SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
18,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our city has some very good examples of brutalism.
buildings such as the park hill flats, the federal law courts, the kelvin/hyde park flats post rennovation/demolition, the power sub station, and many other buildings some of which have unfortunatley been demolished.

this style is widely disliked, i personally love it.

and if you do or dont like it this is where you should state it..lol so, lets talk brutalism.....

·
Music is my lover.
432 Posts
Yeah...i kinda wish that the Hulme Crescents here in Manc weren't demolished just so that i could walk around the area and just take it all in!

These look very brutal also...have they demolished the tower bit now?

·
Banned
2,602 Posts
I am a fan of brutalism to an extent. I find it fascinating and scary. I like its ability to attract my attention and lead me to utter "what the **** were they thinking!?"

You should really post more pics to make this thread work. Do you have any more depicting Sheffield's brutalism?

I have the impression that Sheffield was 'Brutalised" more than any other city. There are still numerous examples of those strange, and terrifying subways that meet at a central courtyard under the city's urban motorway. The kind of places you're likely to run into a stabbing hobo.

I went to Park Hell a few months back. It is at once terrifying, bizarre, vile and fascinating.:cheers: The Smithsons were fucking nut cases.

·
Banned
8,209 Posts
Bim said:
...have they demolished the tower bit now?
Fortunately yes. Boy, I once saw a photo of it from 1982 and it made the Walled City look like Paradise.

I was walking near that side of town today, and there they were yet again. They looked uglier than ever, probably due to the sunny weather making them stick out more. The sooner this renovation gets done, the better. Even if only for aesthetic merit.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Got to agree with you, I have grown to love brutalism and personally find it quite suited to sheffield. I love the wya it juxstaposes with the Sheffield landscape and everything else around it. Mind you a city full of it would be mighty depressing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's all context, isn't it? I did my stint as someone contemptuous of brutalism, but now I love its confidence, presumptuousness, and, as it turns out, false notion of a utopia. It's enough to make me join the society for the preservation of 20th C. architecture.

·
18,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i agree that sheffield feels like it has more brutalism than other places, it was a very brave expression in architecture. i used to dislike it but now i love it. i am going to go into the city this week sometime and photograph the key brutalist buildings of sheffield.

·
E = MC²
5,539 Posts
I used to love the subways beneath the hole in the road, what a superb concept that was, still talked about with affection ten years after its loss.
Although it did smell very pissy in the morning..

I also love it when they blow up tower blocks. Although I have never lived in one I have friends who do and others that still do. And they are liked for many reasons, especially if they are well managed.

This is basically one of a set I took of a block which was being prepared for toppling, I used it for a joke website which is why it has pretend graffitti..

The story at the time was they were beyond their useful life, it would be interesting to know how accurate that was and if it was really true that nobody wanted to live in them.

·
18,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i really wish they hadnt destroyed the kelvin flats and block b of hyde park because they were classic examples of brutalism and they also added a lot of density to the city skyline...

·
E = MC²
5,539 Posts
Truefitt said:
What were they thinking when they build the egg boxes? It looks so much nicer now
Actually the Architect behind the eggboxes, was know to one of my best mates, and he was very angry at how the council had ruined his building when they built it, by skimping on the quality of the facing materials.
I can't remember the exact details but the reason for the shapes around the windows was gone without the proper materials, they use cheap concrete castings instead and they looked filthy and cheap very quickly.

I think it originally had granite or steel cladding, but I'm not sure.

·
18,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it is a real shame. but it had to be demolished so the trams could be put in. if it wasnt for that it would probably have a glass dome over it by now... with some great shops in it...wishful thinking i guess

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I think its nice how they used the rubble from Hyde Park flats to fill in the Hole in the Road,Its like two buriels for the price of one!

1 - 20 of 112 Posts