SkyscraperCity banner

1121 - 1137 of 1137 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
410.3 km long, surpassing the Moscow Metro if they don't open anything (I think there is some small openings for 2020). If Moscow opens some stuff in 2020 and 2021, my guess is 2022 will be when Shenzhen definitively takes 4th spot in the world. You can't argue with 90km of additional subway opening in one year (Line 12 and 14 by 2022).

·
Leudimin
No 41, not good
8,623 Posts
Don't forget Chengdu, which is sightly behind Shenzhen and is exploding this year, adding over 200 km this year and propelling directly to the third place, just 10 years after opening! Now that is something.

·
Leudimin
No 41, not good
8,623 Posts
"The town" (as I like to call Shenzhen, since 圳 and 镇 -the latter meaning "town"- are perfect homophones in both Mandarin and Cantonese) is expected to open two new lines in the next few days (most likely at the end of the month), lines 6 and 10. I had been awaiting for line 6 ever since I joined this forum as it serves the Guangming district, back then no other line was planned to do so (now there at least two others). As for line 10, it didn't appear in the 12 line plan from back then (at the time it was the now U/C line 12 the one numbered 10, at least in theory because this was during the time they used names instead of numbers) but did so in the long-term 16 line plan as line 16, so I didn't think it would be built by now, but it serves an area of the city (Pinghu) not covered in the former plan.
Both are opening next Tuesday. I didn't expect them until the end of the month (in any of the days between 28 and 31).

·
Leudimin
No 41, not good
8,623 Posts
I see line 6 is opening all the way to Kexueguan, I thought it would only open North of Shenzhenbei (Shenzhen North) railway station as the rest wasn't in the original plan and therefore I expected to open at a later date. What is sure, is that line 6 doesn't have any of its originally planned section anymore, as it first appeared in the plans in 1994 running from Songgang to... Bao'an airport, more or less following what is now line 11. Only in 2003 the plans for line 6 started to resemble what has been built, minus the extension to Kexueguan (which was added in the 20 line plan from 2012).

·
Leudimin
No 41, not good
8,623 Posts
And like many openings lately there's always that f***ing station that misses the target date :mad:, this time it's Gangxia Bei on line 10. Apparently the transfer to line 2 isn't ready yet and they don't want to open the line 10 station without it being open. On the other hand all stations on line 6 are in operation.

·
Hello
46 Posts
And like many openings lately there's always that f***ing station that misses the target date :mad:, this time it's Gangxia Bei on line 10. Apparently the transfer to line 2 isn't ready yet and they don't want to open the line 10 station without it being open. On the other hand all stations on line 6 are in operation.
It's because they are building a major new hub there serving Line 2, Line 10, Line 11, and Line 14.

·
Leudimin
No 41, not good
8,623 Posts
Wow, I didn't knew about this monorail line until now. It appears it has been built in record time, as 5 stations are already complete. In a further phase it should extend all the way to the Shenzhen Pingshan railway station.

Meanwhile I discovered there may be a naming conflict between two stations. Xikeng on the section of line 4 opening later this year and Xikeng at the end of the planned 2nd phase of line 16. They are perfect homophones (in both Mandarin and Cantonese) and almost homographs as well, the only difference being a grass radical on the first character of the line 4 station (茜坑 vs 西坑). I hope they notice that and rename one of the stations (Xikeng on line 4 has the alternate reading "Qiankeng" in Mandarin), because this is unlike the Xiaogangs of Guangzhou or the Guanzhuangs of Beijing, in which both pairs are pronounced sightly differently from each other. Another thing is Shaanxi Nanlu of Shanghai, since it refers to one of the pair of provinces and thus I spell it accordingly despite being the only "Shanxi Nanlu" there.

1121 - 1137 of 1137 Posts