Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
77,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some of you guys have got your wish
seems like he might join this yers dead p00l with the Pope & Renae?
I didnt realize how old he was? 81 is a pretty good run.

·
Registered
77,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ they will be his swan song.

·
me!
582 Posts
This death I actually do care about.

Although contraversial, there is no doubt that he is one of the great, if not the greatest Australian architects of our time. For those who refuse to appreciate his sort of architecture, that is their loss.

The end of an era!

one of his first works Rose Seidler house (1948):

Hamilton House (1989)
His houses are to die for:

·
328 Posts
I feel sorry for the old guy, retrospectively (I wanted to use that word for ages) anyone who did the mlc centre cant be all bad.

·
Registered
77,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
his not dead yet sydneydude. lol
but yeah he is definatley an enigma. i will miss his big bldgs. he always has big plans. nothings ever small.i suppose his collegues will carry on with his works.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
^?

I would imagine not.
Not the same anyway. Probably wont be seeing any more "seidler clones" anymore.
I mean, they were his designs. His collegues would have their own ideas.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
yes, but i was saying they probably would want to keep doing the same designs they did when he was the boss man.

·
Registered
77,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ or even a term of architecure? eg- "that building over there looks very seidlerish"! seidlerism= large curved white/beige buidings with shutters and large foyers.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
did he design Riparian plaza before or after his stroke? :runaway:

Avatar, just in case he does pass off this mortal coil you MUSt get your CV up to date mate, golden opportunity for some shimmering shards of glass in Sydney.......

·
Melbourne Zealot
1,300 Posts
CULWULLA said:
^ they will be his swan song.
good one. poor fella. oh well, he's human not concrete.

all the death and concrete jokes are coming out now...lucky he didn't have (concrete) cancer...

christarrant: did he design Riparian plaza before or after his stroke?
dear oh dear...that was good!

and his buildings are to DIE for...

well, I think that his early modernism was good. Rose Seidler house is still great and was well ahead of its time. But his method of bulldozing whole blocks of heritage value was despicable, and most of his scraper designs left much to be desired. I rather liked his low rise modern houses, but disliked most of his scraper work, except perhaps horizon/latitude (I can't remember which is which). australia "square" and MLC were ahead of their time, but does time look kindly on them? truly, we all hated the awnings/sunshades and mushrooming of the same design - ugh...even his institutional buildings (like Waverley City Council) were dreadful IMHO. well, end of an era...

·
Banned
3 Posts

I'm sure i am not the only one to have noticed this, but this a copycat design of Sydney's skyscraper behind Circular Quay. Did he rip off other architects existing designs??

Which hospital is he in, for the stroke? does anybody know? Penny's father suffered from a stressed artery on his left thigh (we think it was originally DVT from the flight back from surfers paradise), and spent time in Cronulla-Sutherland hospital. there was an architect there who had a stroke who did some buildings.. for divine homes.. some of his r built at this estate in cambelltown.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Sexy_Samantha said:

I'm sure i am not the only one to have noticed this, but this a copycat design of Sydney's skyscraper behind Circular Quay. Did he rip off other architects existing designs??

Which hospital is he in, for the stroke? does anybody know? Penny's father suffered from a stressed artery on his left thigh (we think it was originally DVT from the flight back from surfers paradise), and spent time in Cronulla-Sutherland hospital. there was an architect there who had a stroke who did some buildings.. for divine homes.. some of his r built at this estate in cambelltown.
Alot of his buildings look similar. But in international terms there is nothing like them and it will be a long time before we have such a distinctive architect again.

Sam - that building in Melbourne, the Shell Building was designed before that one behind circular quay - as I said a lot of his designs were similar. Unfortunately the Shell Building was one of his worst designs, it would have been better on a Sydney lot where the the density of the buildings would have ensured the ugly ends were covered. Perhaps one day they will be.

jt

·
Banned
1 Posts
Look whoever thinks their so cool tring to pretend to be me can you please stop it, I don't know how you got my photo, but seriously I would never call myself sexy Samantha, i have more class than that, I have no idea who this guy is your talking about and I have no idea what your talking about, copycats and hospitals?

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
I have no wish for him to pass away yet and as I've posted quite a few times in this forum, despite what you think about his designs truly becomes irrelevant in his times of sickness. Harry Seidler was born in Vienna in 1923 (which makes him about 82 - 83 years old), arriving in Australia in 1948 from the United States.

Harry Seidler has truly become one of Australia's interantional architects, with projects already completed in Hong Kong and his birthplace Vienna. To see more of Seidler's projects in Mexico, Hong Kong and Vienna go to Seidler's Projects

1 - 20 of 38 Posts