SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a documentary on the Sundance Channel in the US called Cities on Speed. This episode focused on Shanghai. Not sure if this was serious or if there's official backing to this but there's some plan in order to save the environment to build and utilize space underground. Anyone hear of this? Took some capture pics of artist renders.

·
Neon overdose
3,993 Posts
I heard that the terrain in Shanghai is not so compact to mess so much with it. For example, Pudong is starting to sink a little bit because of the wheight of all that's been built on it. Giant caves for underground construction would make it unstable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I heard that the terrain in Shanghai is not so compact to mess so much with it. For example, Pudong is starting to sink a little bit because of the wheight of all that's been built on it. Giant caves for underground construction would make it unstable.
I'm sure engineers can make it happen :)

But even if it doesn't happen in Shanghai I hope it does happen somewhere else. I like the concept of utilizing space underground rather than just building tall buildings everywhere and destroying the feel of cities.

·
Not Cwite There
9,171 Posts
I'm sure engineers can make it happen :)

But even if it doesn't happen in Shanghai I hope it does happen somewhere else. I like the concept of utilizing space underground rather than just building tall buildings everywhere and destroying the feel of cities.
I think people would prefer natural light as much as possible.

·
Mosher "K"
1,310 Posts
maybe u didnt know where to eat,well since im not a shanghaiers I dont know either,over here in Beijing,guijie is open 24 hours,any major cities in China has something like that,I doubt shanghai doesnt.

·
Mosher "K"
1,310 Posts
Actually the sinking of Pudong has more to do with usage of underground water,things will get better if government start to concern about this problem.

·
Banned
195 Posts
Nice, most of the pics look like a bunch of connecting basements. I would like to see more of one main building and then a massive underground complex, say about a few hundred floors underground, with malls, restaurants, sports things, residential. This would ofcourse be in the future, but Its what I want to see.

·
Not Cwite There
9,171 Posts
Nice, most of the pics look like a bunch of connecting basements. I would like to see more of one main building and then a massive underground complex, say about a few hundred floors underground, with malls, restaurants, sports things, residential. This would ofcourse be in the future, but Its what I want to see.
I doubt there's anything that can replace the good old sunshine and blue skies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts