SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

According to this report from the BBC planning officials from Sheffield City Council have recommended that the £80m Snow Mountain development is given the go-ahead.

Snow Mountain will be the home to the most innovative indoor real snow experience in Europe, with its revolutionary designed slopes Sheffield Ski Village will become one of the leading tourist destinations in the UK.

The Snow Arena brings the mountains to urban living, with its 300m long by 100m wide piste, it will be the most advanced snow dome in the country. Not only will there be green and red runs, but for the less faint hearted there will be gullies, huge rock outcrops, a half pipe and grind rails.

The proposed Snow Hall is 195,000sqft, 300m long, 100m wide and has a vertical “drop” of nearly 70m.

A Swiss engineered gondola cableway will link the Sheffield Ski Village site with Langsett road Supertram base station in the city centre and then to shirecliffe which will be the terminus. The cable car will be linked to the tram, bus and road network.

You can view the outline planning application for Snow Mountain here

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think this SnowMountain proposal is absolutely fabulous, especially that cableway system which is pretty unique.

The development is of such a scale and something so different for the region that it may well attract lots of snowsports enthusiasts coming to Sheffield on day trips or for weekend stays which can only be a good thing for the city.

I hope Mr. Fleetham and his partners will get the finances together to really see this project get off the ground. Surely this will act as a catalyst to the regeneration of this part of the city.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,546 Posts
a superb idea and idyllic tourism hub.. Something that Sheffield would truly deserve! With the ever increasing British interest in the Winter Olympics in comparison to our feeble native-facilities and training areas, something on this scale is paramount if anyone is to take us seriously as winter athletes.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been upto the Sheffield Ski Village this afternoon and picked up one of their magazines, it has a 2 page spread on the Snow Mountain development.

The article stated that subject to outline planning permission the construction of the new development will begin in the autumn of 2006 with the aim of the entire Snow Mountain resort being completed and fully open in September 2008.

The article featured a better render of the cable car system at night and the cable cars themselves, I really hope this all goes ahead, love the idea of the cable cars linking to the Supertram.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
I only just mentioned the familiar idea of a Sheffield Commonwealth Games and although this will be completely useless to a summer games bid, it would strengthen the city's sporting image.

And what a unique transport link for people in Shirecliffe to boast about, in this country at least. "Yes i get the cable car to work"

·
Registered
259 Posts
This should be great. To be honest I thought this was just a pipe dream when I first heard about it but it looks promising. Should be a good place to view Sheffield's rising skyline.:banana:

·
Banned
8,209 Posts
Yeah, the ski village is very unique and deserves to be upgraded. I love its relative barrenness amongst the surrounding urban sprawl, and it should look fantastic after this.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's a shot of the Ski Village from Langsett where the cable car system will dock with the tram network :cheers:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hooray!!!! the news we've all been waiting for. Sheffields most exciting proposal wins planning approval!!!!!

From today's AJ:

Newcastle-based practice FaulknerBrowns has been given the go ahead for Europe’s largest indoor ‘real snow’ hall.

The new £80 million Snow Mountain project in Sheffield, which revamps the city’s famous ski village, will become part of the wider regeneration programme in the Don Valley.

The project includes plans for a 300m-long ski hall, new leisure accommodation, a hotel and a gondola cableway link to Sheffield Supertram.

It is hoped around 1 million snow enthusiasts a year will visit the new, themed Alpine Village Resort.

According to the practice’s design statement, ‘the development will offer a unique variety of skiing and winter sports activities, including black, red and green-graded runs, along with a half pipe and children’s play area.’

Plus, excitingly (well for some more than others i guess!) the section clearly shows a proper chair lift unlike the shitty bollock bashing drag lifts used elsewhere!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Is the snow hall replacing the dry slope or, is it in addition?
Can't see many people wanting to use the dry slope if there is a snow hall?

1 - 20 of 294 Posts