Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favourite shopping centre in London? We could try to make a list with all of them, also saying what kind of stuff we can find there. That can help us visit the ones we hadn't heard about!

I know Harrods, Selfridges, West One and Bluewater.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
The one in Catford smells of wee but it's got a great, big, fibreglass cat at the front entrance. I like that.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
When I worked in Covent Garden - or 7 Dials, whatever. I would eat my lunch in on the ground floor of Thomas Neal's shopping centre (same old warehouse as the Donmar) near the Starbucks (née Seattle Coffee Company).

Don't know why I've written that - it's boring.

And sometimes in Ching Court instead - when it was warm. Yeah. Bollocks.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
Ooh, put it away. It's nothing we haven't seen before, Isaac. :eek:hno: :lol:

I liked the South London Press during my period of metropolitan misery.

Sample billboard headlines (apologies for those who have read these before):

Lewisham Man Invents Car that Can Travel over Land and Sea; and

New Cross Dog Smelliest in Britain.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
London's weekly papers are the worst.

Greater Manchester has three daily evening papers as far as I know, my very own Oldham Chronicle, the Bolton Evening News and the crappy MEN.

Liverpool has a couple of dailies.

London is very poorly served by a local press. Which is strange considering the size of the place.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
The MEN isn't bad for a local. It's better than the Echo but not the Daily Post.

The Standard is a nasty Mailalike geared up to make sub-mediocre, self-loathing snobs feel better about themselves.

Aren't those posho districts' papers - Ham & High, that Richmond one - any good? Can't say I've ever bought one. If you live in London you're usually interested in your very local area or the city as a whole - or its centre in particular.

Even the Standard is superfluous in that regard. The "national" press is all London papers and they cover their city as well as the big American newspapers do theirs.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
I used to like the Standard when it had news in it but it went down when they ditched Bristow. I'm not too bothered about a paper's political leanings, it never effects mine, I read them all.

London needs a couple of competing tabloids like the New York Post and Daily News.

Those free papers need burning though, they are opinionless, stale and boring.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Most boroughs have their own weekly paper (Mine has 2 and shares one another with haringey).

And weekdays you can get the Standard/london lite or London paper on the streets in the evening aswell as the metro in the morning.

How many more newspapers do you need?

As for shopping centre, I prefer to wander round west end wether it be Selfridges, Carnaby street, Covent Garden or wherever and see what takes my fancy.

Wood Green has opened a few new clothing stores, which arent national chains, and are decent. But unless you're from London or know someone from the surrounding area, you're unlikely to go there.

Not too keen on out of town shopping centre's, they're for people living in places like Basildon.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
I went to Bluewater once. It was in a deep pit and had a Shere Khan curry takeaway in the food hall, I remember.

I combined my trip that afternoon with a visit to Rochester and Chatham. Everyone was pissed there. And all the better for it, I thought.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Weekly papers are cack. London is piss poor for local daily papers, like I said, when growing up in Oldham I had two evening papers to choose from, London once had two evening papers of it's own the Evening News and the Evening Standard and I remember Roberts Maxwell's Post.

A daily north London paper like Long Island's Newsday would be nice but I suppose suburban London is physically much smaller than suburban New York and more connected to the centre than suburban New York, rendering a seperate paper useless.

http://www.newsday.com/

Would still be nice though.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Ended up going to Brent Cross to pick up a parcel from a courier company near the shopping centre, went their by public transport and foot... my god what a shit hole. I was actually depressed as to how much ground work we need to do after reading all the wonderful urban literature, ideas and policy that is out there.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
I didnt see, I was wandering over these suspended walkways that weaved in and out of motorways, saw this completely pointless out-of-town style thing next to the motorway junction containing a Next, Borders and a Jessops, I mean what the hell is the point of that?!?! There are about 4 major high streets located with in 10 minutes of this place.

Brent Cross shopping centre after getting off the bus was just this completely incomprehensible wall, no walls, windows, doors, or inviting passages just a wall with some logos. The entire area should be demolished.

Hendon Central which is a major tube stop near the shopping centre is actually laid out quite attractively with scope for more retail, however what could be a pleasent square or an arrival point to get ones barings is actually a giant junction for the North circular and the traffic actually bombs through leaving little desire to explore the place. I spent time watching the interaction and it is ugly, the drivers are completely hooked on the prospect of the M1 and treat this busy mixed urban place as if it was their own. The pedestrians look precarious as they dash for the safety of the undergound. No doubt if traffic calming measure were introduced the retailers would all moann that all their customers were being scared off ho hum.

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
Brent Cross is shite - an ugly mess that feels like a dimly lit cave inside. When i worked there the centre would be surrounded by rats every night too....its not a very nice feeling waiting for the bus in an empty car park, surrounded by rats, flyovers, dark passages and the stench of piss.

Wood Green is where its at :yes: - a medium sized shopping centre (ugly on the outside, but you get used to it) and a nice long high street. It works well as a shopping district. And it doesnt become a wind swept, lonely cess pit after dark

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Brent Cross is shite - an ugly mess that feels like a dimly lit cave inside. When i worked there the centre would be surrounded by rats every night too....its not a very nice feeling waiting for the bus in an empty car park, surrounded by rats, flyovers, dark passages and the stench of piss.

Wood Green is where its at :yes: - a medium sized shopping centre (ugly on the outside, but you get used to it) and a nice long high street. It works well as a shopping district.
Richer clientelle in Brent Cross than Wood Green though.

Those high streets near Brent Cross are dead, Hendon Central, Golders Green Road - Charity shop central, Cricklewood Broadway is like stepping into a northern town just after the last factory closed down circa 1985.

Toys R Us was the next big shed after Tesco.

I thought they were going to make Brent Cross bigger.

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
Richer clientelle in Brent Cross than Wood Green though.

Those high streets near Brent Cross are dead, Hendon Central, Golders Green Road - Charity shop central, Cricklewood Broadway is like stepping into a northern town just after the last factory closed down circa 1985.
Now now, no need for snobbery ;)

Despite the richer clientelle there isnt much in Brent X that you can't get in Wood Green.....and the shopping centre has managed to integrate very well with the High Street - if anything the Shopping centre and the High Street boost each other. Then, just down the road from WG you have Green Lanes, a thriving, vibrant.....very 'ethic' high street.

Oh, and both ends of WG High road are served with a Tube Station.....unlike Brent X which has its station in the middle of no-where, about a 15min, very unpleasant, walk from the nearest shop :yes: (apparantly this will change though, when they redevelop the area)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.