Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first Hollywood style walk of fame star was unveiled today outside the Town Hall, inducting the World Cup-winning England goalkeeper Gordon Banks into the cities Hall of Fame:

The next 8 Sheffield Legends announced are (in alphabetical order):

· Sean Bean - internationally-renown actor.

· Jarvis Cocker - iconic lead singer with Pulp.

· Joe Cocker - internationally-famous musician.

· Lord (Sebastian) Coe - Olympic athlete and Chair of the British bid for the 2012 Olympics in London.

· Def Leppard - top-selling rock band.

· Michael Palin - famous film and television personality.

· Helen Sharman - first British astronaut.

· Joe Simpson - one of the world’s premier rock climbers.

Bronze plaques for each of the legends will be set in the paving stones in front of the Town Hall - one of the most prominent locations in the city - to form a ’hall of fame’ that will be accessible for everyone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/south_yorkshire/4752245.stm

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cool, i ll be in town on Thursday havin a few pints at the spoons near the town hall. Will have to have a look. Hope Jarvis Cocker comes to do his plaque, what an absolute legend!

·
Registered
739 Posts
snife2005 said:
Cool, i ll be in town on Thursday havin a few pints at the spoons near the town hall. Will have to have a look. Hope Jarvis Cocker comes to do his plaque, what an absolute legend!

I do hope Jarvis comes to do his, but surely the blue plaque he suggested in 'I spy' would be more apporpaite for him.

·
E = MC²
5,551 Posts
Well Biff Byford, is the best known saxon singer and russ abbot lookalike.!

I understand that all the people who have been in saxon have all fallen out and there are now three different versions of saxon in existance with different lineups.
One is called Gypsy's Kiss their original name and the other two are called saxon but are known with prefixes of famous members names.

What a kerfuffle!

Other saxon trivia, I recall that they are named after a pub called the Saxon's Arms possibly at thurcroft?

·
Banned
8,209 Posts
muddycoffee said:
You're thinking of Saxon.
Nope, Saxon were originally from Barnsley.

I don't know who the hell you're thinking of. :tongue2:

I know he doesn't really count, but I have to mention John Shuttleworth. :master:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Bladerunner said:
And Neil Warnock must also be a contender, surely...
NO. So far he's only managed to get a Sheffield club into the top flight. God knows how many managers managed that one (a few even managed to win it). Derek Dooley might be in with a shout.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I think they're tacky and 'small town'. Lots more famous people come from Manchester, Birmingham, and Liverpool, but these cities don't see the need to mark the fact in such a 'hall of fame'. And it seems only people who have become famous in the past 30 years are considered.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Bladerunner said:
I think they're tacky and 'small town'. Lots more famous people come from Manchester, Birmingham, and Liverpool, but these cities don't see the need to mark the fact in such a 'hall of fame'. And it seems only people who have become famous in the past 30 years are considered.
Funny you should mention that, because I've just been participating in a thread in the Liverpool forum - this morning in fact - that has raised this very idea. It doesn't seem to be well liked.

There was a Liverpool version laid as part of the Garden Festival in 1984, and it's now in pretty bad repair. The council have had the idea of resurrecting it as part of the current Kings Dock Arena development.

·
E = MC²
5,551 Posts
Bladerunner said:
Actually there are many hundreds of people from sheffield who could have plaques but these ones are generally well deserving and admired world famous people, and not just celebs.
In music alone, sheffield has had hundreds of successful musicians since the start of the music charts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts