SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.communities.gov.uk/news/newsroom/2173980

Following Greater Manchester's example, Leeds and Sheffield will each form Combined Authorities, bringing their existing local authorities together so they can make more strategic decisions about how money is spent and what it is spent on.
We appear to have gained freedom over skills and transport, with further freedoms to be handed down in time.

This could mean projects could be brought forward, such as the tram train. The budget for infrastructures is over £570m, but the time period hasn't been defined. The money isn't additional, just allocated differently.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Page 21 of the Guide to City Deals:
"Sheffield will receive new powers to fund a £33m city centre regeneration scheme through tax increment financing – a New Development Deal."
I believe this relates to Sevenstones.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
From the Local Government Chronicle:

Sheffield City Deal

• The Sheffield City Region will work with the government to create a local skills funding model to address skills gaps in key growth sectors such as advanced manufacturing. Sheffield will lever in £44.4m of local public and private sector investment in return for £27.8m of devolved funding from central government, to create 4,300 new apprenticeships and 2000 additional qualifications in key sectors.
  • The city region will also receive new financial powers as part of the deal to strengthen its economic self-reliance, through a Sheffield City Region Investment Fund (SCRIF). This will provide flexible financial tools to invest in growth, develop infrastructure, create jobs and stimulate inward investment. The deal also includes new initiatives for transport and nuclear advanced manufacturing in return for strengthened governance in the form of a South Yorkshire combined authority.
  • Sheffield will receive new powers to fund a £33m city centre regeneration scheme through tax increment financing – a New Development Deal.
  • Governance: The eight councils of the city region have already started a statutory governance review as part of the process towards creating a combined authority
Source

·
Florenceism
2,171 Posts
Also BBC specifies what each city is getting :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18709029

WHAT CITIES ARE GETTING?
Power to raise funds for local infrastructure (Newcastle, Sheffield, Nottingham, Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and Sheffield)
Devolved transport budgets (Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds and Sheffield)
Control over skills budget (Sheffield)
Apprenticeship hubs (Bristol, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle and Nottingham)
Job, training and work experience guarantees (Leeds, Liverpool and Newcastle)
And each city/area in South Yorkshire getting a share of £700m :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-18720102

South Yorkshire handed more spending power Sheffield people will be able to decide how to spend the money, says the council leader Continue reading the main story

Four South Yorkshire councils are to be given a share of a £700m fund under plans for regions across the UK to be handed more powers.

Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield councils will be able to spend the money as they choose.

Councillor Julie Dore, leader of Sheffield Council, said: "Local people, politicians and business leaders can decide how we spend that money."

In return for the cash the authorities must sign up to a series of pledges.

One of the region's main promises is to introduce 4,200 apprenticeships.

At the moment councils running England's major cities have to lobby central government if they want extra money to invest in a major transport scheme or regeneration project.

Ms Dore highlighted digital and media, healthcare technology and advanced manufacturing as industries important to the city's prosperity.

'Big first step'
Continue reading the main story
Analysis
James Vincent

BBC Yorkshire Political Reporter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The key to this is not new money, or even more money for Sheffield, but who spends the money.

Normally Whitehall officials spend the cash on things like transport for South Yorkshire, but the Government is keen that our councils now make the decisions.

Doncaster, Rotherham and Barnsley will be keen to make sure those decisions do not just benefit Sheffield. The idea of letting a city region keep the business rates it generates, rather than sharing them around the country may backfire if places like Barnsley, that don't bring in as much as Sheffield, are seen to lose out.

As for the city in this city region, they'll be looking to see if the money can help get stalled projects like the Sevenstone shopping centre off the ground.

She said: "We need to have those skilled people for those jobs and we're best placed to do that."

The Sheffield City Region Partnership brings together the nine local authorities Barnsley, Bassetlaw, Bolsover, Chesterfield, Derbyshire Dales, Doncaster, North East Derbyshire, Rotherham and Sheffield.

Nick Clegg, the Deputy Prime Minister and Liberal Democrat MP for Sheffield Hallam, said: "This is a big first step in a major handover of power."

He said thousands of people in Sheffield would be given support to update their skills and get new qualifications.

James Newman, chairman of the Sheffield City Region Local Enterprise Partnership, said: "We can make sure we have a highly skilled workforce which corresponds with the city region's business needs.

"Our transport deal will ensure that our workforce can travel faster, smarter and more efficiently."

John Mothersole, chief executive of Sheffield City Council, said: "The proposals in our deal signal an unprecedented shift in control away from Whitehall."

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
So goodbye to RMBC, SCC etc?
No, the city and borough councils will remain in place, but some responsibilities which they currently have will be pooled at a city regional level, along with powers which have been gained from the central government in the city deal. It'll be similar to what Greater Manchester currently has, with their combined authority.

·
Steelyblade
826 Posts
Fair enough.

Really hope there is big investment in tram / tram-train expansion. We all know it makes sense.
Yup, and sorting out the retail in Sheffield centre too.

I'm now a regular visitor to Manchester, which I view as being the 2nd city of England pretty much.

Sheffield is no-where near as big in terms of metro area and it shows, so we aren't going to compete in a direct sense in most forms.

But in a relative sense we can.

Having now been around Manchester that bit more Sheffield really does just lack the retail offering in the centre to make it a pretty good city centre.

Sure we have less attractions in terms of museums and such but we do have alot going for us. The root of the problem is the shopping and thus increasing numbers in the centre of Sheffield.

Not to mention our tram network actually works extremely well compared to Manchesters. (Most unreliable trams I've come across). It's not really extensive and I'd like to see it extended, this tram-train idea is good.

Sure there are other things too but we aren't a million miles away and I think that's what probably grinds us most of all.
With appropriate funding and planning we could have a centre that has a better offering and works.

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
I agree, Sheffield will never be able to compete with Manchester which is now a de facto second city and one of the few places still booming in these times, but a visit 40 miles further west to Liverpool or just south to Nottingham shows that it's perfectly possible to have a far better retail environment in the city centre even with other bigger and better offerings nearby.

I really like Sheffield City Centre and think it's a great place to be, and wouldn't take that much to make it even better, but it's definitely missing a decent retail development, so if Sevenstone ever could get off the ground and offer us a smaller version of Liverpool One say, then I think it will do wonders for the city centre and hopefully attracting more shoppers in will also make it a more attractive place for cultural offerings and business too.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I agree, Sheffield will never be able to compete with Manchester which is now a de facto second city and one of the few places still booming in these times, but a visit 40 miles further west to Liverpool or just south to Nottingham shows that it's perfectly possible to have a far better retail environment in the city centre even with other bigger and better offerings nearby.

I really like Sheffield City Centre and think it's a great place to be, and wouldn't take that much to make it even better, but it's definitely missing a decent retail development, so if Sevenstone ever could get off the ground and offer us a smaller version of Liverpool One say, then I think it will do wonders for the city centre and hopefully attracting more shoppers in will also make it a more attractive place for cultural offerings and business too.
I don't think you should be looking over to Manc, Liverpool or even Nottingham, Sheffields city centre biggest threat to growing in the Yorkshire region is 30 miles up the M1 in Leeds, especially with massive retail development already taking place in Leeds. It looks like its getting very close to an announcement that Eastgate Quarters will be going ahead as Leeds City Council have just agreed a new car park site for John Lewis next to their site. With Trinity Leeds opening next year, new retail developments around the new Leeds Arena, and with the Eastgate Quarters development, retail investment will be over £1.2 billion over a 5 year period, and thats with Leeds now being one of the top retail centres in the UK.

Sheffield desperately needs Sevenstone otherwise I fear it will fall even further down the rankings of major retail destinations in Yorks.

·
Steelyblade
826 Posts
I don't think you should be looking over to Manc, Liverpool or even Nottingham, Sheffields city centre biggest threat to growing in the Yorkshire region is 30 miles up the M1 in Leeds, especially with massive retail development already taking place in Leeds. It looks like its getting very close to an announcement that Eastgate Quarters will be going ahead as Leeds City Council have just agreed a new car park site for John Lewis next to their site. With Trinity Leeds opening next year, new retail developments around the new Leeds Arena, and with the Eastgate Quarters development, retail investment will be over £1.2 billion over a 5 year period, and thats with Leeds now being one of the top retail centres in the UK.

Sheffield desperately needs Sevenstone otherwise I fear it will fall even further down the rankings of major retail destinations in Yorks.
Sheffield won't directly compete with Leeds either though.

Leeds already has a better retail offering in the centre but it also has a bigger catchment too.

I have to say I have rarely ventured to Leeds for a shopping trip, but I have been to Manchester and Nottingham much more.

Nottingham really is more of a target to aim at, but what Sheffield really needs is the chain retail to be brought up to standard for the size of city Sheffield is.
(For example a bigger Next and Topshop, Zara's, House of Fraser etc.
But then a few that are more unique too, such as more selective chain stores and independents.

How that is achieved I'm not sure at all, but all Sheffield can do is try to improve upon a generally poor retail offering. With theMoor redevelopment and Sevenstone there will be a large amount of new modern retail space.
The task then is getting tenants in.

·
Registered
804 Posts

Not quite sure what you are getting at here, other than just pointing out what is happening in Leeds. Most on here are just hoping for a considerable improvement in the city centre offering so at not constantly have to trudge off to meadowhall. I don't think many are expecting us to all of sudden be taking on liverpool, leeds or wherever else. With a more adequate provision in the centre, together with meadowhall a 15 min tram away I don't think the offering overall in Sheffield will be too bad.

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
Spotted this today

Sheffield region’s bid to absorb Chesterfield faces legal setback after ruling

Judge says town’s residents not consulted in custody battle between Derbyshire council and city region it calls ‘predatory’

Frances Perraudin North of England reporter

Best known for its surreal crooked church spire, the 800-year-old market town of Chesterfield is not used to being the centre of attention. But the unassuming Derbyshire town has found itself the subject of a fierce custody battle between the county council and a new devolved authority.

Local politicians have been accused of making a predatory land grab for the historic town thats “risks Chesterfield spending the next 30 years living in South Yorkshire’s shadow” after attempting to place authority for the area with the new Sheffield city region.

However, the high court ruled on Wednesday that a bid for control of the area by the new city region had failed to consult Chesterfield residents about whether they wanted to join the combined authority.

Derbyshire county council brought the case against Sheffield city region combined authority in August, saying it needed to act immediately to save the town from absorption into Sheffield.

Chesterfield borough council voted in March to apply to become part of the Sheffield combined authority, which hopes to elect a mayor in May in return for an extra £900m of funding. But Derbyshire council has warned residents that the move could “mean the end of Derbyshire as an administrative county”.

“Sheffield city region is very predatory,” said the leader of Derbyshire county council, Anne Western. “I think that’s a fair word … They want a bigger scale, a bigger footprint, so they can compete with Manchester and West Yorkshire.”

In August, 92% of the 5,000 people who responded to an online poll organised by the county council said they did not want Chesterfield to become a full member of the Sheffield city region.

“It’s partly a kneejerk emotional reaction,” said Western. “It’s a very deep identity thing. People don’t relate to Sheffield and South Yorkshire. They see themselves very strongly as Derbyshire people and want to remain so.”

She said there was a “long folk memory” of the reorganisation of local government in 1967 when the north Derbyshire towns of Mosborough and Beighton were absorbed into Sheffield.

“You’ve got to bear in mind that Chesterfield doesn’t have a border with South Yorkshire,” she said. “It would be a little island floating off the southern boundary of Sheffield city region. And that would cause all sorts of difficulties.

“Chesterfield is the biggest market town in Derbyshire and is a transport hub. It’s the centre for bus services and it’s got our mainline railway station and if those services and the resources from those services were to go to Sheffield city region … it just would make transport planning almost impossible.”

The Cities and Local Government Devolution Act, which passed into law in January, removed a veto that had allowed county councils to prevent district councils seeking to join new combined authorities outside their county area.

As it stands, the new city region includes the whole of South Yorkshire, with Chesterfield in Derbyshire and Bassetlaw in Nottinghamshire applying to join the Sheffield city region. Like Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire county council is fiercely opposed to the move.

The chair of Sheffield city region and leader of Barnsley council, Sir Steve Houghton, has accused Western of issuing “misleading” statements that have served to harm the devolution process.

A spokesperson for the Sheffield city region combined authority stressed that the judge’s verdict had not quashed the consultative work already been done but had said more was needed before it could be considered by central government. “We will now take some time to consider the judgment and our next steps,” the spokesperson said.

John Burrows, leader of Chesterfield borough council, said a share of at least £484m over the next five years was at stake. “There is no other devolution deal on the table. Council leaders elsewhere in Derbyshire still don’t want an elected mayor, which means there is no prospect of an alternative Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire deal,” he said.

Stewart Arnold, leader of the Yorkshire party, which campaigns for a Yorkshire parliament, said the process had highlighted the importance of identity in the devolution debate.

“The people of Chesterfield, despite being near neighbours, do not consider themselves to be part of Sheffield or Yorkshire as a whole,” he said. “This has been a fundamental flaw of the devolution plans all along, which have tended to focus just on financial implications and not on identity and community.”

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I suspect this will be the end of the SCR devo deal altogether.
Government have hinted that any area without a signed deal now won't see any chance of being given one until at least 2020, if ever! SCR CA had been told by Government that they were waiting for the result of this judicial review before ratifying the deal that has been signed in draft for many months now. The result of the review has gone against SCR CA.
I have also read within the last week that Sheffield City Council has said in the past that if 'realistic geography' wasn't achieved they would withdraw their support for the deal - meaning if Chesterfield and/or Bassetlaw weren't allowed to join up as full constituent members. Without SCC the SCR devo deal and an elected Metro Mayor is dead.

The only possible hope of saving a deal is if the article is correct to say that the judge decided only consultation with the residents of Chesterfield hadon't gone far enough rather than it being fundamentally flawed. That way, if Government agree to hang on for another year or so, they could run a second consultation then push on; but I fear in this age of insular populist thinking, and Derbys County Council's spin in the press that full membership would be a takeover of the town by Sheffield, such a consultation would result in a resounding 'no' and the deal would be off anyway.

Puts Chesterfield District Council in a difficult position. They voted to join and argued against Derby's CC in the review, yet now will have keep working under them on key areas of planning and infrastructure.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The consultation hasn't been quashed as not all of it was unlawful. It'll be interesting to see what the secretary of state makes of it.

Further consultation would add 2 months to the timetable that should have already seen parliament approve the order for the mayoral combined authority.

My article here http://www.rothbiz.co.uk/2016/12/news-5297-judgement-in-devolution-legal.html

·
Heart of tofu
699 Posts
I like Chesterfield as much as the next man but it seems a bit weird that it might break the devo deal. Can someone explain why it's so important to SCC?

1 - 20 of 436 Posts