Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Boosting DC's image
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This legislation was already passed by the House of Representatives with a wider-than-expected margin. It appears to be gaining momentum in the Senate.

Senate Majority Leader Backs D.C. Voting-Rights Bill

By Mary Beth Sheridan
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, June 6, 2007; 6:02 PM

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) pledged his support today for a D.C. voting-rights bill during a meeting with Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.), Mayor Adrian M. Fenty and D.C. Council members at the Capitol.

Reid praised the city's representatives for their advocacy of the bill, "which I look forward to bringing to the Senate floor." He gave no date when that might occur.

He also praised Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.) for shepherding the legislation through the Senate. Lieberman told those at the meeting that the bill will come to a vote next Wednesday in his Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

If it passes, the measure then goes to the Senate floor. The bill has already passed the House of Representatives.

"We had a great meeting. We talked about strategy. We got the full commitment from the majority leader of the Senate to have a vote on it soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it was as early as July," said Fenty (D).

The bill would add two seats to the House. One would go to the heavily Democratic District, and the other would go to the state next in line to expand its delegation. Currently, that state is Utah, a Republican bastion.

The District has never had a full voting member in Congress.

·
Boosting DC's image
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But anyway, the push for greater DC budget and legislative autonomy, on many levels, is gaining momentum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts