Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Itaewon is in yongsan-gu near the US army base. It seems the GIs like it - they come out often to shop or eat out in this area while they rarely venture to other parts of the city.

Itaewon is not as polished and attractive as the other popular neighbourhoods like hongdae-shinshon-daehangno-etc but it's alright.

Have a feeling once the US base moves out, Itaewon will get a major facelift really fast and become one of the top hangouts in seoul. Let's wait and see ;)

Love this pic :D

Typical made-in-itaewon backstreet view!

A view of the US base and the city faraway.

A shop owner taking it easy ;)

Le Saint-Ex. A reasonably good french resto owned by a french family. I heard they started some other restaurants elsewhere too!

Coming back down the hill

Behind the Burger King in the Hooker Hill area..

Where they work.. Can't wait for this part to be redevelopped.

Tailor shops - it's not expensive (300,000-600,000 wons per suit) but don't expect good quality for this price. The good tailors are in Myeongdong or the COEX: you'll pay 3-5 times more but the clothing will look proportionally better ;) I recommend Zenith at the COEX.

There's a couple of spots behind the shops which look this way. Looks rough Ugh.

Going down the hill.

Some typical streets of this area..

Inside the Noksapyeong subway. It was built 4-5 years ago. Cool station!

·
Registered
718 Posts
American ghetto! I wish Itaewon have some more greenery in their neighbourhood. It looks rather dense and stuffy with just concrete. Thanks for the pictures as always POS:cheers:

·
Just like Sister Ray said
1,367 Posts
American ghetto! I wish Itaewon have some more greenery in their neighbourhood. It looks rather dense and stuffy with just concrete.
I wouldn't call it an American ghetto these days, but it definitely is a foreigner ghetto. I find it to actually be refreshingly diverse after the homogeneous onslaught found in the rest of the city. Probably more Canadians (language teachers,) out on any given evening than GIs in my experience.

Still the great variety or ethnic restaurants makes Itaewon one of the more interesting regions of Seoul in this ex-expat's books. :)

·
urbanator
415 Posts
Some more pics of the Noksapyong Station Line 6 Seoul Metro

Found these while surfing a couple of days a go

From the outside

Definitely one of the nicer looking stations

p.s. - Enjoyed your tour of Itaewon prince :cheers:

·
Faith of the Heart
2,358 Posts
I believe the most apt descriptive word for Itaewon is "bizarre".

Definition of "bizarre" from the American Heritage Dictionary:

1. Deviating from the customary: cranky, curious, eccentric, erratic, freakish, idiosyncratic, odd, outlandish, peculiar, quaint, queer, quirky, singular, strange, unnatural, unusual, weird. Slang : kooky, screwball. British Slang : rum, rummy2. See USUAL. 2. Conceived or done with no reference to reality or common sense: antic, fantastic, fantastical, far-fetched, grotesque. See TRUE, USUAL.
Itaewon would be much more of an exotic place for Koreans because of all the foreingers, from Americans, Russians, Fillipinos to Nigerians. But there are also bizarre elements that are not necessarily foreign, like those transgender bars there. Argh.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was only in that area 1 time many years ago, but not much change. I was in the Army, and stationed in Korea 4 times. I love to see the progress that has been made. The hard work and suffering of the Grand Parents are benefiting the younger now.

On one of my assignments, I was at what is now called Uncheon City. It was a small country town back then, but I heard it is a modern city now. If anyone has any recent pictures of it, I would love to see them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts