Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just though i would start a thread on what everyone thinks about nightlife in Sheffield, about clubs and bars you like and how the nightlife could be improved. This is subject thats not really been covered before and its something that i find interesting, this is also an area which i believe Sheffield lags behind on compared to other cities.

·
The Real Robin Hood
549 Posts
Is this the have a go a Sheffield Forum now? haha first of all the shopping is rubbish now the night life is.

I think Sheffield often leads the way in terms of Night life in particular Clubs ie Gatecrasher and the Lead Mill, I love the Lead mill its like the original Carling Academy without the problem of the only larger in there being Carling haha!!

The Bars on West Street and Division Street are class my only issue would be the walk to the clubs but thats only if I'm out with Girls because they whinge haha. If im out with the lads though is often quite nice walking down (unless its raining).

·
<Witty comment here>
3,961 Posts
LOL.

Well, we were supposed to be getting an Oceana. There's two new Rock bars/clubs in Sheffield too, "The Tube" and "Rebels" both on Charter Row.

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
I asked on the skybar, but got no replies, so...

What clubs would you recommend, as me and my friends just go to the usual suspects (Plug, Leadmill, Gatecrasher). We've never dared go to any others incase they're rubbish.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Oceana is meant to be going above Currys.

However is there is no more Gatecrasher as it has errrr burnt down tonight.

·
The Real Robin Hood
549 Posts
I've been to the Oceana in Bristol and it was rubbish it was like being in a clean Kingdom but with loads of pretentious people and the drinks were expensive there too!!

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
From the gatecrasher site:

Fire breaks out at Gatecrasher One

Thankyou for the hundreds of emails and messages of condolence that we've received over the last few hours, there have been many touching testimonies of high times, fun and frolics Gatecrasher One. It is times like these when you the clubber show us how much of an important institution we have created...

Just remember, that which hurts will only make us stronger, and those who know Gatecrasher will be fully aware that the Lion always grows stronger in times of adversity; of course this is saddening news for us all but we are now only thinking of striding forward into a new era of Gatecrasher as we brush ourselves off and stand tall.

Events at Gatecrasher One are cancelled until further notice

Watch this space for further info.

Gatecrasher forever xx
Hopefully that means they won't leave Sheffield, and will open a larger, better club.

·
18,096 Posts
the main venues in my 'social circle' are the leadmill and corporation. ive personally not been to gatecrasher, but its still very sad to see it burn down.

·
Registered
774 Posts
do people think that they'll build on the same site or a new one?im guessing it'll depend on the state the building is after the fire is put out and how structurally sound (if at all) the shell is

i hope they build on the same site with something bigger and better, i mean you didnt really know it was an old steelworks so a totally new structure wouldnt be a total change, embrace is fantastic now, with lots of bars, seating space and a pleasent clean atmosphere, for me gatecrasher has gone down over the past year alone and is a shadow of its former self. i want them to go back to their trance/dance/house roots.

on corporation, go on a wednesday!double vodka and iron bru, need i say more lol (well the music isnt too bad either)

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
I think I agree about it going downhill a bit. First time I went, it was a full on dance/trance night, and it was awesome. Ever since though, they've just been playing commercial dance and cheesy pop. It was still great though.

I dunno if they will build on the same site, as there's a hotel being built next to it, which could cause problems. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Part of it has collpased so the whole lot will come down.

I haven't been to Embrace yet so not seen the change. Hope they rebuild on the same site.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I find Embrace a bit boring. It's huge, but there's not enough people to fill it all and make it exciting.
have to agree sometimes it can be a little sparse in there, indeed they sometimes close rooms off even when the flyers say all 5 rooms are open just so it doesnt look half deserted!i mean kingdom you could take at face value, you went to get smashed on the cheap paint stripper vodka, the carpets were sticky the music was cheesy but hey you were drunk so it didnt matter.

embrace you cant, yeah its shiny and new but for how long?prices have gone up and the overall fun night out appears to be lost, i never had a bad time at kingdom but at embrace you sometimes feel you dont know where to go, there is just so much space you're not sure which bit to stay in and indeed finding people can be a right pain in the arse as well!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Part of it has collpased so the whole lot will come down.

I haven't got much love for Gatecrasher to be honest, but anyone who recalls the BIG battle in 1994 to get that club opened (back when it was The Republic) will be saddened to see this happen. It was a struggle - the notorious Sheffield licensing magistrates refused to grant it a licence as they claimed there were already enough nightclubs in the city. This was a laughable claim as there hadn't been a new licence granted since the Leadmill in 1982. The local papers were deluged with letters, with anyone and everyone raining bile down on the licensing committee; at an appeal, they eventually relented and The Republic was born.

With the rest of Sheffield's clubland pretty much stuck in the stone age back then, The Republic was an amazing sight to behold. I haven't been in there for years, but one of the best nights I've ever had was seeing Jeff Mills spin for 4 hours there back in 1997 - just awesome.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts