Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a few photos inside the sadaemun (four gates) area. Some are taken in Jongno-gu, some in Jung-gu.

A park was made here in front of the city hall. Finally. This used to be impossible to cross on foot.

The "source" of the cheongye stream. On the left: jongno, and on the right jung.

The omnipresent McBowel's.

haha, this square is funny.

the Myeongdong entrance

Let's cross under the street. The underground shopping area was refurbished. Great!

NICE. Indeed :cool:

Hmm, I don't like this new gate. Looks dinky.

Classic myeongdong scenery.

The namsan mountain .. the stream .. the scrapers .. myeongdong... :cool:

·
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
myeongdong and sa-daemun time capsule!

(myeongdong late 1960s)

(myeongdong late 1960s)

(Jung in the late 1960s)

(Jongno in the late 1960s - gosh the mountains lacked trees back then)

(1981, downtown Seoul - not sure if it's myeongdong or some other area..)

(myeongdong in 1988)

(myeongdong in 1988)

(cityhall-jung-gu 1988)

·
Seoul-jah
460 Posts
Nice photos. The underground shopping area looks wicked!! Must have been refurbished very recently... I didn't see it when I visited Seoul last year in Nov.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the underground shopping area reminds me the one of my town (Sosnowiec - Poland)

and this how it looked in the 70

the picture is not the best to compare, maybe i will do a better one

do you have some more picture of the sequence with the river, looks quite nice. is the river covered mostly

·
Registered
922 Posts
are you sure those pics are from the 1960's and not 1970's? cuz i remember how in the 1960's, Seoul were full of really inconceivably poor, rundown shacks that were beyond repair and there werent that many vibrant shopping districts. Those pics look more like from the 70's.

·
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I am pretty sure the pictures labelled as late 60s are from the late 60s.

Until the 80s, seoul had only one vibrant district: myeongdong (the one I am showing). Now, it's not so special, since there's lots of other places to go shopping, but back then, myeongdong was the only place to go - so it became polished more quickly than the rest due to economic pressure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts