SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 1807 Posts

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start a new thread for the new markets as it seems it's actually under construction now and it's quite a big project. The the plans for this have also been lost amongst a sea of other stuff.

Here is a summary of the project-

http://moorsheffield.com/block6.htm

From Eyre st

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Yeah, I've stated my view on this elevation before. Have to say, surely it can't look as bad as that in real life. Surely, maybe..................

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
It really does look bad doesn't it! Hopefully, but unlikely, it will look better in reality. What have they used for these visuals- google sketch up and a 12 year old?

·
Registered
238 Posts
This is indeed pants and the latest proposals have turned it into an even more uninspiring building. It seems the 'modestly' interesting building on the corner with Cumberland St (called 'north elevation' in previous post) is being replaced by 2 more units of the same glass frontage that will front the moor until it reaches the corner with Cumberland St. http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/files/B7F74E59AE45AA07CCA3085EF6E6E432/pdf/12_00527_COND-PLANS___ELEVATIONS_16.02.2012-579111.pdf

·
Registered
59 Posts
Utterly banal. Makes no use of the streetscape on Eyre Street whatsoever, and thus does nothing to widen the core of the city centre. The Moor will, at least for the forseeable future, remain stuck out on a limb, with people passing the adjacent roads completely unaware of it's existance as an interesting pedestrian thouroughfare. Why couldn't they have used Corten on this? It's clearly a viable material for budget buildings; take 165 West Street (the new student block on the old Spacepad site) for example. Even black brick with some copper/green detailing would have looked better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is indeed pants and the latest proposals have turned it into an even more uninspiring building. It seems the 'modestly' interesting building on the corner with Cumberland St (called 'north elevation' in previous post) is being replaced by 2 more units of the same glass frontage that will front the moor until it reaches the corner with Cumberland St. http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.u...COND-PLANS___ELEVATIONS_16.02.2012-579111.pdf
To be honest i think that interesting section on the end was too small to really fit in with the overall design. I think on balance I'd rather have a banal building with 2 extra valuable retail units than one which tries too hard at each corner elevation, only to expose how crap the section in between is.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
Although totally irrelevant and wishful thinking at this stage I stumbled across this fab market hall U/C in Rotterdam ... ouch
Quite.

I don't know how anyone can get excited about the new Sheffield markets. A crucial component of a thriving city has been consigned to a banal timber and brick box on the arse end of a failed shopping street which is effectively a dead end and leads nowhere.

Other city centres go from strength to strength whilst the centre of Sheffield scores another own goal.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Quite.
f a failed shopping street which is effectively a dead end and leads nowhere.
It leads to London Rd, Sheffield's "restaurant mile" and its most culturally diverse street.

Unfortunately there is a big ugly building at the bottom of the Moor that completely blocks access to London Rd. Sheffield council said some time ago that they would prioritise public access through this building but nothing has been done.

As I mentioned in a previous post, long term revitalisation of The Moor would come with a city tram loop. A single line, one-way extension from Granville Square to West St with stops at Bramall Lane, Moorfoot and possibly Ecclesall Rd, creating a city centre tram circle.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
larven said:
Quite.

I don't know how anyone can get excited about the new Sheffield markets. A crucial component of a thriving city has been consigned to a banal timber and brick box on the arse end of a failed shopping street which is effectively a dead end and leads nowhere.

Other city centres go from strength to strength whilst the centre of Sheffield scores another own goal.
Are u Judd Newton?I know ur architect but that doesn't mean ur right. Ok yeah the building is not amazing but its certainly better then the current market and its based in a better location. I have no doubt that far more people will visit this new market then the current one.

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
Are u Judd Newton?I know ur architect but that doesn't mean ur right. Ok yeah the building is not amazing but its certainly better then the current market and its based in a better location. I have no doubt that far more people will visit this new market then the current one.
It doesn't take an architect to see that it's a pretty shit building.

1 - 20 of 1807 Posts