Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 408 Posts

·
Registered
30,833 Posts
Sheffield has alot more going for it on all those scenes even though both cities have a long way to go. Nottingham is a weird city; its placed in the middle of nowhere yet its a sizeable city but with no real importance (that I can think of, for example Sheffield was originally steel and mining). I know Sheffield better than Nottingham though, but Sheffield is quite nice even though it could do with livening up.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Don't know the ins and outs of how each city performs in the industrial/retail/transport sectors, but as an average joe walking about the places, I feel Sheffield has more of a big city vibe than Nottingham.

I would imagine Nottingham being more of a sellable brand though. Modern, compact city with a bigger airport, castle and the Robin Hood shite for the Grokels, as opposed to a big, ex industrial Northern behemoth (though Manchester has managed to completly reinvent itself in the past 15years, perhaps Sheffield's bite of the cherry is due?)/

·
Registered
30,833 Posts
Sheffield seems to be a bit of a Manchester than hasn't sparked yet. If you think about it, what is has isn't much different to what Manchester had to kick it off- MEN/Hallam Arena, Metrolink/Supertram, Trafford/Meadowhall and motorway connections. Also the ski slopes... I suppose the same could be said about Nottingham but it doesnt have the size or importance of Sheffield and the big city feel and look.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'd agree, Leeds No. 1. Whereas Manchester, Leeds, and to a certain extent, Liverpool, seem to be regenerating, Sheffield seems to be lagging. The Winter Gardens and getting rid of the egg box is a start, but come on Sheff, get your finger out.

It is a sort of Manchester waiting to happen-big population, loads of redevelopment oportunities, but doesn't seem fashionable in a way that Manchester, Leeds or Liverpool are. Of the Big Four, Sheffield, despite it's size, doesn't have the oomph factor.

Perhaps the mooted Commonwealth Games could kick start the place off. Or the Eagles winning the Grand Final in 5 years.

·
Banned
8,209 Posts
The thing is, I like Sheffield the way it is. Just because it's not deemed "cool" or whatever doesn't make it crap. It has a big village feel which I've yet to experience in any other city.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You've got it bang on there. "Big Village" (which I don't think is meant in a derrogatory way) is what Sheffield seems to be. A city, give or take, the same size as Manc., Leeds and Liverpool. It could do better, not just for skyscrapers, but for improving its profile nationally, let alone trying to achieve international status.

·
Registered
30,833 Posts
I don't think Meadowhall does it much good. Its good and useful but it no doubt takes potential oppurtunity from the city centre. A major city centre flagship scheme is needed to get it going. Harvey Nichols, Peter Jones? In the same way since Harvey Nichols in Leeds, the city has got going.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know this is supposed to be for none Nottm/Sheff members, but why is Sheffield much bigger and more important than Nottingham?

Official Government defined Urban Area populations

Nottingham 666,358
Sheffield 640,720

Nottingham has -

A bigger Airport
Is in the top five shopping league table (Meadowhall is no.20 Sheff City Centre??)
Is the regional capital of the East Midlands (pop 4.2m) - regional media, development agency etc.
Is a bigger financial centre
has one of Europes largest teaching hospitals
has a Hard-Rock cafe
Test cricket ground
Olympic standard watersports centre
Racecourse
+ both cities have 2 similar size Universities, Trams + an Arena.

OK Sheffield has beaten Nottingham to get a 30+ storey building, but the council has just released a document identifying 4 sites set to have high-rises built over the next few years.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sheffield is more important as it has a large metro area, bigger tram network, bigger arena, fastest growing airport, many olympic sized sports facilities and lots of devolpment under way as well as a larger student popualtion. As for the buisness side it is the fastest growing city outside London.

·
Registered
30,833 Posts
Bearing in mind that fastest growing can still mean that it's a long way from the biggest competitors. Sheffields city centre isn't that good but it has the Devonshire Qtr suppose, and the city centre is due for a large investment to regenerate it. The shops at Meadowhall are good city centre shops, but probably what pushes it down are things like the lack of big named department stores (HN, Selfridges, John Lewis etc) and the environment of the centre, and facilities.

Nottingham itself is clearly smaller than Sheffield, Sheffield is quite a sprawly city IMO. The points about:
Teaching Hospital
Hard-Rock Café
Test Cricket Ground
Olympic Standard Watersports Centre and the Racecourse I wouldn't really say make much difference, because most other cities have them or an equivalent.

After that though, Sheffield still has an industrial factory sort of feel to it IMO, and the city centre feels quite town like... Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds all have very strong rich city centres, but not Sheffield and I dont know why- there doesnt seem to be the same attraction to Sheffield as there is to other cities. Nottingham's is quite rich but quite small. Sheffield still feels quite industrial but much of it is modern warehouse manufacturing sort of industry, unlike in Bradford where its all old mills and everything with huge potential. So if Sheffield does want to really be recognised as superior to Nottingham and confirm it, it needs to really regenerate and build proper buildings on all these sites with warehouses and small buildings. Nottingham on the other hand in general can just build from where it is. It seriously needs to sort out the quality of life on offer in the city though- its quite well known for gun crime, something Im sure puts off businesses and potential residents.

·
Kolymaaa
3,752 Posts
ask anyone in the world outside britain, which city is more important. they will ALL say nottingham, every last one of them. unless they saw full monty of course

·
Registered
30,833 Posts
The international view of Britian is totally messed up... What people know is all based on history and things- Robin Hood connotated with Nottingham, Man U with Manchester...etc People probably wouldn't know 1/2 as much if it werent for those. Everyone always seems to think that we all live in/near London and London is the only main city.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm sorry but I don't agree with some of your comments Leeds No .1. and Karate Kev. Sheffield is much more famous around the world than Nottingham and as for the big city feel in parts Sheffield does seem quiet but in others its is very busy and bustling. Sheffield has got a John Lewis in the city centre and in the New Retail Quarter to be built the new John Leqis will be twice as big as the current one. Of course Sheffield has it's grimy industrial quarters but so does every city and most of Sheffield's have either been devolped or are going to be re-devolped. Only on Friday plans were unveilved for a £150 million re-generation plan for a former industrial area. In five years time Sheffield will be one of the big 6. Nottingham won't.

Here a links to prove why:

http://www.sheffield1.com

http://www.map21ltd.com/COSTC11/Sheffield/sh-backgrnd.htm

http://www.sheffieldnrq.co.uk

·
Kolymaaa
3,752 Posts
Sheffield is much more famous around the world than Nottingham
have you ever left sheffield? i think not if thats what you think, sheffield is about as famous as leicester on the world stage i.e. non existent. Even Derby is more famous than sheffield, if only for the name Derby

Nottingham is world famous for Robin Hood, and famous for its football team, champions of europe 2 times.

whats sheffield famous for? like i said, they have the full monty. Thats it. and nobody remembers the city the film was made in anyway. People in our nearest country, France have never heard of sheffield. It has no fame whatsoever for anything, sorry

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
S.Yorks Capital said:
It seems there is a growing rivarly on this forum between these two cities
..so lets stoke the fire by giving idiots a place to city bash and generally argue over whose ***** is less tiny than whose. I see no chance of a reasoned debate coming from this 'battle'.

1 - 20 of 408 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.