SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Proud warmonger
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello lads

I have decided to open this thread to hear what sort of experience you have had with Air Canada over the years and perhaps to share some horror stories with us

This airline really makes my bloody boil and I think it's outrageous that the government doesn't do anything about it. They should be banned from every canadian airports for all the nasty things they do!

:bash::bash:

·
Proud warmonger
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The NDP's bill would create friendlier skies
Jim Maloway, National Post
Published: Friday, May 29, 2009

If you ask a random group of 100 recent airline passengers, I am sure the majority of them can share one horrific story or other. Cancelled flights. Lost luggage. Sitting on the tarmac for hours. We've all heard them.

Bill C-310-- which was the subject of criticism in the Post's recent Flight Rights series -- was introduced to Parliament in February, passed its first vote by 139 to 131 and earlier this month was accepted for further study by the transportation committee. It includes clear measures on compensation for overbooked flights and cancellations. It is only fair that the airlines either stop overbooking or start compensating people when they could miss a cruise ship connection, wedding or funeral because the airline tells them, at the last minute, that they cannot have a seat that they already paid for.

Bill C-310 is fair for airlines and passengers. Recently, airlines cancelled flights to Mexico and refused to refund tickets. Under Bill C-310, airlines would have to refund the money but would not have to pay extra compensation because the cause of the cancelation, H1N1 ("swine flu"), is considered an extraordinary circumstance beyond the airlines' control.

No compensation is payable for flight delays beyond meal vouchers after two hours and hotels for overnight stays. However, the bill enables passengers to get a full refund if the delay exceeds five hours. This is a significant improvement.

Since 2005, all Air Canada passengers traveling in Europe have been eligible for $500, $800 or $1,200 compensation (depending on the length of the flight) for overbooked or cancelled flights. Why does Air Canada refuse to give the same passenger coverage in Canada?

Bill C-310 provides compensation for tarmac delays over one hour. Even the Canadian Airline Council agrees that passengers should not be held prisoner on planes or warehoused on tarmacs beyond 90 minutes. But they don't want to pay any compensation.

Bill C-310 allows passengers to disembark after one hour, only if it is safe to do so. The bill also highlights concerns over late and misplaced luggage, and all-inclusive pricing by airline companies in their advertising. It is important for customers to see the airlines' full cost for a ticket, clearly including taxes and all other surcharges.

The bill of rights will ensure that passengers are kept informed of flight changes, whether they are delays or cancellations. The new rules will be posted in the airport and airlines will be required to inform passengers of their rights and the process for filing for compensation.

These changes are not meant to punish the airlines. If they follow the rules, they will not have to pay one dime to travellers.

Canada already has some customer service regulations, but they are hidden in legal jargon that is nearly impossible to understand. Bill C-310 will make it clear to average people how to get any compensation they deserve.

Customers must be treated better than cargo. This bill will ensure that they are. - Jim Maloway is the New Democratic Party of Canada's Member of Parliament for Elmwood-Transcona, Manitoba.

·
Proud warmonger
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ I hope this bill passes, so that vile companies like Air Canada cannot get away with their criminal behaviour anymore

·
Registered Abuser
532 Posts
Quite the contrary for me, I booked a flight for my wife back in October and when using a Mexican credit card, the website didn't take it, I called Air Canada customer service to check what had happened; the guy who answered the phone said that I had to speak to the agents located in Mexico, so I did and the Mexican guy just told me to call my bank and hung up on me, but this is Mexico so I was expecting that, so it turns out that I had to call my bank and I HAD TWO DAMN CHARGES FOR $560.00!! So after disputing that for nearly an hour, they put it back in the account, later on that day I used my uncles American Express card and that worked.

Well turns out that my wife had an inconvenience and she couldn't come in October, so I called customer service to put the ticket on hold, this time they were very nice and they just said that a $100.00 penalty fee would have to be paid and the difference as well, if any.
So my wife came in May, she went to an Air Canada office to pay the fee and they were EXTREMELY NICE with her, the Air Canada agent not only voided the penalty fee, but he also gave her like a $30 discount. Approximately 4 days after she got here they called her parents house back in Canada to let her know that her connection in Denver had been changed from 2:00pm to 1:00pm (which was fine since she was going to arrive in Denver like at 11:30am). So the day that she had to leave, My uncle drove her to the airport like almost 3 hours ahead of time because it was the only time he was able to do so, and when she got to the airport, they asked her if she wanted to board a plane that was about to leave instead of having to wait 3 hours and she agreed, well the same thing happened in Denver and she was in Toronto at like 8:00pm instead of the scheduled midnight :)

So good feedback in my case although I had a bit of a problem at first, they made up for it!

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
ah air Canada!!!!!

They made me wait 8 hours more for my flight!!! The flight that should of left at 3 in the morning, actually left at 11!

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts
If I am flying within Canada, I normally will choose AC over West Jet because often you will discover that your West Jet flight is a milk run. A Toronto - Winnipeg flight might involve a stop over in Thunder Bay. A Toronto- Vancouver flight might stop at least once, too.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
In Thunder Bay, "Air Canada" is a curseword. I don't know a single person who has flown who doesn't have some sort of Air Canada/Jazz horror story. Either way, people here have to go to Toronto to get to Vancouver.

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
One of the old hag flight attendants was spilling juice on passengers sitting next to the aisle. She wasn't willing to tell passengers her name either, so they weren't able to report her.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
I guess I really haven't had awful experiences with them... Back in the mid 90s we flew Air Canada quite regularly from Toronto to Zurich on a codeshare basis with Swissair, and believe me it was really good. When I flew alone back in 1997, I did the typical tour of the cockpit and as we were passing through first class, they let me sit there for the rest of the flight!

Anyway, recently I flew Air Canada from Toronto to Ottawa and it was a good flight. I'm going to be flying them in September Toronto-Madrid so I'll be able to say how decent the intercontinental service was. My friend just flew them Toronto-Geneva and LOVED it.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I've never had any bad experiences with Air Canada, either. In fact, most of my flights with them have been quite enjoyable. This may be strange and I am probably in the minority, but while flying with them internationally I find their food to be quite delicious! They could get some nicer uniforms, though ...

·
Registered
910 Posts
Have any of you seen the South Park episode when Mr.Garrison makes the "IT" mobile to get people to avoid using airplanes? If you have seen it, you will know it needs no explanation:D

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
Air Canada is disgustingly terrible, and I will continue to avoid them like the plauge.
I've had far too many rough times with them.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If I am flying within Canada, I normally will choose AC over West Jet because often you will discover that your West Jet flight is a milk run. A Toronto - Winnipeg flight might involve a stop over in Thunder Bay. A Toronto- Vancouver flight might stop at least once, too.
You call it that too?

I did a milk run once with AC...wow.

Sault Ste. Marie - Toronto - Vancouver - Honolulu - Sydney - Melbourne

I believe they've since eliminated the Honolulu stop with a new plane that goes from Vancouver to Sydney nonstop, a 777.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I have nothing but positive things to say about Air Canada and the countless flights I've taken with them.

Domestic flight prices are often comparable with WestJet, if not cheaper. The planes are of newer stock (in comparison to all NA carriers). In-flight entertainment beats the pants off of WestJet, with free movies and TV, with touch-screen widescreen monitors in every seat. Plus Air Canada has an excellent rewards program (Aeroplan) that has been accepted by other unrelated retail concerns, while WestJet still lacks any loyalty program.

Historically, Air Canada has been an innovation leader.

- first airline in the world to use a computer reservation system (1953!!)
- first major air carrier to have adopted turbine technology on its entire fleet (1963)
- one of the first airlines to have its entire fleet of unpressurised aircraft equipped with fixed oxygen systems
- founding member of Star Alliance
- established Aeroplan in 1984

Fly with a few other carriers across the globe, and trust me, Air Canada won't seem so bad. Want a classic shitty airline? Try US Airways. No Air Canada stewardess ever told me that coffee couldn't be served because THE PIPES WERE FROZEN.... (true story).

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I guess I really haven't had awful experiences with them... Back in the mid 90s we flew Air Canada quite regularly from Toronto to Zurich on a codeshare basis with Swissair, and believe me it was really good. When I flew alone back in 1997, I did the typical tour of the cockpit and as we were passing through first class, they let me sit there for the rest of the flight!

Anyway, recently I flew Air Canada from Toronto to Ottawa and it was a good flight. I'm going to be flying them in September Toronto-Madrid so I'll be able to say how decent the intercontinental service was. My friend just flew them Toronto-Geneva and LOVED it.
Spanair was offering $500.00 RETURN flights from Toronto to Madrid for September. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on it...

www.travelzoo.com

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
No horror stories from me, but I've heard it from just about everyone I've ever met, lol.

I always fly air canada for domestic, since it's almost as cheap as westjet and the planes are nice inside. But for international flights, I go with just about any other airline but AC, for cheaper fares. I fly to Paris all the time to visit family (surprise?) but it seems like there's no way of avoiding a stop in Toronto. Anyone notice that about european flights?

And aeroplan is retarded. I have over 11,000 miles from about 25+ vancouver-toronto flights in the last 3 years, but apparently when they say "miles" they meant "metres", as I still don't have enough of it for even a one-way to calgary. I've since given up on saving enough points for anything and check the "opt out" button when booking anything.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts