SkyscraperCity Forum banner

SHKODRA

472684 1793
The city of Shkodër is one of the most important cities in Albania
It is 2400 years old city , one of the oldest in Europe
During the Ottoman years it had the biggest Market in the Balkans
It is a city rich in culture and tradition
Located in North-Western Albania , it makes up of over 100.000 inhabitants :)
Because it is a northern city , it hasnt progressed as it should , so is way behind Tirana and Durrës
Here are some photos

21 - 40 of 1794 Posts
Great city! I really like with my heart Shkodra! My dad is from Shkodra! Is a disgrace that such beautiful buildings with that architechture are in such bad conditions!

Tipical commie city:D

Shkoder has plenty of potential considering its size and importance in the North however it remains one of the most under-developed cities in Albania still.

Loro Borici Stadium built in the 50's

this is my favorite city. ;)
i heard there was a bicycle tour that was opened there. this city has so much potential for tourism. so much history and culture in just one street there.
here's a new panaroma shot. as you can see thinkgs are being fixed here as well. and it seems the color of Tirana is starting to spread.

Yeah what's up with that:D
Shkodra is still quite a poor city as the pictures show, i heard many of its citizens are moving to Tirana.
I hope not too many people move out of Shkoder or it will really cause a depression in the city. From the latest pictures posted in this thread, I can tell the city is trying to fix itself.
Simple things such as making more greenery and repainting buildings will make the people much more enthusiastic about living in Shkoder.
that was the case of huge migrations after 1990's but not at the moment. most of the original "shkodrans" have left the city and the populatoin now is very uneducated. mostly farmers from north of shkoder have moved into the city. it has lost its charms cause of that but I hope it can still be fixed.
I don't think it's smart to worry about loosing intellects in the city.
Time will pass and things will get better.
Some businesses will invest there demanding educated people, and they will appear. Once again, intelligence will be regained in the city. :)
lakerdar123 said:
that was the case of huge migrations after 1990's but not at the moment. most of the original "shkodrans" have left the city and the populatoin now is very uneducated. mostly farmers from north of shkoder have moved into the city. it has lost its charms cause of that but I hope it can still be fixed.
well if the intellects had remained they would have fixed the city. Still though I'm sure it will all get better in the near future. My brother went to the city last summer and he told me the streets are being fixed. everything is being paved and they had water and electricity 24/7. so everything was heading in the right direction and I will probably go there next summer and i'm going to buy a 500 gigabyte flash card and nice digital camera and take pictures of Lezha, Shkodra, Kukes, Tropoja, the beaches of Shengjin and Velipoje. Thats pretty much northern Albania because we get so few pictures from there.
At the moment Shkodra is a shadow of its glorious past, but the ingredients are there.

Being an incurable optimist I am sure Shkodra will shine again.
from what i know things have been getting better already. roads are strating to be paved and utilties are being fixed. i'm sure it'll get better soon.
Highly optimistic eh;)
Of course Shkodra will get better but seems to me that the old town is starting to dissapear in the midst of all these constructions that have no appeal whatsoever to me.
Dont just built, built something worth looking at.
Saimir said:
At the moment Shkodra is a shadow of its glorious past, but the ingredients are there.

Being an incurable optimist I am sure Shkodra will shine again.
i don't care about the look of th ecity. it can be the ugliest city in the world as long as the living standards rise.
Though this city is small it has some striking architectures suchlike mosques and churches.But my favorite city is Prizren.:=)
21 - 40 of 1794 Posts