• I say NO! it should stay the way it is

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I say Maybe! but right now and in the future it is highly unlikely

Votes: 3 12.5%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We all know to most south florida goes into the term "Miami" but when we search "Miami" in wikipedia we see that it says its only a city with 36 square miles and misreable 409,719<---is that right? people.
anyway when you see most if not all other major cities in the US have way larger populations.
so i say the CITY of Miami should add all cities in the county to its proper city limits...
lets say instead of Miami beach, florida for example we could have Miami beach, Miami, Florida or Kendall, Miami, Florida because i mean i think it would only be fair to have our city to go over 2 million so it can actually be consider a large city and be within the United States largest cities.
what do you guys think?

G

·
I had a thougHT once that Broward county should just split in two.Top half goes to Palm beach and bottom half to Dade lol sux for Broward it's between us.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I just beleive that all these little annexes like kendall and such should be included. No one knows kendall, aventura are separate cities. It all referred to as miami. miami beach is the same. everyone think that it is a part of the city of miami.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
All of Miami-Dade should incorporate into the City of Miami, similar to what Duval County did to become a bigger Jacksonville, which is how they can toot being larger than us, when they're nowhere near that.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
No, absolutely not. The CITY of Miami should NOT add all cities in the county to its proper city limits
Bigger government is not better.

For starters, the efficient cities would not want this to happen.
(Check out MD County Fire services attempt to take over some city services from Miami Beach).

Secondly, smaller city governments, like the City of Miami Beach, are more responsive to their taxpayers. If my sidewalk is dirty I can pick up the phone and call Public works and someone is out in a day or two to take care of business. In the off chance that calling didn't work, I send and e-mail to my commissioner, or stop by his office.
If all of Miami-Dade County serviced all of people exclusively, personal connections would be more difficult and results would be diminished.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
I think we're forgetting that people in better-off areas of the county such as the Gables, Key Biscayne, Pinecrest, Aventura, Miami Beach, etc. would have zero desire to be folded into a greater city of Miami. As Roark said, they already enjoy better services than Miami provides and can be more responsive to the immediate needs of their communities. They would have absolutely nothing to gain by being part of Miami.

Why does the city's population numbers matter, anyway? I mean, who looks at that and concludes Miami is small unless they're dense? Atlanta has the same thing. Does anybody think of that city as small because of it? And if they do---whatever. It's of no real importance.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I think we're forgetting that people in better-off areas of the county such as the Gables, Key Biscayne, Pinecrest, Aventura, Miami Beach, etc. would have zero desire to be folded into a greater city of Miami. As Roark said, they already enjoy better services than Miami provides and can be more responsive to the immediate needs of their communities. They would have absolutely nothing to gain by being part of Miami.

Why does the city's population numbers matter, anyway? I mean, who looks at that and concludes Miami is small unless they're dense? Atlanta has the same thing. Does anybody think of that city as small because of it? And if they do---whatever. It's of no real importance.
San Francisco and Boston are tiny as well, not much larger than the City of Miami (Miami is geographically the smallest major city in the US).

G

·
San Francisco and Boston are tiny as well, not much larger than the City of Miami (Miami is geographically the smallest major city in the US).
Yeah San Francisco is small...I have been there when I was visiting my family in San Jose, the city next to S.F.Surprisingly San Jose has a larger population than S.F.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Hey has a smaller city ever annexed a bigger city, like when a smaller company buys a larger company?

I think Miami should be annexed in to NBV.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
The advantage would be ,there would no longer be a duplicity of taxes(city and county),however as previously stated the well-to-do areas that were mentioned would renig.
Any advantage to eliminiating duplicity (Sending one check for $1,000 instead of sending two checks for $500 each) is negligible.
Efficient municipalities do not like this idea at all.
The City of Miami Beach has a much lower tax base than than the City of Miami, but the CMB is much more efficient, and has a lower tax rate.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
Wikipedia:
According to the Jacksonville Historical Society, the city "became the largest city in land area in the entire world", a distinction it eventually yielded to Juneau, Alaska.[11] All land in Duval County is considered part of Jacksonville except the four independent municipalities of Jacksonville Beach, Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach and Baldwin, although residents of these towns vote in city elections and are eligible for other services. Jacksonville became the second consolidated government in the state of Florida and one of ten in the nation.[11]

·
Registered
148 Posts
No, This is an inane idea. There is no actual benefit to this plan than making the city of Miami appear larger or denser on paper. This will in no way improve our urban environment and in fact would likely create an even more beareaucratic gov't. The way that Miami is layed out is no different than most major cities throughout the country where the actual city limits have a small percentage of the metro population.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts