SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
abdulsharifshoots.com
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
156,435 people, plus alot of stars show up for Kentucky Derby.

Kid Rock

Jermaine Dupri, Usher

guy from Letterman

Dick Ebersoll

Ron Harper

Regina king

Jamy Lynn Discala

Henry Simmons

Matthew Smith

Gabrielle Union

Smokey Robinson

Tori Spelling

Rick Pitino

kid Rock again

The infield

A dude from Detroit

Folks from Ohio

Can't forget the West End, and the cruising..even though 4 people did get shot :(

dudes from Indianapolis

Indiana folks

dude from Cincinnati's adult magazine "8 ball"

traffic was backed all the way up to 2nd street.

·
abdulsharifshoots.com
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something stupid always happend though. It seemed so fun untill all the shooting started. :(

Ohio man dies after shooting on West Broadway during cruising

06:08 PM EDT on Sunday, May 8, 2005

Louisville --A post Derby celebration turns deadly.

It happened Saturday night, in the middle of thousands of people who were cruising West Broadway in Louisville.

The Jefferson County Coroner's office says an Ohio man, 29 year old Van Edward Davis Junior was shot multiple times. He died Saturday night.

Police arrested three people at the scene and they say they have chartged a Cincinnati man with complicity to commit this murder.

But they are still looking for other suspects.

The shooting took place in a crowded McDonald's parking lot. But it was not the first problem at that location last night.

There was a second man shot in the leg.

Up until that point, it had been a fairly quiet night of cruising but it changed quickly.

"It's sad we can't get together and have a good time. It's sad".

Latasha Edmondson was one of the cruisers. Five block west at 17th and Broadway.

"I want my kids to grow up and go to the Derby. But if they don't quit actin like this, they're gonna have to close it down," she says.

The shooter simply was brazen. There were a number of officers already in the lot. McDonald's managers had police close the lobby. Too many fights inside, they said.

"We don't like what happened," says Minister Jerald Muhammed of the Nation of Islam. "Today is mother's day, that would have to be a mother's worst nightmare, getting the call saying she'd lost her son"

On Sunday at 12th and Broadway, the trash remains. But the crime scene was gone.

The only reminder, the National Guard helicopter above even without the crowds.

"We don't really have nothing to do," said Vanessa Porter, who cruised last night. "And we feel like with something like this going on, we should be able to have a nice time"

Those who did crusie on Saturday night will remeber it for awhile.

Those who saw the scene at McDonald's won't soon forget it.

The shooting is the third this weekend for cruising on or near Broadway.

Metro Police shut cruising down on Friday and Saturday at 2:00am. They are targeting 7:00pm Sunday night to end cruising.

Minister Muhammed said the nation of Islam will host a meeting on Tuesday with other community leaders to figure out how to stop crimes like this from happening.

Another shooting took place on Friday night in the parking lot of Papa John's at 22nd and Broadway. A person was injuried in that shooting.

Both appear to be the result of arguments.

Officers also reported that there were two stabbings as a result of cruising on Friday night but no serious injuries in either of those cases.

Metro Police had planned to keep the event under control. Officers had planned to clear Broadway of cruiser traffic by 2:00am on Friday and Saturday night. They also plan to clear the street by 8:00pm on Sunday.

http://www.whas11.com/topstories/stories/WHAS11_TOPSTORY__Cruising_Shooting.255ad49ba.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
no kidding cwilson. so there was a huge gathering of people and some tempers flared and somebody had a gun and somebody got shot. it happens in all cities. so a shooting during derby weekend doesnt make louisville some gangster hot spot or something.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It was my understanding that the culprits werent even from Louisville ...

The Derby time is probably the most exciting time for many in Louisville, as when I first came here they all babbled about how great it was and derby this and derby that...it really is a great time, but yes unfortunately it passes before your eyes very quickly and the rest of the year you are left with .... Louisville ;)

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
I have been to Louisville during Derby, and yes, the City is packed, but it just didn't do anything for me.

But hey, Louisvil;le has a lot to be proud of. Every other City in the country would love to host the Derby.

Was Anna-Nicole there this year???

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
HAHAHA, I remember watching her show like 2 years ago and she had an episode all in Louisville, those were the drunken fat days though, she is probably too busy purging and writing her ghastly new column in the National Enquirer.

I have heard the derby compared to the 500 in hype and crowd...I am sure the demographic is probably a little different, but what is 500 time like up there?

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
The 500 used to be so much better than what it is now. The City was a mad house. Now is is only like 2.5 weeks long. There is the mini-marathon, 500 festival parade, and then something every day the week prior to the race. The 500 is still the World's most watched sporting event with 400,000+ in attendence and an audience close to a billion worldwide.

·
BOILERMAKER
534 Posts
cwilson758 said:
two days don't make a city.
You're right, 2 days do not make a city. Nor do the two weeks that actually make up the Kentucky Derby Festival....one of America's largest civic festivals.

However, backhanded slaps against Louisville are not really all that appreciated...we all know your opinion of Louisville and you know mine of Indianapolis, yet you do not find me going to Indy threads and saying snide comments.

SChristopher...is there a reason you're still in this town? One day you love Louisville, the next you hate it....One day you hate Cleveland, then you love it....Cincy, Columbus, and Indianapolis.....all the same story. WHY ARE YOU STILL IN ANY OF THESE CITIES?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
What on earth are you talking about, I didnt say anything but it passes by pretty quick and it is not the glitzy city it looks like during the festival. Chill out. And I dont know where you and your butt bud Coldayman get your stuff because I love Cleveland never really said anything bad about it ever I dont think other than maybe that the weather sucked, which is my biggest issue probably with all of these cities, because I like being outside and not looking like a ball of pastey dough 5 months out of the year. I love Indy I was going to move there but the job I had going there fell though....I dont care for Louisville all that much but my house is here, I can swallow it. See you cant just go roaming the country without money and move on a dime, but yes I am leaving to somewhere far far away in the coming month, dont worry I will still grace your precious Louisville threads so you dont get bored of not going on bitchy tyrades.

and just an FYI I never lived anywhere in those cities but Louisville and Cincinnati. I took trips to Columbus for various reasons and never really claimed to enjoy it I also took an extended trip to Cleveland that I found very pleasurable, maybe two years ago I had a different opinion of it, but certainly not after those 2 weeks...

Since you are so interested in me and my affairs I will also add that I moved to Cincinnati to get away from Louisville and I was bored as hell down here, but for different reasons that was pretty regressive....still having my house down here I came back .... I cant just say oh tomorrow I am going to go lay down 5000 down to get a house in San Diego .... Ya Dig?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
LouisvilleJake said:
You're right, 2 days do not make a city. Nor do the two weeks that actually make up the Kentucky Derby Festival....one of America's largest civic festivals.

However, backhanded slaps against Louisville are not really all that appreciated...we all know your opinion of Louisville and you know mine of Indianapolis, yet you do not find me going to Indy threads and saying snide comments.

SChristopher...is there a reason you're still in this town? One day you love Louisville, the next you hate it....One day you hate Cleveland, then you love it....Cincy, Columbus, and Indianapolis.....all the same story. WHY ARE YOU STILL IN ANY OF THESE CITIES?
You can still be content in a place while recognizing it's faults and downsides at the same time. Just because he's not jumping up and down about a horse race doesn't mean he's bashing his town.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.