SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
New Urbanist
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, SEQ will now have the largest Ikea! for those who like Ikea!
Anyone have any pics of this MONSTER site!!! :)

Ikea store assembly goes to plan

APRIL 28: The Ikea development at Slacks Creek is on target to open in October, says project manager Andreas Petersson.

``We are now less than six months away from seeing the first full-sized Ikea store in Queensland,'' Mr Petersson said. ``The new store in Logan will be the largest Ikea in Australia and is designed to cope with more than two million visitors in one year.''

Construction started last September on the 29,000sqm store, which will monopolise the corner of Paradise Rd and Pacific Hwy.

Ikea construction manager Richard Hynard said the structural frame was progressing well.

``The demolition and civil trade packages are now complete,'' he said. ``Erection of steel framing and steel wall cladding is expected to start in May.''

The $150million development, which will be four times the size of Ikea on Springwood Rd, will create more than 300 jobs.

Mr Petersson said the store would stock more products and feature a 300-seat restaurant with bistro and delicatessen.

A $150million giant homemaker centre is being built next to Ikea.

http://www.questnews.com.au/article/2006/04/28/8082_al_news.html

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
I've seen the site under construction - looks huge and its right beside the M1. There are lots of cranes too:D

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
theres talk of a 30,000 sq m ikea in perth too, they say it will be the biggest in the southern hemisphere, not sure if its going ahead though

·
New Urbanist
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ lol, Logan... its all part of SEQ, also how could they build such a big Ikea in Perth... I mean we will only have this one for the whole of South east QLD, that's 3 million... where as Perth has 1.4 mill or around there? how could they sustain it?

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
^
By that argument Logan should have a much smaller IKEA U/C at the moment since there are many other places in the world that have more people. There is also closer to 2.5 million SE-Qlders (and more than 1.4 million people in perth for that matter)

Perth's growing quite fast and I can't see why they couldn't have a larger one at all.

·
Premium Member
9,529 Posts
Not sure about why everyone seems so excited about a shop?

God, we aren't about to get competitive about each others Ikea size are we?

·
25,955 Posts
Perth is also the catchment for the entirety of WA, also, in QLD you have other department stores/furniture stores etc etc in other areas that can pick up trade for people that don't want to travel to the SE corner. You don't have this as much in WA, as most people live around mines with only essential facilities

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
believe me you don't want larger Ikeas, Rhodes is already beyond the absurd. In numerous ways the little Gordon, Moore Park and Blacktown shops were better...

Aussie Bhoy said:
I suppose it is something for SA and WA because previously they've only had mail order.

·
can the can
1,145 Posts
Aussie Bhoy said:

God, we aren't about to get competitive about each others Ikea size are we?
I agree. One thing we don't need is more IKEAs. I almost had a nervous breakdown last time I went to one with a hangover.

·
New Urbanist
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah Rhodes is MASSIVE! i love that area of sydney, just went to Rhodes a few weeks ago... nice development...

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
Just looking at the one at Springwood and that is huge on its own, I can't imagine one four times that one. But I saw that construction site a few days ago, and I thought is was a business centre.

·
Here
6,589 Posts
hornetfig said:
believe me you don't want larger Ikeas, Rhodes is already beyond the absurd. In numerous ways the little Gordon, Moore Park and Blacktown shops were better...

I suppose it is something for SA and WA because previously they've only had mail order.
Perth has had an Ikea since 1987, but it is a franchise owned by Cebas (who also operate the SA store) rather then owned by the Ikea group. Hence you don't see it mentioned in eastern state catalogs.

The new Perth store I read was going to be 26,000 sqm not 30,000.

Does it really matter though ?. All the shops stock the same crap anyway, just larger floor size means more variety in their displays.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Ipggi said:
Perth has had an Ikea since 1987, but it is a franchise owned by Cebas (who also operate the SA store) rather then owned by the Ikea group. Hence you don't see it mentioned in eastern state catalogs.

The new Perth store I read was going to be 26,000 sqm not 30,000.

Does it really matter though ?. All the shops stock the same crap anyway, just larger floor size means more variety in their displays.

I bought Ikea when I was in Perth.. and i vowed never make mistake again...!

Ikea quality is non existence...and i dont think fits Melbourne scene anyway... Plenty of other options available...

Cheap and nasty should be the company slogan...

·
New Urbanist
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ikea is not that bad! you can get some really good things there! also this ikea store will employ 300 people...that's good!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts