SkyscraperCity banner

981 - 1000 of 1021 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
For the big nerds out there, I realized there is a visible tail number and I have some additional stats:

According to the website I pulled this from, the "wfu and std" means "withdrawn from use and stored".

Shipping this thing from Victorville is going to be quite a scene. I hope someone posts picture while it's en route. I'm guessing it won't be installed until summer 2022 at the rate these towers are going.

·
Registered
14,531 Posts
I assume that it will be cut in a few pieces. A 744 fuselage is a heck of a lot longer than a 737 fuselage.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm working on a DADU project and the client has to plant tress as part of it. They really like palms so we showed one and got this zoning correction from the city:

"We don’t consider windmill palms as trees, so you can plant one, but it won’t fulfill your tree planting requirement."

So I guess SDCI is not a palm fan.

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
I'm working on a DADU project and the client has to plant tress as part of it. They really like palms so we showed one and got this zoning correction from the city:

"We don’t consider windmill palms as trees, so you can plant one, but it won’t fulfill your tree planting requirement."

So I guess SDCI is not a palm fan.
They may be basing this on a technicality: palm trees are technically grasses....

·
Registered
9,275 Posts
The tarps are on the "fancy balcony" runs only it seems. Painting? Water proofing? I'd think all that comes after the glass though. Oh what do I know.

·
Registered
674 Posts
After further inspection, my guess is they're doing this for weather protection so that they can waterproof the balconies. It's shrinkwrap over some kind of scaffold system, basically for the extent of the balconies on each building.

I don't build highrises so I'm a little out of my league here but this seems like quite the contraption.

·
Registered
14,531 Posts
So apparently Vancouver House (BC), developed by Westbank is having some quality issues.
https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/lyqm7z I don’t know how fair this reddit is to the developer, but it does give me pause. You’ll see strata building mentioned in the reddit, which is a phrase I’m unfamiliar with, so Mr. Google provided me with this:
A strata scheme is a building, or collection of buildings, where individual each own a small portion known as a 'lot' but where there is also common property (e.g. external walls, windows, roofs, driveways, foyers, fences, lawns and gardens). Every owner shares the ownership of the common property.
I hope the problems don’t transfer over the border to this project, but lord knows their beginning hasn’t been smooth sailing.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Skimming the Reddit thread quickly, it seems like it's mostly people piling on to complain about poor quality projects in general. I'm sure there have been growing pains on the Vancouver House project just like there are with any project. I work on mid-rises with around 100 units most of the time and they can take 6-8 months to get settled out after they open. I could see a project this size taking a couple years, especially during a pandemic with materials shortages all over the place.
That said, the number of commenters noting the poor quality of Vancouver towers is definitely concerning. As difficult as our condo laws are in WA we generally don't have big build quality issues.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Seems like the main problem isn't the building finishing, it was the renovation done in the last year that ruined a lot of what was built. Vancouver has much lower building standards than this region, so I really don't think we have much to worry about. Though at least they didn't build The Mcguire....

·
Registered
209 Posts

Reminds me of this video (Telus Garden was also Westbank). Vancouver building standards are a joke when compared to their zoning restrictions and design review process (looking at you, Wall Centre glazing)

981 - 1000 of 1021 Posts