Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of the homeless population in Seattle?? is there too many of them, do they tick you off, do you not mind them, do you think theyre just plain gross?? how is is compared to other major cities??

·
Neanderthal
956 Posts
What do you think of the homeless population in Seattle?? is there too many of them, do they tick you off, do you not mind them, do you think theyre just plain gross?? how is is compared to other major cities??
People complain about the homeless problem here but I think that we're better off than a lot of other major U.S. cities. They don't really bother me in the slightest bit. They're just humans, like the rest of us, who just struck unlucky.

I do feel a bit sympathetic for them; especially, once when I saw a poor old lady digging in a garbage can for some food. :(

But anyway, this should not be a primary concern of ours. Every city "combats" homelessness, we just have to learn to adapt to that.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Call me snob if you want to... I want them to go away and leave us alone. I'm sick of having any homeless bums came up to my face and asked me for money daily for over two years now. Ugh!

·
Registered
894 Posts

i agree with crazy on this one. every time i go to dicks the same damn dude asks me for my cheeseburger. for the most part i don't mind em but there are a few that are ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I am still amazed at the number of homeless people in Seattle. It seems to be so many compared to other cities imo. It must be true because people who visit me from out of town are totally shocked by what they see.

·
Registered
894 Posts

yeah it's true, i've been to a lot of cities and i don't think anywhere compares to seattle in the homeless people catergory. i was amazed by how few i saw in ny. it's because seattle has good weather and too many people that are just fine with letting a person be a complete waste of a human body.

·
Journeyman
16,920 Posts
In NY, they're simply spread out more. At least four boroughs each have districts where it's possible to be a bum. In Seattle we only have a few.

San Francisco and LA have vastly more than we do.

Portland seems to have more also. At least they're more concentrated. The teenage type that hangs out in the U-District is right in Downtown Portland.

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
I want to start off by saying that I don't want them to migrate here to San Diego. But all homeless would be crazy not to try and walk to Southern California for the weather.

With that being said, there is a somewhat big amount of homeless already downtown San Diego. They hang out in the northern parts of downtown. They seemed to be getting pushed farther and farther back towards the freeway with new development. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing.

I try not to deal with them either way. But I do give on rare occasions. Very rare!

When I was there last year, I didn't notice too many homeless myself. I did see some though.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
It bothered me so much to seeing too many homeless bums kept begging people to drop some money with bullshit messages on their signs. They always stand just front of any business that has a sign said "Now Hiring or Help Wanted." The opportunities for them to turn their lives around is just right front of them and they chosen to ignore it. They should know that these minium wage jobs pay way more than they would earn on the street. :eek:hno: I am not feeling sorry for any of them at all! They have so many opportunities to turn their lives around. I don't care if they can't work because they're mental illness... There are many programs that would take care of them. My friend that works at a group home in Oregon, these clients were once homeless bums but now they're having good lives in the house with bathrooms, beds, healthy foods, shower/bath, clean clothes, etc. No excuse for anyone who lives on the street. :eek:hno:

I support every opportunity that WILL take them off of the street.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^ I completly agree!!!!!!!!!!! They are discusting!! Especially when theyre in the touristy sections of Seattle, its kind of embarassing... I was downtown shopping yesterday and I was waiting to cross the street and some loonie comes up to me and starts shouting in my face... I wanted to f****** punch him!!!!!!!!!!!

Seattle really needs to act like they care and get them off the streets...

Another thing I cant understand is why its only like this in America... whenever I go to Europe, sure there are a few but nothing like this.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
^^ I noticed that too. I wonder why in USA? I think they might feel that USA is too free for them to do whatever they want to than compared to another developed countries?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another thing I cant understand is why its only like this in America... whenever I go to Europe, sure there are a few but nothing like this.
I'm going to guess it's because most other modern industrial countries have some kind of plan for dealing with their homeless.

It seems our plan is to try not to think about it. And why should we; look at the progress we've made on other issues like global warming, public transportation, energy depletion, nuclear proliferation, poverty, etc. Just by not doing anything at all! USA! USA!

But seriously, there are people out there who dedicate a huge chunk of their lives to these problems. If you're really concerned, I would suggest finding one of them and seeing what they have to say, or do your own research. You might be surprised what you find.

One thing I've heard over and over is that Seattle spends on emergency services for the homeless 2-3 times what it would cost to simply give them a place to live with food and comparable services on sight. ER, hospital, police, ambulance, jail, and the court system end up dealing with problems that could be done in one place far more cheaply. Imagine paying less in taxes and as a result having fewer homeless people.

This won't work for everybody but already we are saving money and reclaiming our public spaces. As long as we are doing these two things, I couldn't care less what people are up to. Give them booze and drugs, that's what we're doing anyway. Just do it somewhere besides downtown. Like anything else, progress here is going to require a lot of thought and experimentation. It will also require a public willing to trade a sense of moral superiority for walkable streets, usable public space, and people-free dumpsters.

·
Journeyman
16,920 Posts
Sounds good to me.

Most of that is the theory behind the new 70-unit place at Denny & Howell. I love the concept. The difference is they have to buy their own beer.

On the flipside I also like the new rules that make it harder to buy cheap alcohol.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Having lived in homeless-mass-populated cities...

There are two types. One is actually someone who has no choice but to beg and you have to feel some sympathy for them. The other are "career-homeless" who actually think they can make a living by representing themselves as such. The problem is telling the two apart.

They tend to congregate in warmer weather cities, and in cities that are more accepting of them. San Francisco has had a problem with this for years, if not decades. Eugene, Oregon is also a hotspot. What is truely troubling is you are starting to see them in places like Missoula, Montana, and Pocatello, Idaho.

I seriously don't know what the answer is. I do know that there is less governmental help for the truely homeless. I won't say this is right or wrong, but it is reality. Should we pay for their shelter, or should we allow them to increase their presence on the streets of our major (and now, minor cities)?
Not sure there is a good answer to that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Something else to keep in mind:

A lot of people with mental health issues are homeless. They were kicked out of asylums (they're so inhumane!) and governments were happy to get rid of them (imagine paying their health care costs today) so now we all pay the price as they are left to the streets to care for themselves. The lucky ones have families that 1) care about them 2) can afford to help them. The unlucky ones end up with all sort of issues, usually on display everyday in our cities.

(That said, while many people with severe mental health issues are homeless, not every homeless person has mental health issues.)

Mental health is expensive to deal with and no one seems to want to pay for it. I don't know of an easy solution. It kind of sucks all around.

Also, as to "why couldn't we go to the old model and pen them in asylums?" It's because it'd be expected these days that we actually try to treat their mental illness (which is terribly expensive) instead of just treating them like rowdy children in daycare (or animals) like we used to (see One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest... laff/cry). Everyone would probably like them back in asylums but the same people don't want to pay for it but then they get upset at the conditions. :p

Solutions? I'm with pwalker. I don't know. It's not my focus. I hope someone figures it out.

·
10,492 Posts
Also, as to "why couldn't we go to the old model and pen them in asylums?" It's because it'd be expected these days that we actually try to treat their mental illness (which is terribly expensive) instead of just treating them like rowdy children in daycare (or animals) like we used to (see One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest... laff/cry). Everyone would probably like them back in asylums but the same people don't want to pay for it but then they get upset at the conditions. :p
Actually, the main reason why we don't put them in asylums anymore is because of an early 80's Supreme Court ruling which said that people who are not a threat to society cannot be institutionalized against their will. That, more than anything else, was a big cause in the rise of homelessness starting in the 80's.

·
Registered
104 Posts
ok "CRAZYABOUTCITIES" , I am compelled to point out the irony of someone who demanded in earlier posts that movie theaters should all be made to show everything in subtitles to be fair to people with disabilities or some such thing. But you feel the homeless, and/or people with mental disabilities should basically "get out of your way". Have you ever tried to get a job without an address, how exactly are these mentaly ill people supposed to take advantage of all these "programs" you speak of if they cannot read, or they they have dellusions etc not to mention the people who were abused sexually and otherwise or were born to parents that didnt give SH--, or went and fought for our country came back and were left to rot,
here is a quote from crazyaboutcities

"Please think about another people's needs than thinking about yourself. If you're in their shoes, you would understand what they have been though. I suggest you to try to be deaf and stop using your voices for ONE WEEK (no cheating), you will be very surprised how it impact your life. You should try it. "

maybe you should take your own advice, try to be homeless for a week
I have lived downtown for many years, and yes, some of the homeless are probably not doing everthing they can or even desire to change, but your sweeping generalizations are frankly scary, and I would rather share downtown with a lazy potsmoking homeless person than a person who thinks they are better than everyone else ( I may be making an unfair assumption about you, and I understand you are not alone in your feelings, but your whole argument for "getting rid of the homeless" seems to be basically ewhh!! disgusting!!! why dont they change!
if you really want to eliminate this problem, go volunteer your time or your money, not your hate.
(did I mention I love this forum!!)

·
Registered
894 Posts

a guy i work with homeless for a long time, one day he got tired of it. he went to the ymca got some clothes out of lost and found took a shower went out and got a job. he's now been employed for 12 years

1 - 20 of 121 Posts