SkyscraperCity banner

2101 - 2120 of 2143 Posts

·
metroman
1,834 Posts
Took advantage of the free train travel on Monday to head to the Sunshine Coast. Sunshine Plaza gets my vote for being the most unique centre I have seen, especially with the way they take advantage of the river/creek running through it.

Also made it to Kawana Shoppingworld (the only other centre up that way of any meaningful size as far as I can tell)

On the negative side, I got home around 8-9pm that night only to find a backhoe had taken out my internet as part of digging a new storm water drain. Telstra then took until today to actually fix it (mostly I am annoyed that someone somewhere screwed up in the communications and didn't pass things on so that affected customers could be notified that "hey, your phone is likely to go down as part of the drainage upgrade", its not like the guys with the backhoe didn't know they were going to be digging right through where the phone wires went long before they actually started digging)
What were your impressions of Kawana and how could it be improved?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was at Indooroopilly today and it looks like work has begun relocating stores from the old dead mall section of level three to commence the mini major refurb.

To begin Kathmandu will relocate to Factorie's old location on level 3, The sushi store will relocate near the food court, the Nail store will relocate down to level two near Myer. With Bose, Mr Simple as well as the other pop up stores around DJ's on level three closing soon, I think we will see that dying half of the mall fill up again with more stores from the other section.

I have also seen advertising on hoarding that a link mall will be created between DJ's and the food court on level 3, opening in the middle of this year. It will also include new food court tenancies and possibly hinting a food court refurb.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Stores still left in the section at Indooroopilly that need to move or close include Just Jeans, City Beach, Jay Jays, Connor, Bras N' Things, Nike, Skate Connection, Famous Footwear and Panorama Cafe.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
What were your impressions of Kawana and how could it be improved?
I can't really suggest too much, it seems to be a good centre for its size.

As for Indooropilly, my opinion is that its worse than the other 3 big centres (Chermside, Carindale, Garden City). Maybe if Westfield hadn't sold it back in the day it wouldn't be so bad... :)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I can't really suggest too much, it seems to be a good centre for its size.

As for Indooropilly, my opinion is that its worse than the other 3 big centres (Chermside, Carindale, Garden City). Maybe if Westfield hadn't sold it back in the day it wouldn't be so bad... :)
Indooroopilly has improved tremendously since the refurb and store relocations. The Food court is a bit lack lustre compared to the offerings at Garden City and Chermside. But apparently it's getting addressed.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Be good if Indooropilly got more food outlets I actually like and would buy from like a Greek/Yiros place (ala the Zeus at Chermside) or a Nando's or some other good stuff.
Right now the only place at Indooropilly I would buy food from is KFC or Subway.

But knowing the way shopping centres go, I expect to see more overpriced chain coffee shops and more overpriced crap chain sushi joints (why shopping centres have so many sushi joints these days I will never understand)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Kaufland have ditched their expansion plans into Australia. Any ideas when Chermside will expand again.
There should be further activity once the ATO moves into their new premises in the CBD. Most likely the two mid rise towers will be demolished and redeveloped.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Commercialrealestate.com.au---> Lendlease to sell $850m shopping centre stake in Westfield Carindale

Lendlease to sell $850m shopping centre asset
australian-financial-review
INGRID FUARY-WAGNER JAN 23, 2020

Lendlease’s investment arm will recoup as much as $850 million from the sale of one of its largest shopping centre assets, taking it a step closer to satisfying as much as $2 billion in redemption requests from its unlisted fund as some investors weigh up their exposure to the retail sector.

The Lendlease-managed Australian Prime Property Fund (APPF) Retail appointed agents this week to sell its 50 per cent stake of Brisbane’s Westfield Carindale, which the fund co-owns with the Scentre Group-managed Carindale Property Trust.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Wynnum Plaza is getting an impressive redevelopment. DA is up at A005379691. Shayer properties too.

The proposed development involves the redevelopment of Wynnum Plaza to improve and diversify the services and offerings and create a distinct social, recreation and lifestyle hub. The redevelopment will comprise a mix of uses including new retail, as well as multiple dwellings (apartments) and a theatre (cinema). The proposal will be delivered in stages to allow the shopping centre to remain operational throughout construction.

The existing bus routes through the centre will be maintained, although the existing bus stop will be relocated to provide a more direct route through the site and reduce pedestrian/vehicular conflict and enhance pedestrian connectivity. Existing vehicle and service access to the centre will be retained.

The proposed development includes the following:

• The new retail precincts will result in a total increase in GFA by 12,795m2 GFA, of which 9,108m2 of the GFA increase is attributed to retail uses, 3,376m2 GFA relates to entertainment and centre management and the remaining (i.e. 311m2 GFA) is associated with end-of-trip facilities.
• The existing major retailers at the northern portion of the site (i.e. Woolworths, Coles and Kmart) are retained, along with various large format retail at the south of the site.
• A total of eight (8) multiple dwelling buildings are proposed, comprising a total of 184 units. The residential units are located above podium level and are accessed via lobbies located at ground level public space and within the various car parking basements.
• The proposed development involves reconfiguration of existing tenancies. Specifically, the existing Wynnum Tavern is proposed to relocate to the new retail precinct at the north-west, with direct frontage to Wynnum Road. The existing Dan Murphy’s is proposed to be relocated to the central precinct.
• The proposed development incorporates landscaping and greenery throughout the development to provide a high-quality outcome and soften the visual impact of the built form from the streetscape.
• Part of Level 4 of the new central precinct is used for plant equipment. The plant is contained within a screened enclosure to minimise visual and nose impacts.
• End-of-trips facilities is provided within basement level 2 of north-western precinct. Car parking provided on the site will be a mix of basement, on grade and multi deck parking to cater to the increase in density on the site.
• Various communal outdoor terrace areas are provided at the ground level and the rooftop to support activation of Wynnum Plaza and support the passive recreational needs of workers and residents.
• The delivery of the proposed development will occur over six (6) stages.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Indooroopilly has improved tremendously since the refurb and store relocations. The Food court is a bit lack lustre compared to the offerings at Garden City and Chermside. But apparently it's getting addressed.
Be good if Indooropilly got more food outlets I actually like and would buy from like a Greek/Yiros place (ala the Zeus at Chermside) or a Nando's or some other good stuff.
Right now the only place at Indooropilly I would buy food from is KFC or Subway.

But knowing the way shopping centres go, I expect to see more overpriced chain coffee shops and more overpriced crap chain sushi joints (why shopping centres have so many sushi joints these days I will never understand)
It will be a shame to lose Minipilly. Hopefully they can find a spot for a similar area. It is a big draw for young families
We're cooking up a new look for the food court! You may have noticed access to the food court toilets is closed, but don't fret! Just follow the green line on the floor and you'll be there in a jiffy!
Exciting things are coming.... @Indooroopilly--->https://www.facebook.com/191429304223968/posts/2986625451370992/?substory_index=0

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Wynnum Plaza is getting an impressive redevelopment. DA is up at A005379691. Shayer properties too.

The proposed development involves the redevelopment of Wynnum Plaza to improve and diversify the services and offerings and create a distinct social, recreation and lifestyle hub. The redevelopment will comprise a mix of uses including new retail, as well as multiple dwellings (apartments) and a theatre (cinema). The proposal will be delivered in stages to allow the shopping centre to remain operational throughout construction.

The existing bus routes through the centre will be maintained, although the existing bus stop will be relocated to provide a more direct route through the site and reduce pedestrian/vehicular conflict and enhance pedestrian connectivity. Existing vehicle and service access to the centre will be retained.

The proposed development includes the following:

• The new retail precincts will result in a total increase in GFA by 12,795m2 GFA, of which 9,108m2 of the GFA increase is attributed to retail uses, 3,376m2 GFA relates to entertainment and centre management and the remaining (i.e. 311m2 GFA) is associated with end-of-trip facilities.
• The existing major retailers at the northern portion of the site (i.e. Woolworths, Coles and Kmart) are retained, along with various large format retail at the south of the site.
• A total of eight (8) multiple dwelling buildings are proposed, comprising a total of 184 units. The residential units are located above podium level and are accessed via lobbies located at ground level public space and within the various car parking basements.
• The proposed development involves reconfiguration of existing tenancies. Specifically, the existing Wynnum Tavern is proposed to relocate to the new retail precinct at the north-west, with direct frontage to Wynnum Road. The existing Dan Murphy’s is proposed to be relocated to the central precinct.
• The proposed development incorporates landscaping and greenery throughout the development to provide a high-quality outcome and soften the visual impact of the built form from the streetscape.
• Part of Level 4 of the new central precinct is used for plant equipment. The plant is contained within a screened enclosure to minimise visual and nose impacts.
• End-of-trips facilities is provided within basement level 2 of north-western precinct. Car parking provided on the site will be a mix of basement, on grade and multi deck parking to cater to the increase in density on the site.
• Various communal outdoor terrace areas are provided at the ground level and the rooftop to support activation of Wynnum Plaza and support the passive recreational needs of workers and residents.
• The delivery of the proposed development will occur over six (6) stages.
Couriermal.com.au---> Wynnum Plaza in store for major redevelopment

Brayden Heslehurst, Wynnum Herald
Subscriber only

February 3, 2020 11:50am

Wynnum Plaza in store for major redevelopment

BRISBANE’S bayside could receive one of its biggest facelifts ever after an application was submitted for a major multimillion-dollar redevelopment for Wynnum Plaza.

Shayher Properties submitted the application to the Brisbane City Council on January 28 with the redevelopment of Wynnum Plaza to include cinemas, more retail space and eight apartment buildings.

The project, if approved, will be the first major works on the centre since 2006 and the biggest at the venue since it opened in November 1980.

Shayher Properties, which own the Wynnum Plaza, is a private Taiwanese group which is also responsible for the $1 billion mixed-use Brisbane Quarter development, which included the opening of the W Hotel – the first five-star to open in Brisbane’s CBD in 20 years.

Wynnum Retail Management general manager Michael Belfield confirmed this week that an application for the redevelopment of Wynnum Plaza has been lodged.

“Incorporating additional retail to compliment its existing offering and introducing new retail and development opportunities,” he said.

“Further information will be available in the second half of 2020.”

The proposal, which includes 187 units, is the latest in what has been a residential development rush on the bayside in the past three years and comes after a $37 million townhouse community project was approved for the vacant land next to Wynnum Plaza last year.

If Wynnum Plaza’s redevelopment goes ahead, the area will also have two cinemas within 10km of each other, with works set to be completed on another project from Berrima Develop Pty Ltd in November.

Councillor for Wynnum Manly (ALP) Peter Cumming said it was a compliment to how the area was regarded by the development community that a group like Shayher Properties would be prepared to invest here.

“Wynnum is looking better for all the money being invested in Wynnum Central and now it appears Wynnum Plaza could be about to take off,” he said.

Cr Cumming said he was stunned by the news cinemas would be built at the Plaza.

“After waiting for decades since the last cinema closed, two new cinemas within 12 months is an amazing situation,” he said.

“I think that having two cinemas within such close distance to each other would make the situation very competitive and hopefully keep entry prices down.

Pellicano operations manager Michael Kent, who is behind the Arbor Park townhouse project adjacent to the Wynnum Plaza, said the development would be fantastic for the community.

“The inclusion of apartments highlights the changing demographic and offers an alternative for first home buyers and downsizers wanting to have access to retail,” he said.

“Arbor Park is ideally positioned to benefit from the upgraded amenity offering boutique townhomes and we are looking forward to commencing construction this month.”

Wynnum Plaza redevelopment artist impression. Picture: Zenx Architects/PD Online
Wynnum Plaza redevelopment artist impression. Picture: Zenx Architects/PD Online
The plans have also excited current retailers at the Plaza, including Jill Zischke from Wynnum Plaza Florists who has been at the location for more than 15 years.

“I think it’s very exciting for the Plaza and positive for the area,” she said.

“I believe it will make the place a bit more of a destination for people to come here and do their shopping.

“I have been here since 2004 so I think it’s a great time for this to happen.”

Cr Cumming said he urged local residents to let him know whether they supported the idea of a bigger Wynnum Plaza and what shops and other attractions they would like to see there.

If approved, the development is reportedly expected to be finished in late 2024 or 2025.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
They are cracking on with the works at the Hyperdome. All the shops up that end have moved or closed except Big W and there are hoardings gong up everywhere.

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
Toombul yesterday. Taken at different times.

Any idea how long that McDonalds has been in that location? The roof and awning shape really reminds me of the old style, standalone McDonalds outlets from circa late 1980s/early 1990s (well, my local Maccas from that time at least).

·
Registered
31 Posts
^^
Any idea how long that McDonalds has been in that location? The roof and awning shape really reminds me of the old style, standalone McDonalds outlets from circa late 1980s/early 1990s (well, my local Maccas from that time at least).
Not to sure of the year, but i can remember going there in the early 90s

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
They are cracking on with the works at the Hyperdome. All the shops up that end have moved or closed except Big W and there are hoardings gong up everywhere.
There's additional work happening on the building's exterior, with the arch on the northern end of the centre having been removed the other week.

Here are some photos posted by the Hyperdome to their Facebook of the removal.

This is to facilitate the new arched window that will go in its place.

They also posted what I believe is a new render of the entryway that will replace the old fire exit entry behind Big W. This is the other major external additions, and one that is long time coming, as it services the "forgotten carpark" tucked up the back with no access.

2101 - 2120 of 2143 Posts