hall $1.3 million last year for its air rights.

The L-shaped site totals a little under an acre. The entire block is bounded by Seneca and Spring streets, Eighth Avenue and Hubbell Place.

JTM Construction has begun work on the two 32-story towers, which will have 548 units and commercial space.

An east-west pedestrian mews will connect to a 9,000-square-foot public plaza.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Voice-activated door locks? How about just give me a key instead? Make it proximity RFID if you want to be fancy, but I'll pass on biometrics. If someone figures out how to mimic my voice close enough to fool the system, there's no way for me to change my "password."

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
With hackers able to get into just about anything I am not sure I want to put my door lock available on the internet Geez they can even get into your car while you are driving. Interior cams are now being hacked to see if anyone is home. Turning on lights, appliances that kind of thing, ok but those other things not so much.

81 - 100 of 160 Posts