SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
You must try so hard to actually find faults in the sea of pros. But really you cant compare Melbourne to Halifax. They've held much larger sporting events in the past and naturally, the CWG's isnt as big a deal there as it would be if they were to come to Halifax. If the games are held in Halifax, the response from the rest of the maritimes atleast would be astounding.

But on another note, I have heard tell that if we are not awarded the games, there may be efforts to build some of the infrastructure anyway. We arent paying for the facilities to be used just during the games. Otherwise it would be a real waste of money.

·
Registered
344 Posts
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah yes the old "it will be different in halifax line" Yes with more facilities to build , fewer people to draw from in the local area (Lets compare 5 million in the state of victoria to 900,000 in nova scotia shall we??) and sports like netball and rugby that sure says it will be different in Halifax. Yeah more of a financial burden to the taxpayers of the HRM and Nova Scotia then Melbourne and the state of Victoria.

jim jones

655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HaliGuy said:
I'm not sure you can contribute a drop in tourism to the games. Tourism is down world wide thanks to inflated gas prices and the works

Yes funny thing is the australian grand prix held annually in melbourne had a sell out once again one week after the commonwealth games.U2 during the commonwealth games had two sold out shows of 60000 ticket a show in Melbournes Telstra Dome at twice the price for tickets of a day of track and field would cost in MCG. Read the article it was a locally attended event as far as the CWG's 2006 . Formula one is a draw internationally and the CWG's are not. If the price of gas stopped someone from deciding to go to australia for the games then that is not a good business model to base 2 billion in public spending here. There are not TV revenues , there are no tourism dollars there is no mercahntdizing value and absolutely no commercial value with the commonwealth games.

Jim jones

·
Registered
254 Posts
Jonestowncultinpicto said:
Ah yes the old "it will be different in halifax line" Yes with more facilities to build , fewer people to draw from in the local area (Lets compare 5 million in the state of victoria to 900,000 in nova scotia shall we??) and sports like netball and rugby that sure says it will be different in Halifax. Yeah more of a financial burden to the taxpayers of the HRM and Nova Scotia then Melbourne and the state of Victoria.

jim jones
It didnt say less tourists than Nova Scotia, it said less tourists than average. And like I said, Australia has held larger events than the CWG. In reality to them its just another event, but to Halifax it would be an epic point in history. We've never experienced anything even in the shadow of the scale of the CWG. I guarentee we can get quite reasonable numbers of people spectating and getting involved in the CWG. Because as I see it, people will come from all over the maritimes for this. Take the rolling stones concert for example. other larger centres get shows like that frequently and never really pay that much attention to it. But here, it was the talk of the maritimes for months on end. the CWG would be the same way, just on a larger scale.

655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Wishblade said:
It didnt say less tourists than Nova Scotia, it said less tourists than average. And like I said, Australia has held larger events than the CWG. In reality to them its just another event, but to Halifax it would be an epic point in history. We've never experienced anything even in the shadow of the scale of the CWG. I guarentee we can get quite reasonable numbers of people spectating and getting involved in the CWG. Because as I see it, people will come from all over the maritimes for this. Take the rolling stones concert for example. other larger centres get shows like that frequently and never really pay that much attention to it. But here, it was the talk of the maritimes for months on end. the CWG would be the same way, just on a larger scale.

Oh come on now you are trying to compare the rolling stones to the commonwealth games? The rolling stones sell out every place they play and have the records for the biggest free concert in the history of the world ironically during the time of the torino olympics. They played copacabana beach in RIO in feb. 2006 Then there is the SARS concert which was the largest concert with admission ever. I bet the price of oil or gasoline had no bairing on RIO or Toronto having mass amounts of people to those concerts with a good number of those travelling from all over the place.
The Rolling stones in on typical tour make more from merchantdize alone then the commonwealth games has ever had in corporate sponsorship. And then you get into tickets sales.
Yeah the Pope was supposed to fill the Halifax Commons but the turn out was only 25 percent of capacity. funny the Pope has never come back and that was not because he wanted to relive the 160,000 that was predicted would show up. They lost money on it. The collection plates did not cover the expenses unlike other places he would visit and be actually making money to take home to Rome.
Moncton was unique for the stones and the maritimes as it was the first time for a WORLD CLASSED decades top gross concert act. The commonwealth games would be unique in that 2 billion will be spent on a franchise that cant even get one single nationwide retailer to stock CWG merchantdize in the mother land of great britian even when the games were held in manchester. That is how far the Commonwealth games in down the scale of commerical value. There were no fewer tourists then AVERAGE it is 14,000 Less foreign visitors then the same period the year before. In other words not only were the predictions of an additional 35,000 foreign visitors for the games wrong they lost 14000 (or nearly half of what they hoped for)that they would have without the 2 billion dollar circus. They fell short by 59,000 foriegn visitors or the total capacity of all the aquatic events COMBINED. Australians and victoria state citizens bought the tickets and the commitee was 496,000 short of a sellout 7 days before the opening ceremonies. 496,000 was what sponsors and private vendors turned into the committee. Closing ceremonies had 7 million worth of tickets given away.
Like John Paul II people would avoid the commonwealth games because of hipe of big crowds. People pay for a World Famous high quality brand like the Rolling Stones and know they are dealing with Crowds now caring as you have a show of hit songs. With John Paul II and the commonwealth games you are looking at a brand that a select few want and the majority of people will want to avoid because they beleive it is shear boredom and the least and a total nuisance at the worst.

jim jones

·
Registered
521 Posts
I dunno why you keep complaining about the rugby. It's a lot more popular here than you seem to think and would definitely be a draw for a lot of people, not something to avoid

·
The ASS in Class
212 Posts
Jim

I've got to agree with you... this time. The CWG are the apple, where as The Stones/John Paul II are the oranges. What the CWG does stand for, is the possiblity to strengthen this regions ability to "take care of it's own". What I mean is, we'll have athletic training facilities on par with the rest of the country, not relics of the inagural Canada Games from 1967... Okay so we don't get the games, that's fine as long as we get infrastucture. That would give this region a boost that would be just as good. Imagine being able to take a ferry from Purcell's cove to Write's cove... or Shannon Park to Downtown Hali... not to mention the ugrades the roads would get, and possibly rail. I think what people want more than anything, is what would come with the games. Mind you the Stones show kicked ass, even though Moncton lost alot ALOT of money, they should of had it in Halifax, where everybody in the Atlantic provinces goes. Sorry Moncton

·
Registered
254 Posts
Reddog794 said:
Mind you the Stones show kicked ass, even though Moncton lost alot ALOT of money, they should of had it in Halifax, where everybody in the Atlantic provinces goes. Sorry Moncton
I know this is a little off topic, but I heard that the stones are supposed to do a show in Halifax September 23rd. I havn't heard a lot on it though.

·
The ASS in Class
212 Posts
that's the word on the street... it would work here, I think we'd make money out of it too. All they would need is to have the trailer park boys to go on stage and it would be a show to remember. They could even have a jam session with Bubbs, imagine that the Stones doing liquor and whores... I think I'd cry

655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wishblade said:
I know this is a little off topic, but I heard that the stones are supposed to do a show in Halifax September 23rd. I havn't heard a lot on it though.
Well that will be hard for the Stones to do seeing as they are playing europe. As to losses for the city of moncton you had over estimates for security by the RCMP and the 650,000 dollars of one time expense for site prep to bring the magentic hill facility to the standards for outdoor shows like the stones. I would say Moncton should go for a U2 show or AD DC . They have the facility now and Halifax does not. The Stones were sold out in moncton last year on labour day. After labour day in canada you really are risking weather having an influence on sales for outdoor shows .
Oh and just as a side note to figures in Melbourne 2006 Seems the same man who ran the CWGs also runs the annual Grand Prix of Australia in melbourne. And this article questions how Ron Walker adds up the attendance figures at the grand prix this year. With his credibility in question on the Grand Prix I am sure the actual attendance and cost figures can be questioned as well for the CWG's. Basing a CWG's bid and commitment of tax monies to halifax is questionable when you are taking advice from a man who is known in melbourne to stretch the truth a little OR alot in the case of the grand prix.Counting staff with passes and corporate give aways and not actual turnstyle numbers speaks volumes.
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/04/06/1143916656744.html

Jim jones

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well that will be hard for the Stones to do seeing as they are playing europe. As to losses for the city of moncton you had over estimates for security by the RCMP and the 650,000 dollars of one time expense for site prep to bring the magentic hill facility to the standards for outdoor shows like the stones. I would say Moncton should go for a U2 show or AD DC . They have the facility now and Halifax does not.
Actually the stones are done in Europe at the end of August and thats are far as the schedule shows. And as for Halifax not having the facility, we do have a couple that could throw it. the commons which would be a decent size, but ultimately, Shearwater airport could be set for an incredible capacity if it were used. But I do agree that U2 or ACDC would really be the only bands on earth that could match or exceed crowds, maybe Pink Floyd, and I am hoping that one of them plays the maritmes in the future.

655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wishblade said:
Actually the stones are done in Europe at the end of August and thats are far as the schedule shows. And as for Halifax not having the facility, we do have a couple that could throw it. the commons which would be a decent size, but ultimately, Shearwater airport could be set for an incredible capacity if it were used. But I do agree that U2 or ACDC would really be the only bands on earth that could match or exceed crowds, maybe Pink Floyd, and I am hoping that one of them plays the maritmes in the future.
so what you are saying is the stones will play halifax and not cost 650,000 dollars for a stage and other facilites like they did in moncton. The peeing contest of halifax getting something moncton had the year before is so stupid really. Atleast with moncton they are the first and they do it right with provisions to expand their facilities. The moncton colusium could be easily expanded to 20,000 seats where as the metro centre you cannot do it. The talk of a new metro centre is so lame it is incredible. an estimate of 150 million is laffable . Try 300 million us is the typical construction cost for a modern arena for 16,000 to 20,000.
I am sure shearwater airport, the commons and citidel hill will not allow a perminent concert slab in the middle of any of those areas. That is what the stones require to position the massive ammount of steel they have with their stage set. Citidel hill is out as it is a heritage site,it was barely fine with temporary staging but A rolling stones type show is a far cry from nickelback. The commons you would have the opposition from heritage groups IE. the Twin Towers and Shearwater would turn it down as you would probably distrupt the operations there. The central concert venue is in the geographic center of the region moncton. The costs of an extra three hours off the beat and path for a outdoor tour are huge. You have a straight line from boston to moncton , cover the martimes and 3 hours closer to montreal or quebec city then halifax. Very simple math when you are the stones with 100 tractor trailers, 40 plus buses and 200 people on staff. You shorten your routes and make money by not only sales but saving travelling expenses. The Stones have the halifax people come to moncton not the stones come to halifax.
Thus another reason why a stadium will not have another tenant post CWG.

jim jones

·
Registered
344 Posts
so what you are saying is the stones will play halifax and not cost 650,000 dollars for a stage and other facilites like they did in moncton. The peeing contest of halifax getting something moncton had the year before is so stupid really. Atleast with moncton they are the first and they do it right with provisions to expand their facilities. The moncton colusium could be easily expanded to 20,000 seats where as the metro centre you cannot do it. The talk of a new metro centre is so lame it is incredible. an estimate of 150 million is laffable . Try 300 million us is the typical construction cost for a modern arena for 16,000 to 20,000.
I am sure shearwater airport, the commons and citidel hill will not allow a perminent concert slab in the middle of any of those areas. That is what the stones require to position the massive ammount of steel they have with their stage set. Citidel hill is out as it is a heritage site,it was barely fine with temporary staging but A rolling stones type show is a far cry from nickelback. The commons you would have the opposition from heritage groups IE. the Twin Towers and Shearwater would turn it down as you would probably distrupt the operations there. The central concert venue is in the geographic center of the region moncton. The costs of an extra three hours off the beat and path for a outdoor tour are huge. You have a straight line from boston to moncton , cover the martimes and 3 hours closer to montreal or quebec city then halifax. Very simple math when you are the stones with 100 tractor trailers, 40 plus buses and 200 people on staff. You shorten your routes and make money by not only sales but saving travelling expenses. The Stones have the halifax people come to moncton not the stones come to halifax.
Thus another reason why a stadium will not have another tenant post CWG.

jim jones

You have to be the most negitive person I have ever come across. Geech... lighten up will ya.

·
Registered
521 Posts
What if the Stones do come here? What will you say then?

As a side note, apparantly U2 was considering Shearwater as a venue for both their PopMart (1997/98) and Vertigo (2005/06) tours... It would probably be easier to use now since there is less and less activity... a lot of that land is potentially up for grabs anyway.

655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bluenoser said:
What if the Stones do come here? What will you say then?

As a side note, apparantly U2 was considering Shearwater as a venue for both their PopMart (1997/98) and Vertigo (2005/06) tours... It would probably be easier to use now since there is less and less activity... a lot of that land is potentially up for grabs anyway.
I would have to say good luck halifax because you will need it. the Amateur soccer league would ahve to question why they now have to pay new user fees while the stones get subsidized for a second time in 14 months in the maritime region. Gosh U2 was considering playing Shearwater in 1997 and 2005 ????
I must have said the wrong thing to Bono and the Edge when I told them how bad the canadian dollar was doing in 1995. I can rembmer it like yesterday. Bono, The Edge,Steve Vaive, his borther and a bunch of guys from prince edward island talking in the hotel suite in toronto.

jim jones

655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bluenoser said:
You really talked to Steve Vaive?

yes actually I was with a band that the drummer was best friends with the Vaive family . remember that is Steve Vaive the hockey player formeraly of the toronto maple leafs not Steve VAI the guitar player. That meeting actually did happen with the Vaive clan, Bono and the Edge in Toronto but I wasnt there.

Just poking fun at urban myths and rumors.

jim jones

1 - 20 of 22 Posts