SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts

Seattle Mariners

Qwest Field is not the only great stadium in Seattle. It's neighbor is even greater in the opinion of many: Safeco Field

My favorite of the new baseball parks, I think it is sorely neglected when discussions of best stadium come up. Its the retractable roof that really gets out of the way, in addition to fitting with setting, being a great pitcher's park and doing a great job of adding character.

As I said, the design really fits into the city. When I think of Seattle, I think of brick lofts, the ocean port, modern. The ballpark fits all of these in its facade. Even the lights are reminiscent of the port cranes nearby

Right Field

One thing that really works for Safeco is how open it feels with the roof open. I can't think of another retractable roof stadium that doesn't feel like one. Of course there's the huge reminder in right field, but that's leaves 3 of the 4 sides out in the open. This could be the result of not trying to be indoors, but rather under a true roof

3-piece roof

When the roof is closed the outfield still has an airy feel, while the infield seats feel more indoors.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Has to be said, the record crowd for Safeco Field was set on March 30, 2003 when 54,097 attended the WWE's Wrestlemania XIX event.

·
Registered
547 Posts
^^

I don't know the story about these games, but maybe this was before Qwest Field (Seahawks Stadium at first) was built. Qwest Field is newer.

·
Unregistered User
2,561 Posts
Qwest field is too big, its the same reason the play bowl games at AT&T park in SF, Nationals Park in DC, and Tropicana Field in St Petersburg.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
USA v Japan in soccer is traditionally played in baseball parks, it's because baseball is the national game for both countries. I think Nintendo has something to do with it. (NoA owns the Mariners).

That said, it's a beautiful stadium. Obviously not meant for the aforementioned codes of football, but it does as well as the concrete donuts did while still looking fantastic.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Safeco only seats 47,116 for baseball.
Isn't 47,116 A GOOD CAPACITY?
Jesus Christ!It's enough for boring baseball. American Football, volleyball, basketball and Soccer are real exciting sports.

On the other hand, this stadium is quite nice:)I must visit Seattle because I still have a valid green card:D

·
Unregistered User
2,561 Posts
Isn't 47,116 A GOOD CAPACITY?
Jesus Christ!It's enough for boring baseball. American Football, volleyball, basketball and Soccer are real exciting sports.

On the other hand, this stadium is quite nice:)I must visit Seattle because I still have a valid green card:D
first off, he was only correcting the Capacity that was already listed, so calm down. Second, baseball isnt boring, you just understand it.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
When Wrestlemania 19 was held in Safeco Field, the ring was set near the location of second base, seats were placed around the field, and the entrance ramp looks like it was bent.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I love it. It's the only retractable roof baseball stadium that I've been to that actually feels like an outdoor stadium when the roof is open. At the others, you feel indoors regardless of whether or not the roof is open.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts