Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Dubai, E11 is known as “Sheikh Zayed Road”. 347 miles(558.4 km) Sheikh Zayed Road is the longest road in the UAE, Sheikh Zayed Road stretches from the city of Abu Dhabi and ends in Ras Al Khaimah, running roughly parallel to UAE’s coastline along the Persian Gulf.

Sheikh Zayed Road Dubai : A Road to Dubai Future

·
297,994 Posts

http://www.glinkdubai.com/aboutdubai%203G.htm

btw, horrible avenue
BTW, its amazing how that area changed since 1993, and i am not talking only for the year 2003... :cheers:

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Some of the buildings are really cool.

But when it comes to urban planning or city fabric - Sheikh Zayed Road - is a Road to Dubai Failure (not Future).
It is such an anti-city thing - a huge highway dissecting tho sides. No developed city in the developed world would ever allow such thing. Think Stockholm, think Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Toronto, Sydney, Barcelona... The world has moved on so much from such arrangements.

·
Registered Abuser
677 Posts
Some of the buildings are really cool.

But when it comes to urban planning or city fabric - Sheikh Zayed Road - is a Road to Dubai Failure (not Future).
It is such an anti-city thing - a huge highway dissecting tho sides. No developed city in the developed world would ever allow such thing. Think Stockholm, think Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Toronto, Sydney, Barcelona... The world has moved on so much from such arrangements.
Whats wrong with disecting the city with a highway? its the same thing as building a city on both sides of the river, you have a bridge above the river and everything will be fine

·
Premium Member
11,943 Posts
^^ Still These buildings would look better in city than along one highway...It just doesn't feel right. It doesn't create the 'city feeling' but more that of giant office park.
I also have strange feelings when I see the other highrise districts in Dubai that create a park like feeling instead of a city one. Park developement is for the Suburbs, not for highrise near downtown.

That doesn't take away that it must be breath taking traveling along this road...

·
Registered Abuser
677 Posts
^^ Still These buildings would look better in city than along one highway...It just doesn't feel right. It doesn't create the 'city feeling' but more that of giant office park.
I also have strange feelings when I see the other highrise districts in Dubai that create a park like feeling instead of a city one. Park developement is for the Suburbs, not for highrise near downtown.

That doesn't take away that it must be breath taking traveling along this road...
Most buildings are scattered around the city in Dubai and not just along the highway... Dubai has a number of skylines, not just one

·
Premium Member
11,943 Posts
^^ I know... but that is not really an answer on what I posted.
.... also have strange feelings when I see the other highrise districts in Dubai that create a park like feeling instead....
But just lets take the most famous example of Dubai Marina or even Business bay...Highrise districts build like suburbs on cul de sac roads?
In that way the old Dubai of Deira and Bur Dubai looks way more like a city than those new districts...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts