SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Shoreline Development News/Pictures

31083 Views 139 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  Ajohns90
So I thought I would try to post pictures of Shoreline for the first time, starting with the only really significant project going on right now. This is the Malmo Apartments, slated to be open this summer. It's kitty corner to the future Aurora Square.

http://i.imgur.com/IAyiZfn.jpg

There isn't too much activity here in Shoreline right now, so I might do these updates once and a while. Thanks for looking!
Reactions: Mpatte
41 - 60 of 140 Posts
No pictures but demolition just finished on the USPS building on the SE corner of NE 175th and 15th Ave NE
Got an info pamphlet from the developer of the Shoreline Sears, here's some crappy quality pictures of the initial site plan:

20180321_132715 by on Flickr

20180321_132745 on Flickr
Reactions: 12th man
Also, here are some pictures of the 175th Post Office site, complete with crane stub!

20180324_182338 on Flickr

20180324_182325 by on Flickr
I'm not too familiar with the long term vision for "North City" (this section of 15th Ave). It would be great if they could have ground floor retail with some mixed use buildings lining 15th Ave along this stretch to give it a more urban village feel. Is anything like this currently planned along the stretch?
The flyer showing big parking lots is amusing as it calls the redevelopment an "eco-district".
Most of North City has been upzoned, not quite sure off the top of my head if 15th is completely rezoned from 165th to 180th (The actual neighborhood strip), but I do know that large portions of the area west of 15th and east of I-5 to the light rail station between about 175th to 195th are upzoned multi family (some parts are MU75 I believe).

In regards to the Sears redevelopment parking, I definitely see those parking lots redeveloped similar to the U-Village transformation down the road, I'm just glad that something at all is being done to this area!

Edit- For those who aren't aware, the Sears redevelopment is only on the Sears lot, so all of the brown buildings on the diagram I posted above (Central Market, Salvation Army, Marshall's, etc.) are not parcels owned by the developer. I'd suspect the northern portion with Marshall's, Subway, Pier 1 imports, etc is going to be next in line. Central Market brings the lion's share of traffic there, and since they recently remodelled, as well as Salvation Army recently moving in, I don't really see the south portion changing much in the near future, except possibly the Super China buffet/US Bank parcel.
I'm not too familiar with the long term vision for "North City" (this section of 15th Ave). It would be great if they could have ground floor retail with some mixed use buildings lining 15th Ave along this stretch to give it a more urban village feel. Is anything like this currently planned along the stretch?
Reactions: araman0
Two TODs totalling more than 400 units:

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12109727.html
Re: project above at 192nd and 99:
It's interesting the Seattle City Light seems to own the right-of-way between highway 99 and the Interurban trail. Map should show area:
http://gismaps.kingcounty.gov/parce...ax=-13617964.580364194&ymax=6068457.888802141

I wonder if the Interurban trail would ever be more directly routed under these power lines instead of jog to east side of nursery. Does Sky Nursery and Dunn Lumber pay City Light rent for the parking lot?
Just a little summer update from my neck of the woods:

They are building a six story dorm at SCC, which brings Shoreline's crane count up to 2!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/M6JNnU]20180716_131455 on Flickr

Also, I've been quite busy lately (I'll get to that in a sec), but here are some other developments around Shoreline that I've seen.

18557 Firlands Way N - 4+1 Mixed-use building has topped out
17212 Aurora Ave N - Paceline Apts, a 6+1 MU is nearing completion
2322 N 185th St(ish) - 5 or 6 unit townhome project on one lot nearing completion
18501 Densmore Ave N - 6 unit townhome on two former SFH lots completed and sold
SE corner of 185th + 10th Ave NE - 6 townhome project underway w/ yellow things!
1221 NE 180th St (Arabella 2) - Currently at 3rd floor of 6 (5+1)
SW corner of NE 175th and 15th (former PO) - Currently reaching 15th Ave NE surface

The reason I've been quite busy is because I recently passed my state exam and am now a licensed real estate broker! I'm working all around the city but since I know Shoreline so well, I've been focusing on assemblances for developments at the two light rail subareas for the past month and a half. I know this thread doesn't get much traffic so I'll post something similar in the coffee shop but now that I'm in this industry I'd love to meet you guys. I can't really convey how much this forum has helped me find my passions and interest, as well as teaching me so, so much. I found this page in October 2013 as a junior in high school, after a curious google search about what buildings were going up around Seattle, and in the nearly 5 years since you guys have changed my life with your pictures, articles, urban dev/architecture/transit debates, and general knowledge dropping. I don't post here much but I certainly read everything on here and I just want to say thank you to all. I was hoping to meet you all at the F5 tower tour, but in case that doesn't happen it would be very cool to have a summer meetup down the road.
Alright I had some time to kill the other day so here are some pictures in Shoreline:

Behind Ballinger Village at 205th and 19th Ave NE:
20180720_183034_HDR on Flickr

Ballinger Way and 19th Ave NE, kinda hidden behind an office building:
20180720_183549_HDR on Flickr

20180720_183530_HDR on Flickr

Arabella 2 at 180th and 14th Ave NE:
20180720_183907_HDR on Flickr

Polaris Apartments completed a year ago (175th and 15th Ave NE):
20180720_184152_HDR on Flickr

Across the street at the former post office:
20180720_184225 on Flickr

185th and 10th Ave NE (6 townhomes):
20180720_184602_HDR on Flickr

Low income housing that Ronald United Methodist Church developed in their former parking lot, 179th and Linden Ave N:
20180720_195924_HDR on Flickr

Recently completed Paceline Apts at 175th and Aurora:
20180720_200120_HDR on Flickr

180th and Midvale Ave N, no idea what this is:
20180720_200606 on Flickr

188th and Firlands Ave N:
20180720_201105_HDR on Flickr

20180720_201122_HDR on Flickr

20180720_201145_HDR on Flickr

PS: That crane on Arabella is new, which means the crane count in Shoreline is at 3 now! Definitely a record that will hopefully be broken within the decade.
Good updates!

17962 Midvale description from DJC: The SeaWest website describes the seven-story Vail project as potentially having 163 apartments, including live/work units, plus retail space.
Reactions: northendMK
This article includes new rendering videos of the Aurora Plaza (Sears) redevelopment:

https://www.shorelineareanews.com/2018/08/construction-to-begin-next-year-on.html
Taken a few days ago - 180th in between 12th and 15th (Arabella 2)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/29Lw76E]2018-09-07_05-12-20 on Flickr
From todays DJC.

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12114558.html

September 13, 2018

On the Block: Big changes are in store for old Sears site: MGP plans housing, retail at Shoreline Place

Long before the Sears finally died, the city of Shoreline had big dreams of revitalizing the moribund Aurora Square shopping center.

That roughly 70-acre trapezoid had been anchored since 1967 by the Sears at 15711 Aurora Ave. N. But the recession, rise of Amazon and retail apocalypse all led the city toward an optimistic mixed-use redevelopment vision: a new urban village, also to be called Aurora Square.

The plan survives, but the name is now dead.

Shoreline's economic development manager, Nathan Daum, says the city will follow MGP's lead in the change of branding. “It's Shoreline Place,” he says. “It's significant. They're a major player in the industry.”

The housing and about 90,000 square feet of retail, commercial and restaurant space will be arranged around a new public park, dubbed Town Green.

GGLO is designing the four-phase project, with about 1,300 housing units, 90,000 square feet of commercial space and a new public park, Town Green.

Just across the street from MGP’s site, Trammell Crow Residential is planning the 330-unit, six-story Alexan Shoreline. The city issued a construction permit last week.
Two things I like about this is it gives Shoreline a sense of place. Right now I couldn’t really tell you when I entered or left Shoreline, it’s always been up there somewhere. Another thing I like is the structures opening up immediately onto the park. It would make sidewalk cafes so enjoyable without looking at a row of parked cars, street, then park. I think that Bellevue downtown park would be able to do this in their eastern border, but hasn’t seemed to pull it off yet.
To be fair, if you're going north on Aurora, you can definitely notice when Seattle turns into Shoreline. We've done a very good job making it more boulevard-ey with landscaping and a center tree line
I'd really like to see the two Interurban Trail skybridges on the east side of this project connected. They were a great improvement years ago when built but there's a fairly convoluted route to get across the two bridges. It doesn't need to be a completely elevated bridge quite as high as the current bridges but maybe an ADA compliant slope down and back up. It would be party on foam or dirt fill. It would help trail users avoid blind corners and extra navigation time.
Shoreline's one of the ugliest cities in the northend with no defined limits to the average passerby. It's pretty much a long stretch of 99 and that's a shame. The city has no real downtown core, which is also a shame. They are trying, but spreading development all over the place and I don't think Shoreline actually knows what they are doing. They are just approving denser development everywhere with no actual core being built.

As someone who has been in Shoreline for 20 plus years, it's dis-heartening to a degree. Not to mention the city's population hasn't really been growing all that much. It even shrunk a few years back. I will say many of the added tree's are nice, but it's just a mess going through 99 in general and trying to get in and our of the many ugly strip malls.

I do hope that Sears site is successful and if that is their new downtown, I hope it thrives. I always thought the city's "downtown" was by the city hall and that so-called park.
White crane at the site mentioned in post #51, bringing Shoreline's crane count to four!

Also, I do agree that Shoreline doesn't really have a defined center like Edmonds, Kenmore, Bothell, Woodinville, etc. But our city government has definitely recognized our urban issues and has laid out a good path for our city going into the future. You'll definitely start seeing a construction boom around the two light rail areas, as well as along Aurora (which can have a height limit of up to 140ft on conditional approval in both the station areas and along Aurora). We'll get there eventually!
Alright, another update from Shoreline.

Former post office on 175th and 15th Ave NE:
20181115_142043_HDR on Flickr

Arabella 2 (180th and 12th):
20181115_141930_HDR on Flickr

Linden/Firlands:
20181115_145030_HDR on Flickr

Here are some smaller infill projects replacing SFHs (there are a couple more around the city but I didn't really get to those)

155th and 5th Ave NE
20181115_142936_HDR on Flickr
20181115_142952_HDR on Flickr

Down the street on 2nd Ave NE:
20181115_143145_HDR on Flickr

180th and 10th Ave NE:
20181115_144349_HDR on Flickr

Bonus pic: It's hard to tell but Sound Transit has demolished all of the eminent domain buildings where the 185th station will go and the site has been fenced off. Signs say 2019 construction start
20181115_144510_HDR on Flickr
41 - 60 of 140 Posts