SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has the city council or mayor ever seriously questioned or objected to any DT project? I am not a fan of Mr. Dyer or Kuhn, so maybe that is my motivation. I really haven't paid so much attention after I left. The big deal was 55W and the one that is a midnight deal where they tore down an old building was it MCcrory's or something? I just wonder if their is any serious thought to oversight or planning from the city or do these developers have the free reign as it appears to an outsider.

It is quite the opposite as what is going on in Tampa. It's like we are battling the city council to approve anything.

·
Registered
10,088 Posts
Yes, they have denied certain projects. One that comes to mind is a highrise planned for the shores of lake Eola. And I'm sure there are several others.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
If developers had free reign, Orlando would have a taller skyline than Tampa right now, save for the FAA. Reduction in building heights have delayed many projects and killed some. And dealing with the FAA automatically delays projects at least 1 year, which in a time-sensitive industry could be fatal for a project.

THe McCrory's Jaymont Block deal was simply a bunch of Nimby's who wanted to preserve a very old bldg. that really had ro real historical significance; it wasn't classical architecture; it was a roach infested closed down 1-2 story block of blythe. Marchers began protesting and taking issue with the proposed development. THey had approval to demolish it already; it wasn't on the historic register but I think it was condemned.

Dyer is dead set to develop downtown. Kuhn is still developing projects downtown and has a big one in Jax right now. Love em or hate em, the Plaza project coupled with 55W has spring-boarded other projects like Paramount, Vue, Dynetech, Sanctuary, Star Tower, Tradition Towers, 801 N., and Ivanhoe Apts. And Dyer helped see the bid thru for FAMU law school during the selection process.

And giving incentives to kick start development shouldn't be frowned upon, when the City will ultimately benefit in the long term.

·
Banned
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jzquince69 said:
If developers had free reign, Orlando would have a taller skyline than Tampa right now, save for the FAA. Reduction in building heights have delayed many projects and killed some. And dealing with the FAA automatically delays projects at least 1 year, which in a time-sensitive industry could be fatal for a project.

The shoe still doesn't seem to fit. Maybe the Nimby's were concerned the mayor was handing the city over to developers? There is no way that Hood would have been preventing all this activity only to have it happen immediatly at her departure. Orlando sure is a strange place with weird dynamics to it, like an endless supply of capital from outside markets. That is for sure.

How is it possible for everyone to think everything is great in lock step with each other all the time? I have never met a person from Orlando to think critically out loud about anything to do with the area. Well at least not the people there now. Most of the locals still seem to have it in them.

·
Banned
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dale said:
Yes, they have denied certain projects. One that comes to mind is a highrise planned for the shores of lake Eola. And I'm sure there are several others.
Does lake eola have shores? :)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
zerobullchip said:
The shoe still doesn't seem to fit. Maybe the Nimby's were concerned the mayor was handing the city over to developers? There is no way that Hood would have been preventing all this activity only to have it happen immediatly at her departure. Orlando sure is a strange place with weird dynamics to it, like an endless supply of capital from outside markets. That is for sure.

How is it possible for everyone to think everything is great in lock step with each other all the time? I have never met a person from Orlando to think critically out loud about anything to do with the area. Well at least not the people there now. Most of the locals still seem to have it in them.
Nimbys concerned about downtown being handed over to developers when developers have been building up the sprawling suburbs with little to no opposition for years? Unlikely to say the least. I'm really not sure where you are coming from, other than a personal bias. Back it up a bit.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
zerobullchip said:

Hood didn't prevent any development. These projects were built downtown while she was Mayor from 1997-2003:
1. Orange Co. Cthse.
2. CNL Center
3. Lincoln Plaza
4. Westin Grande Bohemian
5. Embassy Suites
6. Waverly
7. Capital Plaza II
8. Uptown at Echelon
9. Cheney Place
10. Thornton Park Central
11. Post Parkside
12. Rosalind & South St. Apts (can't remember name)
13. MD Andersen Cancer Center at ORMC
14. Bumby/Robinson/Livingston development of homes on former park.
15. Baldwin Park (not downtown, but major deal)
16. O. Co. History Center/ old Cthse conversion
17. US Post Office renovation
18. Hughes Square (probably started under Hood and finished under Dyer)

Its not like Dyer invented the term "development." This development seen now would have continued from that first round if 9/11 hadn't occurred. And talk of developing the Jaymont Block began during Hood's reign.

Personally, I don't understand why it bugs you if you hear people from Orlando highlighting its good points. But you don't seem to be the only forumer who has expressed this type of discontent towards the positive viewpoints of Orlando forumers. Interesting that you have this point of view and that you live in Tampa now; its kind of consistent...

You want criticisms? How's this: homeless in downtown; I-4 not wide enough; bad rush hour; no mass transit; annoying height restriction downtown and elsewhere; not enough hotels across the street from OCCC; O-Rena needs changing; need new PAC.

Aside from that, what can I say? I'm satisfied with just about every other aspect of ORL except for the heat. And to boot, the city is greener than most and is full of lakes as well.

And since you brought up the point, let me just say that I'm not going to play apologist to anybody- just b/c you or anybody else gets annoyed b/c they seem to sense an undertone of pride or whatever every time an Orlando forumer posts something positive about this place. I've heard this criticism before from other forumers, in that they think that Orlandoans think that they live in like nirvana or something. You know, I never get that attitude from Miami forumers, and that's b/c Miami's the shiznit of the state/south/ probably the entire hemisphere. But... I mainly get that attitude from forumers who reside in the region where I-4 west terminates.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Good point, F-L-A.

and on another forum, there's more Orlando forumers posting than for any other region in this state.

peace... to each his own. everyone's entitled to an opinion and its their God-given right.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Since you mentioned, I don't post here much because of the city vs. city crap and quite honestly posts from too many kids who have been to Disney with their parents and feel qualified to comment on Orlando as a whole. I also feel there is an overall condescending tone from some of the larger presences here. Not really a big deal, because I have choices in my online community. Not every forum is right for everyone.

I enjoy posting construction updates on the SSC Construction Updates Forum because of the larger community there and seemingly more open minds when it comes to Orlando. I am amazed at the International responses I get here at SSC on those posts. What a great place!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
jzquince69 said:
Good point, F-L-A.

and on another forum, there's more Orlando forumers posting than for any other region in this state.

peace... to each his own. everyone's entitled to an opinion and its their God-given right.
That's because someone there ran off all the Miami, Jax and Tampa forumers. Personally, I have nothing against Orlando, in fact I was down taking pics and walking around downtown this weekend.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Lakelander said:
That's because someone there ran off all the Miami, Jax and Tampa forumers. Personally, I have nothing against Orlando, in fact I was down taking pics and walking around downtown this weekend.

Its probably the flip side of the coin to what has happened here.

Look, if I had to venture a guess, it would be b/c here, there is no moderator from Orlando. Instead, the moderator hails from the region that has yielded the most anti-Orlando sentiment. It's kind of like playing college football in an away stadium and getting hometown referreed. It is what it is.

It doesn't bother me any, b/c my only interest is to learn about new projects in my region- and in others; its a good news source.

This particular thread shouldn't have ever been allowed to exist in the first place, based on the direction it was going in towards the beginning from the forumer who originally created it.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Reviewing it - the original question is pretty straight forward and values neither city over the other one. There is one comment that is potentially questionable, depending on how you read it - and otherwise there is a potential discussion of the city government - which is common on Tampa threads.

I understand the one paragraph offended some people and I don't really agree with it (or know enough people who live in Orlando to have an opinion on it) - but why should that cause the thread to be closed or the first question to not be discussed? Thsi is an honest question - what is wrong with discussing whether the city government is behaving properly or whether some of the projects aren't that good for the city?

As for me, I rag on everyone (see the recent Jax development thread and all teh Tampa/St PEte/Sarasota/Ft.Nyers threads).

·
Banned
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have nothing against the city of orlando. It's just a place I lived, no different than Tampa, Miami, Palm Beach, and a few other places . Some nice memories there.

Truth be told I do not think that it stacks up well culturally to other more established places in the state by a long shot. I find the people that live there to be mostly full of themselves for no apparant reason. It's funny how that attitude comes across on public message forums like this. That being said, I was asking a serious question as to how the process is working there as all I see here in Tampa is roadblocks.

Knowing first hand the "fluff factor" associated with all things Orlando, I figured there has to be someone involved in these boards that has the dirt on Buddy and others involved. Guess I was wrong. Everything is A-OKAY!

·
Registered
164 Posts
zerobullchip said:
I find the people that live there to be mostly full of themselves for no apparant reason. It's funny how that attitude comes across on public message forums like this. That being said, I was asking a serious question as to how the process is working there as all I see here in Tampa is roadblocks.

Knowing first hand the "fluff factor" associated with all things Orlando, I figured there has to be someone involved in these boards that has the dirt on Buddy and others involved. Guess I was wrong. Everything is A-OKAY!
What a load of crap! To paraphrase a favorite movie of mine, I now feel a bit dumber just from reading your post. People in Orlando full of themselves???? What kind of inflammatory generalization is that!?

I think you just proved a point of mine from an earlier post.

·
SoHo
1,039 Posts
Each city is different; thank God! Each has its own personality, its own vibrance, its own appeal. And it's a good thing to take pride in where you live - that makes for a healthy attitude and without question, a better comm"unity."

I've no doubt that if, God forbid, something diasasterous happened to any of our sister cities, from Miami up the state to Tallahassee, we would ALL commit to ensure her safe return.

It's good to have healthy competition and to question; and there's nothing wrong with pointing out what one may view as faults. It's not all cake... all the time. In a forum as popular as this, we should keep it real and keep it honest. However, civil discourse should be no less a goal. :2cents:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.