Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why doesn't Miami go more vertical with its low-income housing.Most of the projects are one story in the Liberty City area around 75th street and 62nd street around I-95 and west of there. I was thinking about the demand for land.It seems it would be more economical to build low-cost mid-rises to house more tenants, than to have one-story projects spread all over the place.Maintenance cost on elevators could be a problem,other than that it seems feasible.Any thoughts on this?

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
I dunno, noland. Vertical low-cost housing (assuming you're talking about 20-plus floor buildings) has a VERY negative history in this country.

Places like New York and Chicago literally imploded complexes like that back in the 90s when they were getting their shit together as livable cities. Google "Cabrini Green" as an example (hope I got the spelling right).

Structures like that just seem to acquire an institutional nature over time...as if people are trying to be "hidden" and boxed in a way.

There's no perfect answer, but the best I've seen recently is reconstruction of the rowhouse concept. It's urban density that is relatively inexpensive to build but it ALSO provides a little bit of a yard, some privacy, and a sense of connection (and responsibility) to what's going on outside the front door. There's a good example of it not far from me that I'll post a pic of if there's one available.

Big, soulless concrete towers just seem to foment even more problems. People want a sense of "ownership" even when they don't actually own the space, y'know?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Apparently no one has seen the large buildings going up at 79th St. and I-95. No that's not a luxury hotel their building there... not in that neighborhood.

Also the one on 79th and NE 2nd Ave. a few blocks west of the INS building. Again... not a luxury hotel or office building folks. ;)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes,I have seen these buildings and somewhat the type of housing the city needs..Somebody also suggested rowhouses and that could possibly work as well.Its all a trade-off.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I'm all for them building giant affordable housing towers right by the Brownsville, MLK and Northside metrorail stations, like they did by the Allapatah station. That will get more people using the metrorail on the underutilized section north of civic center. I don't know how many more or if it will be enough to matter, but its a start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts