Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
132,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Cheong Gye Cheon used to be a road that has been restored into a stream flowing in the heart of Seoul. While the walkways on both sides of the stream weren't open when I visited, I walked along the sides of the road which now borders the stream from Dongdaemun to almost the western end near Gyeongbokgung.

This is quite an impressive restoration project. There are a lot of interesting design features along the stream, including rapids and a lot of tall grasses on both sides of the water.

More information : http://cgcfestival.seoul.go.kr/intro.jsp

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The buildings are horrible. They truely need a redevelopment of the region. This is the upstream of the stream, right? You'll see more natural look toward downstream.

·
Registered
623 Posts
This area looks like frozen in time since 1980s.... Hopefully with new Chungyechun... they
will bring it up to 21 century standards...

No doubt, LMB is one big step closer to the throne.... !

·
Registered
760 Posts
kyenan said:
The buildings are horrible. They truely need a redevelopment of the region. This is the upstream of the stream, right? You'll see more natural look toward downstream.
Exactly my thoughts. The area looked so clean in other pictures.

Great pics Hk

·
Registered
637 Posts
This river runs through the heart of some of Seoul's oldest modern neighbourhoods, so it is quite natural to see "horrible" looking buildings. They'll be gone in a couple of years though, when the current urban redevelopment of the area is finished.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
my guess is that the prices of the land next to the stream will soar, and newer, more modern buildings will be built in no time :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
kyenan said:
that's right.. horrible, it reminds me of third world city

·
Banned
449 Posts
I love the stream. Its a great place to run. I did a nice one from City hall along the stream to the Han River and then along the river to Icheon Station and the Turtle Ship. One thing Seoul hs is a lot of great long running trails.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This project is possibly the most amazing thing any mayor can do for his/her city.

I can't wait to visit Seoul just to see this...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
ZZOOzzoo said:
This project is possibly the most amazing thing any mayor can do for his/her city.

I can't wait to visit Seoul just to see this...

This is only a small part of environmental restoration (or recovery or anything like that) happening in Seoul. After all, Seoul has 54 streams and 1 river (if I remember correctly), and Cheonggye Stream is only one of them. More than 15 streams were topped with car roads like what had happened to Cheonggye Stream, and all of them will be restored soon. And the environment, ecology, and water quality of other about 40 streams are getting much better than before. If you want to see an example, find some pix of Yangjae stream.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
chrishung said:

It feels kind of weird to see a "crack" running down the whole city. I guess I'm used to seeing a river instead of a stream
First of all, the stream does not run down the 'whole' city. It's in the CBD part of the city. Also, if you like a river, there's Han River which runs dividing the whole city into the north and the south.

·
Registered
2 Posts
LOL! The water for the stream is a combination of water pumped up from the Han River and pumped out of subway stations. Hardly a "restoration," more of an amusement.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts