Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
I double dog dare you!!!
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My city has double decks....always woundered if any other city has them too.

IH-35 from IH-10 north to the US Hwy.281-IH-35 and IH-37 interchanges, IH-35 forms an upper and lower deck.

IH-10 from the IH-35 and IH-10 Y interchange downtown west for 2 miles it forms the city's second deck system.....no pics...computer is sick...but check out this link.....LATEST SITE UPDATES

http://www.texhwyman.com/san.htm

·
Nonhyphenated-American
3,371 Posts
There is a section of double-decking at the I-71/90/490/OH 176 interchange in Cleveland, OH.

There are also many bridges on the USA's interstate system that are double-deck.

Don't forget the double and triple-deck streets near the river in downtown Chicago, IL, too.

Mike

·
I double dog dare you!!!
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^nice pics
Here's the decks in San Antonio -USA
IH-10 Double pic - bottom

IH-35 Double pic -top

The "Y" that Connects the Double sections
Satilite view

Elevated view

·
Just A Pilot... :-)
526 Posts
The San Francisco Bay area used to be kings of double-deck freeways. The Cypress Street Viaduct [Interstate 880] in Oakland and East Bay Bridge both suffered collapses in the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake. The Embarcadero Freeway was torn down, the Central Freeway spur was shortened and reconstructed single-deck and I want to say there is another stretch of freeway in the city of SF [either Interstate 80 or 280] that is double-deck.

Anyone have pictures of these freeways? :hug:

·
Registered
7,585 Posts

Washington State Highway 99, known as the Alaskan Way Viaduct in downtown Seattle. It was damaged in the 2001 Nisqually quake (engineers calculated that had the quake continued for another 20 seconds, it would have collapsed), and needs to be replaced for fears that it will collapse in a strong earthquake.

There has been a very bitter debate over how to replace it. State wants a new double decker freeway that will be bigger. City used to want a freeway tunnel (but voters soundly rejected it), now they are leaning towards a surface boulevard (similar to what San Fran did with the Embarcadero).

Most of what is shown in this picture is on seismically unsound soil and will be made into a surface freeway.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The San Francisco Bay area used to be kings of double-deck freeways. The Cypress Street Viaduct [Interstate 880] in Oakland and East Bay Bridge both suffered collapses in the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake. The Embarcadero Freeway was torn down, the Central Freeway spur was shortened and reconstructed single-deck and I want to say there is another stretch of freeway in the city of SF [either Interstate 80 or 280] that is double-deck.

Anyone have pictures of these freeways? :hug:
The cypress viaduct

The Embarcadero

Some other ones

·
Just A Pilot... :-)
526 Posts
Some other ones
Thanks! :cool:

So this is the last remaining double-deck freeway in the Bay Area, the Southern Embarcadero. Not sure why this freeway design was so popular in an earthquake prone region, common sense says it will pancake you!

According to Wikipedia the Alaskan Way Viaduct is of the same design as the structurally flawed Cypress Viaduct.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Cypress Viaduct was highly unpopular among the city residents, and it was actually never finished. The current waterfront view from Embarcadero is very nice, and looking at the above pictures it is easy to understand why the double-decked viaduct was disliked. The earthquake just neared its end.

·
Nonhyphenated-American
3,371 Posts
George-Washington-Bridge New York
In addition to on the GWB, there is a double-deck bridge on I-95 in Philadelphia.

I should try to assemble a complete list of double-deck sections on the USA's I-system.

(incomplete list)
-I-10/35 San Antonio, TX
-I-70 Glenwood Canyon, CO
-I-71/OH 176 interchange, Cleveland, OH
-I-71/75 Ohio River bridge, Cincinnati, OH/Covington, KY
-I-80 San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge
-I-95 GWB - NYC/Fort Lee, NJ
-I-95 Schuylkill River bridge, Philadelphia, PA
-I-110 elevated express lanes, Los Angeles, CA
-I-278 Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (near Brooklyn Bridge), NYC
-I-278 Verrazano Narrows Bridge, NYC
-I-380 Cedar River bridge, Cedar Rapids, IA (city street below freeway)

I am debating whether to include:
-I-93 Boston, MA (city streets above freeway)

Mike

1 - 20 of 41 Posts