SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Shoreline Development News/Pictures

31867 Views 140 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  nwctybldr
So I thought I would try to post pictures of Shoreline for the first time, starting with the only really significant project going on right now. This is the Malmo Apartments, slated to be open this summer. It's kitty corner to the future Aurora Square.

http://i.imgur.com/IAyiZfn.jpg

There isn't too much activity here in Shoreline right now, so I might do these updates once and a while. Thanks for looking!
See less See more
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 141 Posts
Looking good for a big redevelopment!
MDG buys old Shoreline shopping center for $12M
By BRIAN MILLER
Real Estate Editor
The Shops at Richmond Village, at 600 N.W. Richmond Beach Road in Shoreline, has sold for $12.2 million, according to King County records. The buyer was Richmond Village Retail LLC, which is associated with Madison Development Group of Issaquah. Public records indicate a loan from Washington Trust Bank.

New owner MDG did apply recently for a lot line adjustment (there are two parcels with about 5.3 acres), but no new building plans have been filed. The company, led by Tom Lee and Jim Gallaugher, does both retail and mixed-use development.

The seller was M.L. Davies Investment Co., which had owned the property for decades — and may have been the original developer. Brokers were not announced. The deal was worth about $281 per square foot.

Developed in 1965, with small later additions, the three-building complex has about 43,418 square feet. Most of the property is parking. QFC is the anchor tenant; and there's also a Swedish medical clinic, among other smaller tenants.

Meanwhile, in Kirkland's Rose Hill neighborhood, MDG and MG2 are planning to totally redevelop an old 7-acre shopping center with about 870 units over new retail/commercial space. MDG acquired that property last December for $40 million.

And early this year, MDG completed the 108-unit Luna, with a new PCC Community Market, in West Seattle.
See less See more
Katerra opens Shoreline apartments with CLT floor and ceiling assemblies
By JOURNAL STAFF

Photos by Aaron Locke [enlarge]
The Postmark sits on a former post office site in Shoreline.

[enlarge]

Mass timber was used throughout the project, including the freestanding courtyard clubhouse between the two residential buildings.

Katerra last fall opened its 243-unit Shoreline apartment project called The Postmark. The name apparently was inspired by the city's old post office that previously occupied the site at 17233 15th Ave. N.E.

A Katerra news release says the project is one of the first developments in the country to use cross-laminated timber for floor and ceiling assemblies. Katerra used 3D modeling and virtual design and construction to create the building prototype, which called for making components in a factory. It also came up with fire-resistant solutions to maintain the building's structural integrity, such as using Hilti fire protection products to seal penetrations and joints between floors and walls.

“We didn't want to just come up with a solution that was going to work for one project, this is changing the industry at a nationwide level, when this body of testing and evidence could come into place for nationwide approval on projects,” said Hans-Erik Blomgren, director of testing and certification for structural products at Katerra, in a YouTube video.

The project consists of two five-story buildings above a two level below-grade parking structure. Permit applications submitted in 2017 to the city indicated 267 parking stalls in the garage.

Postmark's website lists studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments for lease at monthly rates from $1,480 for studios to $3,005 for two-bedroom units. Rates for a three-bedroom layout of 1,203 square feet were not listed. Available studios range from 455 to 490 square feet, single bedrooms are 562-720 square feet, and two bedrooms are 840-1,050 square feet. Units have exposed wood ceilings and beams, thanks to the mass timber construction.

Amenities include a courtyard clubhouse, lobby lounge with fireplace and big screen TV, fitness center and yoga studio, game room with billiards, outdoor terrace with ping pong and barbecues, media lounge, community kitchen, espresso bar and bike parking.

Katerra built the project on schedule and also provided construction management, architecture and engineering services. The Wolff Co. was the developer.
See less See more
Reactions: 4
Yeah, what's the deal with that? I haven't seen/heard anything about that in years. Didn't they adopt the plan for it like 5 years ago?
Reactions: 2
I think the city has been trying to get more attention for a few years but the market hasn't been that interested until the last couple years. With light rail feeling very real and Seattle's insane land prices and slow entitlement process I think it has finally gotten some traction.
Shoreline is absolutely embarrassing Seattle with TOD around the Lynnwood extension. Seattle electeds and staff should be ashamed. Honestly, many of them should probably be out of work with a swing and a miss as big as this.
On the Block: With $20M land buy, Shea plants the first TOD flag near Shoreline South station
Also, Shoreline is building a bike/ped bridge over I5 to connect to the new station. Very cool! 148th Street Non-Motorized Bridge | City of Shoreline
See less See more
Reactions: 5
Been to Roosevelt or the U-District or Capitol Hill recently?
That's not really a fair comparison. All of those neighborhoods were already urban centers and they would have received lots of development pressure regardless of light rail (see Ballard or Greenwood, for example). Shoreline is literally facilitating dense multifamily redevelopment of single family tract houses from the 1960s and tying them to the station with a bridge. That's much more transformative.
See less See more
The point I was making is that right now Shoreline is doing more to facilitate development around its light rail stations than Seattle is. I don't see the city of Seattle rezoning vast swaths of single family houses to NC-75 zoning.
Go use Reddit if you want to be snarky a**hole.
I'm all for disagreement, I just want substantive argument about why you think I'm wrong.
Yeah, Roosevelt has seen a lot of change. However, Roosevelt 1) already had many mixed-use buildings; 2) already had lots of 4-5 story buildings (or more); 3) already had lots of multifamily buildings. Again, comparing the two circumstances based on "which is more transformative" going to 85' tall denser buildings is great, but it's not nearly as transformative as what's happening with the blocks surrounding the future 145th in Shoreline.
See less See more
BoulderGrad, you will notice from your own quoted text, my original comment was about the LYNNWOOD EXTENSION. You're the one who exploded this out assuming it was a commentary about the whole city, which it wasn't. Seattle is just now starting a process to think about how to rezone around the 130th and 145th stations. Shoreline embarked on that activity years ago when the final alignment was determined.
Was my original comment about city of Seattle officials being ashamed and calling for them to lose their jobs too strong? Sure. But I also generally expect planning departments from large cities like Seattle to be proactive about land use planning around fixed transit infrastructure, and with regard to the Lynnwood extension, they haven't been.
I'm not going to make any more posts on this topic.
See less See more
This is not in itself a unique project but it's interesting to see the likes of Mill Creek moving out of the city. It's strange times in commercial real estate in Seattle proper.
Unfortunately, sounds like this won't be completed until 2026, but the wheels are in motion.
Note quite new but noteworthy nonetheless: "The mixed-use development, spanning nearly 17 acres, could add around 1,400 apartments, 56,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and commercial space, plus various public plazas and amenities"
This is separate and in addition to this project: Shea Shoreline | The Rush Companies | Puget Sound Region Washington which is under construction. The article mentions an Intracorp project as well, with 241 units. That's over 1,000 new homes across the freeway from the light rail. You love to see it.
See less See more
Technically still in Seattle but on the border with Shoreline so putting it here.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 141 Posts