Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you who use Midway Airport more than O'hare, should a highway be built to link this medium-yet busy airport to the expressways.

Cicero Ave. goes through it and Eissenhower Expwy runs just 3 miles north of this airport. People need to get there faster and they need an expressway. With all of that traffic in Chicago, Cicero is to narrow.

·
Registered
395 Posts
No, they're fine. I take the "el" whenever I go there anyway. Before that, I grew up about 20 miles south of there I never noticed that traffic was too bad when my dad drove us there.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I-55 is only 1/2 a mile to the north of Midway... the last thing Garfield Ridge need is an expressway spur from I-55 ripping through the neighborhood and over the vital and massive Archer Avenue retail thoroufare to link up with Midway. The Orange Line, the huge bus terminal, and Cicero Ave/I-55/Archer Ave serve Midway just fine.

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
Actually it is the Stevenson Expy. (I-55) just 3 miles north of it. Back in the late 70's or early 80's Mayor Jane Byrne floated the idea of building the Crosstown Expy. which would have either parralleled or replaced Cicero Ave. It was never built obviously, but Mayor Richard M. Daley used the federal funding that was earmarked to do the preliminary work on it to build the Orange Line of the El. A much better use of the money if you ask me. Mayor Daley recently has suggested that a scaled down 4 lane truck only version of the Crosstown Expy. be built just east of Cicero Ave. on railroad right-of-way to alleviate traffic just going through the downtown area on I-90/94.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O'hare gives birth to an expressway and travelers feel better when theres an expressway waiting for them; ready to take them home. Then again, O'hare is much bigger. Try making Cicero a little bigger with, lets say, 3 more lanes. Then, make it smaller as it gets to quieter neighborhoods.

My bad, it is I-55 not I-190. Sorry

·
Chicago's #1 Fan
2,334 Posts
Latoso said:
Actually it is the Stevenson Expy. (I-55) just 3 miles north of it. Back in the late 70's or early 80's Mayor Jane Byrne floated the idea of building the Crosstown Expy. which would have either parralleled or replaced Cicero Ave. It was never built obviously, but Mayor Richard M. Daley used the federal funding that was earmarked to do the preliminary work on it to build the Orange Line of the El. A much better use of the money if you ask me. Mayor Daley recently has suggested that a scaled down 4 lane truck only version of the Crosstown Expy. be built just east of Cicero Ave. on railroad right-of-way to alleviate traffic just going through the downtown area on I-90/94.

I was actually King Richard's father; Mayor Richard J. Daley who proposed the Crosstown Expressway. The Stevenson Expressway is about 2 miles north of the airport. I don't really think that another expressway should be built, but I do think that the CTA Green Line should be extended west along 63rd street. It presently stops at Ashland Ave. And if Metra were to link up with the airport, I do believe that would be sufficient.

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
They should not build any more expressways. They should use that money to expand the el and other mass transit.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
If you want to by pass downtown, use I-294.

I say extend the green line. Cicero AVE is good enough to be like an expressway. a Highway will kill bussiness off on archer and on cicero.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Skycraper Freak said:
For all of you who use Midway Airport more than O'hare, should a highway be built to link this medium-yet busy airport to the expressways.

Cicero Ave. goes through it and Eissenhower Expwy runs just 3 miles north of this airport. People need to get there faster and they need an expressway. With all of that traffic in Chicago, Cicero is to narrow.
We don't have express ways in Chicago.....lol. And why make it easier for cars? And the traffic on 55 is normally horrible anyway so how does making it easier to get to Midway from 55 beneficial?

Just take the Orange Line.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would say an expressway is not warranted at this time. Who knows what the situation will be like in 10 years? If Cicero turns into a parking lot between the Stevenson and Midway at all hours of the day, a change may be in order.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
i ALWAYS take the orange line when i use midway. an expressway to midway would be a terrible idea, but i'm a pro-transit/anti-car guy.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
orange lines beat I-55 as me too, I am like a transit guy too(as I dont own a car yet).

Midway is like "land locked" no where else to expand. I say we abandon that airport and move everything to GAry lol.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Skycraper Freak said:
Not everyone takes the "El"
Do you understand what makes Chicago so unique..that only a few cities in the country are our peers. It has a lot to do with our Urbanism. Cars...for the most part destroy that and what one get's when bowing to the car lovers....are all the other cities..... We are Chicago. Huge Urban and dense. We love public transportation and use it as a part of our life. I love the el. We don't need anymore tollways or expanded interstates in CHicago.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Azn: it still handles 18 million passengers a year... its a damn good reliever airport, no need to abandon it.

Skycraper Freak said:
Not everyone takes the "El"
ok? there are people in new york that drive as well. but if EVERYONE drove, it would be almost impossible for anyone to get to work. chicago is definatly heading in that direction. there is a point where you just cant add more cars. this is chicago, not des moines (sorry, i really had to take that shot :D)

·
Cynical post-collegiate
937 Posts
I actually take a taxi whenever I go to the airport. Generally I have loads of stuff and Midway's connection to rapid transit is really inconvenient for lugging 50-60 pounds of stuff. O'hare's a bit better, but I find it worth it to shell out 40-60 dollars to not pull shoulder muscles.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes, the pedestrian connection from the El station to the Terminal leaves something to be desired with the schlep through the Parking Garage. I actually did it carrying everthing i needed for 4 months in Europe (that was a different, later flight from O'hare obviously) on the Orange Line to the loop, with a couple block transfer to Ogilvie for a Metra ride to my Grandma's. That was tiring. But a Limo service would have been very pricey.

No, there is no need for an expressway (when in Rome, say as the Romans do!) to Midway. As Skycraper Freak (Misspelling?) says, no not everyone takes the El, but Cicero functions just fine, and turning it into an expressway would do terrible damage to the neighborhood.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts