SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dubai is constructing at a tremendous pace. Building the world's highest tower, world's most expensive airport and other exciting development

Shanghai used to be the construction boomtown of the world with so many cranes during its peak at 2002-2004 with property prices rising like crazy, has it been finally toppled?

I really wish the Chinese government start building mega projects in Shanghai again. Come on! We cannot lose the title of the most "Crane Capital" of the world. I have great hope in Shanghai, but really are we going to be toppled by Dubai in construction racing? Come on it is not like we don't have the capital to build stuffs like Burj Dubai!

Btw let me introduce myself, I am a young overseas Chinese whose family has invested in Shanghai's property. I wish one day I can be a Shanghainese too. Nice city life and booming Chinese business. I really wish for her prosperity!

Do you agree with me that the government should intensify efforts to "buck up" in the construction race ? Btw, i might not be informed about the development in Shanghai as some of you. How does Shanghai's effort at construction compares with Dubai? Does Shanghai's government is as focused as Dubai in creating exciting wonders like Palm Island,Burj Dubai and the world's most expensive airport?

Please don't be misunderstood that I am trying to make a "mine is bigger than yours" thread.. I just want to see how does Shanghai's development compare with that of Dubai.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is impolite to make such a sweeping one liner comment. I want to start a healthy discussion about the development of two cities because they happen to be in the same lane of construction booming. During the year 2002-2004, there are many articles in Time,Newsweek and Economist that compares development between India and China. Are these articles troll too? If you think so, that is too narrow minded

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think it's apples and oranges. China is tremendously huge in many aspects compared to the UAE. Shanghai construction is still going but probably has simmered down some simply because China's plans are to develop beyond the east coast and not concentrate wealth and resources in already vibrant regions. If China wanted to no one can really argue it couldn't do the "world's biggest" everything but I'm sure many people in the government know that's not wise.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Fayadi said:
It is impolite to make such a sweeping one liner comment. I want to start a healthy discussion about the development of two cities because they happen to be in the same lane of construction booming. During the year 2002-2004, there are many articles in Time,Newsweek and Economist that compares development between India and China. Are these articles troll too? If you think so, that is too narrow minded
I'm sorry if you are not. You are like a troll because you opened a long-time-forbidden city vs city topic as a first-timer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a hint, I am a college student. Btw comparing developments IMHO doesn't sound childish, I guess we need more open minded people to take these kind of discussion with open arm. This might be a comparison, but because the two cities are in the same situation(construction boom) that's why I think it is worth the discussion. From the first time I posted, I have mentioned clearly it isn't my intention to discuss a "mine is bigger than yours" thread, but to understand the government efforts towards construction development

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Minotaur said:
I think it's apples and oranges. China is tremendously huge in many aspects compared to the UAE. Shanghai construction is still going but probably has simmered down some simply because China's plans are to develop beyond the east coast and not concentrate wealth and resources in already vibrant regions. If China wanted to no one can really argue it couldn't do the "world's biggest" everything but I'm sure many people in the government know that's not wise.
Shanghai can use its own tax revenues to build more "beautiful" projects. Anyway, from a Chinese government website, I saw that the tax from 2004- 2005 the tax revenue of Chinese government has jumped like 50%. I think Shanghai or any other Chinese cities should seize the opportunities when it is developing to build gigantic projects because if a city has already developed like New York, there won't be much market for exciting buildings anymore and by then cost of labor has increased. These are the few years that Shanghai is still developing and has plenty of market. Besides Chinese government has the largest foreign reserve in the world at USD 850 billion. Building a building like Burj Dubai only will take a couple of billion dollars. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fayadi said:
Shanghai can use its own tax revenues to build more "beautiful" projects. Anyway, from a Chinese government website, I saw that the tax from 2004- 2005 the tax revenue of Chinese government has jumped like 50%. I think Shanghai or any other Chinese cities should seize the opportunities when it is developing to build gigantic projects because if a city has already developed like New York, there won't be much market for exciting buildings anymore and by then cost of labor has increased. These are the few years that Shanghai is still developing and has plenty of market. Besides Chinese government has the largest foreign reserve in the world at USD 850 billion. Building a building like Burj Dubai only will take a couple of billion dollars. Any thoughts?
that money should be used wisely rather than build superficial buildings.

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
Fayadi said:
Just a hint, I am a college student. Btw comparing developments IMHO doesn't sound childish, I guess we need more open minded people to take these kind of discussion with open arm. This might be a comparison, but because the two cities are in the same situation(construction boom) that's why I think it is worth the discussion. From the first time I posted, I have mentioned clearly it isn't my intention to discuss a "mine is bigger than yours" thread, but to understand the government efforts towards construction development
If you had been at Skyscraper City earlier you would understand. There used to be a whole section dedicated to "City vs. City" threads. Most, if not all threads would devolve into immature flame wars after just a few threads. This is why that section was closed and eventually all city vs. city threads are just sort of frowned upon to keep people from bickering.

You might be able to compare city developments rationally and calmy, but most people have proven that they can't.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I cannot imagine Dubai, such a tiny country, is able to build all those world ranking buildings. But, personally, i dont think Dubai is a good place to live in. First, it is too hot in summer (over 50 DC sometimes). Secondly, the place looks so plain, i mean desert. Even if the tallest building, biggest facilities are built there, they dont seem interesting to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dubai has a population of 1 million people but it is building skyscrapers. Do you think the population has market for all that? With that I think their strategy is this, you build a nice city first and then people will come. Those skycrapers are to invite people from overseas to come. Shanghai might use this strategy to lure people from abroad to come and live in the city. It will quicken their goal to become an international city.
It will be a source of pride to the people of the city if such a mega project like Burj Dubai is erected. Many rich foreigners and overseas chinese are eager to invest in Shanghai.
You know Lee Kuan Yew wrote in his book how he tried to attract foreign investors to Singapore. He would beautify all the area from the airport to the downtown. Building a beautiful city will give a good feeling to investors. Don't you think so?
Do we all agree Shanghai should build something like Burj Dubai?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Fayadi said:
Dubai has a population of 1 million people but it is building skyscrapers. Do you think the population has market for all that? With that I think their strategy is this, you build a nice city first and then people will come. Those skycrapers are to invite people from overseas to come. Shanghai might use this strategy to lure people from abroad to come and live in the city. It will quicken their goal to become an international city.
It will be a source of pride to the people of the city if such a mega project like Burj Dubai is erected. Many rich foreigners and overseas chinese are eager to invest in Shanghai.
You know Lee Kuan Yew wrote in his book how he tried to attract foreign investors to Singapore. He would beautify all the area from the airport to the downtown. Building a beautiful city will give a good feeling to investors. Don't you think so?
Do we all agree Shanghai should build something like Burj Dubai?
Okay... firstly, Shanghai doesn't need to build a "Burj Dubai" for people to want to go there. China is becoming such an important place in the world that people will go to Shanghai regardless. Shanghai is the premier financial city of China and is already rivalling Hong Kong and Tokyo as the Asian financial centre. A source of national pride? Come on! A country that has a history of 5000+ years doesn't need to build some tall building in order to have pride. Lastly, you don't need a lot of foreigners to live in your city in order to make it an international city... I mean look at Tokyo!

Now, for my opinion on Dubai. I admire what they're "trying" to do by building mega projects and making it a luxurious place but in the end, I don't think it will work. There is no resource base besides oil. If they want to become a financial centre, they're going to need more people, investments, etc. Its location is pretty bad too... the Middle East? People only deal with that area just because the rest of the world relies on oil so heavily... if we didn't, I don't think we'd give a sh*t. I don't mean to sound offensive but with this whole "terrorist threat", people are going to try to avoid the Middle East. Dubai is just pretty much an oasis in the middle of the desert. Yes, I know its on the coast, but I don't care. There is hardly a demand to build so many mega projects and the only reason they still continue building is because of the money they've made off oil. I hate how so many forumers here- especially from Dubai think its the greatest city and so on... Its not! They don't even have 1/10 of what it takes to be a great city and they're already going on about how it'll beat Hong Kong or New York and now Shanghai! I'd like to point out that although I'm skeptic of Dubai's future, I'm not saying its a bad city.. I'm just saying its a city in the making. Maybe in the future it can be compared to the major cities around the world, but for now, its not and is far from it.

·
26,544 Posts
The matter of fact is that Shanghai over the next 15 years will have a immensively better skyline that Dubai and easily one of the best in the world. I have seen many "Future Dubai Skyline" pics and the skyline is not that beautiful at all. Sure it will be the largest building in the world but it will be a lone tower just standing out. And Dubai's size cannot afford to have hudreds of other huge skyscrapers built around it to improve the skyline. The Dubai skyline if I dare to say will be....ungly?

Anyhow Shanghai has the potential of turning into the Asian NY in all aspects. And most importantly like it has been well said previously in this thread Shanghai does not need the greatest of towers to attract foreigners and become an international city.

The Dubai government is building all this huge projects in order to replace the soon-to-die petroleum industry with tourism. Well good luck with that. Shanghai will go for the sophisticated international financial metropolis not the tourist city.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just for everybodies information..Dubai is NOT a country, its a city in the UAE.. soo by that i can tell you that people who make comments like that are ignorant and do not know much about Dubai therefore make unreliable comments..Dubai has the least oil in all of the emirates, but still they are building like crazzy because of FDI, Dubai is filled with expatriates, so the threat of "terrorist" is just media frenzy..Its not like iam supporting dubai or anything.. but just trying to clarify some things. And i have to say that i personally think the Middle East is a superb location..Your between Asia and Europe..

·
26,544 Posts
I know that Dubai is not a country but it is a federal state in the UAE therefore it has its own local government. I'm from Cyprus. At the European to MiddleEast/Asia border.

So sorry for the use of Dubai in my last sentence.

The *UAE* government is building all these huge projects in order to replace the soon-to-die petroleum industry with tourism. Are we ok now? I am sure its correct now.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have been to Dubai a couple of times, especially for business visits. Dubai is just a desert, not to say about the whole country UAE, it is hardly you can find any green scenery. Even if the tallest building is built there, it looks so plain and boring. You can imagine a buiding that stand in a desert storm, is this sound interesting to you.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hmm i have to disagree with you with the greenery scene..Shaikh Zayed Road etc is all greeen..yes ofcourse there is sand..but its the desert..but ye ofcourse i admit..dubai neeeds ALOT ALOT more work :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts