SkyscraperCity Forum banner

SHANGHAI | Public Transport

1M views 4K replies 490 participants last post by  Lion007 
#1 ·
Shanghai Tube/Subway Network

Shanghai Subway Network system by 2020
By 2010, shanghai would have more than 400 km subway network. Currently, only 100+ km.
By 2020, at least 800+ km.

This map is a little bit old, there're some minor changes since then.

1.M4: scheduled to open by the end of this year(2005).
2.R2 west extension: scheduled to open by mid of 2006.
3.M3 north extension: scheduled to open by mid of 2006.
4.L4: completed by the end of 2006.
5.M8: completed by mid of 2006.
6.R4: west part of it would be completed before 2006.
7.M7: still in construction, don't know the time to be completed.
8.M1,R3 will be started soon

See less See more
#8 ·
teddybear said:
How could they built the network so fast? When did they start?
And is that the river that divides Pudong and Puxi?
Right, the river is called Huang Pu river. 'West' in chinese is 'Xi', while 'east' in chinese is 'Dong'. Therefore, west side of Huang Pu river is called Puxi, and east side of Huang Pu river is called Pudong.

R1 is the first metro line built in shanghai. Opened in 1996, started construction in the late 80s.

#16 ·
Yappofloyd said:
gakei, thanks as the pictures are great. given the rapid expansion of the Shanghai metro I look forward to seeing many more great pics.

Has construction started yet on the Maglev ext that is planned. Any pics?
Thanks! I heard that the decision of whether to build the Maglev extension (to Hangzhou) or not will be announced later this year.

#22 ·
Yappofloyd said:
Sorry some confusion here as I wasn't specific. I wasn't talking about the Hangzhou ext.

I thought that there was a decision last year to extend the line a bit closer to downtown from the current terminus in the financial district. Or did I misunderstand something???
I have no info about whether they will build an extension to the downtown of Shanghai, but I personally wonder if it is cost-effective to build such a short extension without considering to extend it to Hangzhou. The Maglev may run very slowly from the current Longyang Rd. Stn. to the downtown given the short distance.