SkyscraperCity banner

1141 - 1160 of 1161 Posts

·
1,436 Posts
Actually it looks like they will have additional height for the slanted roof feature - the top of the beams have connection points for additional upward facing beams.

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
The photo above does a good job of showing the recently installed hanging structure above the express lane exit/entry lane at the Boren/Pine intersection.

·
(none)
833 Posts
2/22/2020 Update:

• Steel at the corner of Boren Ave & Olive Way reaches to level 11.
  • At Pine St & Boren Ave (the I-5 express lane ramp overhang), crews have installed multiple truss spans, the steel supports for the sidewalk and steel sheeting; the structure is as high as 9 levels above Boren Ave & Olive Way.
  • Concrete support columns, in the underground convention space, reach as far west as the Zone 4-Zone 5 border.
  • The long-reach excavator has sped the removal of the dirt pile by 9th Ave & Olive Way, but the remains are still in the way of the 9th Ave perimeter wall and the western, inner wall of the subterranean convention space.
  • In the underground vault space beneath past and future Olive Way's right-of-way, concrete has been poured for level -1 at Boren Ave & Olive Way, while crews are busy building support columns in the western part.
The steel structure:

Overviews:

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've heard through the grapevine that the Clark/Lewis JV (please tell me someone has made several Lewis and Clark jokes already?!) is not particularly happy with the steel subcontractor's performance. American Bridge is the sub doing the work and, as their name would suggest, they're not particularly experienced building large structures like this.

Seems like the steel erection has been going better lately so hopefully they've worked out the kinks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Let's hope so! I've been wondering why the pace was as slow as it has been. It's a big complicated structure but this explanation helps shed some light. Is this the consequence of state procurement rules tying the hands of the GC because of a sealed bid process?

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
While structural steel supply and erection (both under American Bridge, I believe) might have struggled to get going, it seems that the concrete work ahead of the structural steel isn't/wasn't far enough ahead to make an easy case that it was just structural steel that was lagging. Right now it seems enough columns and walls are cast out ahead of the steel work but it could a be a situation where the steel guys would have just overrun the concrete crews if they were to have held schedule.

12/17/19 WSCC Board of Directors meeting minutes provides some insights into the complexities of managing two large meeting facilities. There are some updates about the Addition project but then the minutes go into operations topics (interesting by themselves as the org gets ready to open another large facility). "Crane problems" are mentioned in both the main board meeting and addition committee minutes.

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
Walked by site today and noticed they're field welding plates to complete the inverted V cantilevered truss diagonals. (far left edge of camera 2) Definitely looks very intentionally planned this way which is surprising unless the completed members would've exceeded hoisting capacity or some other logistical reason. Now they've set up worker access on scaffolding that's hanging from above - a challenge to even access and then have to do some good sized welds. Every time welders, inspectors, etc have to go access this work they're exposed to hazards (even if well managed) plus the obvious expenses involved.

·
(none)
833 Posts
3/8/2020 Update:

• The steel at the corner of Boren Ave & Olive Way has been fireproofed up to level 2, while the tallest point of the steel structure, two steel columns, now reaches to level 12 (roof).
  • Concrete has been poured on the steel structure as high as level 4.
  • The part of the steel structure overhanging the I-5 express lane ramp has steel floorplate complete up to level 5 and the steel structure up to level 7.
  • In the vault space beneath past and future Olive Way corridor, crews have formwork in place for level -1 as far southwest as Zone 3.
  • The concrete columns along the Zone 4-Zone 5 border, supporting the structure over the underground convention space, are in various stages of completion.
  • The long-reach excavator has taken care of the stubborn pile of dirt by 9th Ave & Olive Way, but enough soil remains to impede progress on the southwestern corner of the interior wall surrounding the subterranean convention space and the perimeter wall at 9th Ave side.
Zone 1 & Zone 2 Steel Structure:

Site Overviews:

·
(none)
833 Posts
2/25 & 3/11/2020 Update:

• The steel columns placed today, 3/11, near the corner of Olive Way & Boren Ave reach the roof level.
  • Crews have hoisted a good amount of steel into their final positions in the last 2 weeks.
Steel structure as of 2/25/2020: The trusses overhanging the I-5 express ramp and the Union Street offramp's deceleration lane are visible.

Steel structure as of 3/11/2020: The one column seen to the right of AMLI ARC likely reaches the slanted roof's apex.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Whoa, that thing is huge. Had no idea it was going to be taller than Olive tower.

Wouldn’t this be the largest NEW public building built in Seattle since the 2 new Stadium District stadiums? Earlier in this thread I mentioned this is a larger project than the Sydney Opera House.

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
Looks like the site is pretty well closed down today but a crane (edit: small hydraulic crawler - not a big one!) is being disassembled (I'm pretty sure it's not being assembled) at 12:28pm, camera 1.

1141 - 1160 of 1161 Posts