SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 2143 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the chance to visit Centro Toombul in Brisbane as it was near my accomodation. I noticed the cinema area and food courts were empty, but I was not aware of the extent of the problems that it has. I didnt know the cinemas had been closed for years. Even with Chermside nearby, was there really a need to shut it down???

From The Courier Mail

Centro Toombul far away from flagship past
August 07, 2008 11:00pm

IT used to be a flagship, now it's a farce. Centro Toombul is falling apart and operating problems are driving an exodus of customers and retailers.

Cracks in ceilings through which water pours on to store counters, cracks in a delivery ramp rendering it unusable and regularly flooding toilets were among the signs of neglect, retailers said.

Tell us about your Toombul experiencesThe loss of customer drawcards such as Cue, Toombul Music and Fone Zone - with others such as the Coffee Club also rumoured to be on their way out - is creating a vicious circle for stores left behind.

"Everyone's pissed off," said one store employee.

"If you've got shops like Cue and Toombul Music they attract other customers.

"There's just no traffic now. It's a dead centre."

This has all occurred under the watch of cash-strapped owner Centro, which is busy trying to entice buyers for its US and Australian centres in a bid to keep its banks - to whom it owes more than $17.5 billion - at bay.

Centro Toombul, a stone's throw from Brisbane's wealthiest suburbs, was one of the city's earliest and most popular major shopping centres.

Its foodcourt once hosted throngs of teens and families lured by the nearby cinema complex and games centre.

But the entertainment is gone and the foodcourt is virtually a ghost town.

With the exit of KFC, only a McDonald's and a Chinese takeaway are left.

Kristine Thomas, of Raceview, who dropped in for lunch on her way to the airport recently, said the offerings were "terrible".

"I thought this was a food court but there's not much to choose from," she said.

The manager of one well-known chain said the abysmal foodcourt and store closures had both taken their toll on business.

"The clients are letting us know they're not coming to the centre because there's not many shops open here. There's no movies or anything so it's very limited as to what clients can do here," she said.

The future of Toombul hinges on the intentions of Centro, rumoured to be on the verge of selling $1 billion of its Australian assets over the next month.

It has reportedly received expressions of interest for four Australian shopping centres, including from TPG, the US private equity group which bought Myer for $1.4 billion two years ago.

Centro Queensland did not return calls.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
I go to Toombul occasionally as I work at the airport, and sometimes stop there for the bank and shops on the way home. The bottom floor still seems OK, though Toombul music closing shows the loss of what was an iconic store. The Coles and butchers, Lenards, greengrocers, etc still seem as busy as ever.

I never realy saw many movies there, I don't like suburban multiplexes, not when you have the choice in Brisbane to see movies through the Cineplex cinemas (Hawthorne, Balmoral, Southbank and Victoria Point). Much, much better value (adults daytime and Tuesdays $6.50, night and weekends $8.50, plus the drinks, popcorn, choc tops are priced fairly as well).

I did occasionally buy Chinese food at the foodcourt, terrible but quick, all you can physically fit on one plate for $8.95 type of thing.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Sad to hear about Toombul Music - that was a great music store. I hope they've relocated and not closed down altogether. As for Toombul overall, it's been a shitty centre for many years now - and sounds like it's gotten much worse since I last visited about 5 years ago.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Best shopping centre in Brisbane would have to be Indooroopilly followed by Carindale. Worst Galaxy at Cannon Hill, or some western place.

·
WARREN
7,904 Posts
Indooroopilly isn't too bad.

Chermside seemed blah.

They should put a railway station adjacent to Toombul on teh Airtrain line so it's possible to stop at Sizzler on teh way to the airport.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although not on the airport line, Toombul has its own station located just across from the complex on Sandgate road. Just change trains at Eagle Junction.

Sizzler is the reason for my visits to Toombul. I love have my swiss chicken and the all you can eat salad bar with nice ice creams :D There's also drive thru maccas which you dont see in many major shopping centres at all.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
followed by Carindale.
FYI, Myer Carindale is one of, if not the highest revenue raising Myer store in the country, definately in QLD. Due for refurb to, probably when the whole centre gets its make over - not sure on details, but apparently adding another floor and extending it out to the library.

Worst Galaxy at Cannon Hill.
Save city, LOL...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Twelve months ago I posted about the decline of Centro Toombul and was lambasted by other forumers who said the centre was flourishing and never been busier and I was talking unsubstantiated rubbish. I wonder if they still feel that way. The centre has been on the decline for a while now which is a shame but I still shop at the Get Fresh section of the centre, there is a real good deli there as well as the chinese restaurant out the front.

·
Regular User
970 Posts
Here is the lay of the land......

In Brisbane we have only 5 big Centers. Three are owned by Westfiled, the fourth was sold by Westfield to CFS in 2000. One is owned by QIC.
  • Center --------------- No. of Shops ----- GLA ------- Carparks
  • Westfield Chermside --------- 392----- 123,639m2------6,200
  • Westfield Carindale ---------- 297----- 116,767m2------5,400
  • Logan HyperDome ----------- 252----- 104,481m2------ 4,200
  • Westfield Garden City -------- 312----- 102,331m2------4,275
  • Indooroopilly Shopping Centre -260 ---- 84,516m2-------3,900
The smaller ones are all under 50,000m2. They include Toowong, Toombul, Stathpine, NorthLakes, Capalaba, Sunnybank.
and the Gold Coast;

Center --------------- No. of Shops --- GLA ------- Carparks
Robina Town Centre ------ 236 ------ 99,640m2 ------ 5,924
Pacific Fair --------------- 420 ----- 145,000m2 ----- 6,800

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
So, if they pull off the Carindale refurb and extension, that would make it probably the largest out of all those listed. And I didn't realise Pac fair was so big, never been there. Does Orion fit under ipswich?

·
Regular User
970 Posts
Orion is in Sprinfield, Ipswich.

Orion (Stg1) --------- 110 ----- 32,358m2 ------- ? Carparks

Mirvac has preliminary approval to expand the centre by a further 115,000m2 in later stages to make it a Super Regional Centre.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Toombul's demise is really tragic. I've lived in the inner North all my life, and Toombul was my shopping centre of choice, and I worked at KFC throughout highschool and unit (1998 - 2005). When i began at KFC the centre was really at it's peak, but everyone knew that Westfield was going to transform Chermside and for unknown reasons ignore Toombul, even though Toombul has location on it's side.

Inthe early days of Centro's ownership, signs were good. The revamped front area took off well, but like a light switch the maintenance and work all stopped, and even the coffee shops and the bar at the front (remember the Mark? Was brilliant) shut up shop withiin 18 months.

You get the impression that Centro are just waiting for a miracle as they seem determined to hold onto what's left of Toombul as it's quite clear that if someone comes in and does a Chermside then they'll make an absolute killing.

I still shop at Coles Toombul and DJs there for loyalty, and remember how it once was, which was easily the best shopping centre in Brisbane in the 90s.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Toombul has potential, esp cause it has a train station. There were rumours a few years ago of a nice high rise hotel being added over the top of it - due to its close proximity to the airport. But i think that died before it really started.

i still go to the coles there sometimes as it is less busy than Chermside coles. Only prob is that the aisle are also narrower so it takes longer to navigate past old people and aisle hogs.

And the fresh food section of shops is actually quite ok. It just needs something else to draw people there as chermside has stolen all the business

·
Maglev Believer
2,259 Posts
Indooroopilly being in the bigger centre I would assume would be considerably busier then Toowong. Personally I would go for the Toowong store. The have carpet on the floor at Toowong.....

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Toombul has potential, esp cause it has a train station. There were rumours a few years ago of a nice high rise hotel being added over the top of it - due to its close proximity to the airport. But i think that died before it really started.

i still go to the coles there sometimes as it is less busy than Chermside coles. Only prob is that the aisle are also narrower so it takes longer to navigate past old people and aisle hogs.

And the fresh food section of shops is actually quite ok. It just needs something else to draw people there as chermside has stolen all the business
You also have the midrise developments being built around the station as well - where will the locals be able to go if Toombul is left to close?

·
Maglev Believer
2,259 Posts
You also have the midrise developments being built around the station as well - where will the locals be able to go if Toombul is left to close?
For just a plain old supermarket then about 500m up the road to the brand new Woolworths up in Nundah.

·
baby whinger
1,965 Posts
Indooroopilly being in the bigger centre I would assume would be considerably busier then Toowong. Personally I would go for the Toowong store. The have carpet on the floor at Toowong.....
Toowong is a shitheap. I work in one of the low-rise office blocks which adjoins the complex (we back onto the QR commuter carpark) and as a daily user of this centre its crap. Its literally an overblown Transit Centre with a second rate David Jones, supermarket and an empty K-Mart attached.

Indooroopilly is a shopping centre, Toowong Village is a backwater.

·
D grade celebrity
1,194 Posts
^^ The problem with Toowong is the centre owner. Just look at his other centres: Brookside and Sunnybank. All 3 need make overs...

Eventually David Jones will move to an expanded Indooroopilly.
I'd like to see the the centre revamped focusing more on a cafe scene, removing the faded walls and opening the place up. Oh well I'll keep on dreaming...

1 - 20 of 2143 Posts