Skyscraper City Forum banner

Should Mirabel Airport close permanently and be removed?

• Yes

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 71.4%
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In December 2006, Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced the return of more than 4,450 hectares of farmland expropriated to build Mirabel Airport. Because of this, I started to think that Mirabel Airport is nearing the end of this useful life (as a cargo-only airport) and that it may get all of its buildings demolished. Do you think Mirabel Airport should be removed to make way for farmland?

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
have you been there recently? ever?

I passed by on Thursday and there's plenty of occupied buildings there such a Bombardier manufacturing plant and cargo stuff. Bombardier should launch its new C Series line of planes and will need more space there.

Also there's an interior beach, amusment park, aquarium project starting end of this year.

so in short the answer is no.

·
Bring Constantinople back
16,632 Posts
Mirabel should be linked to Montreal Downtown by an HSR or a Transrapid and become again the main Airport of Montreal.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Mirabel was an ourage and Montrealers don't want to travel 40-50km just to get to an airport.
They should give it back to the farmers who were "asked" if they would go for the airport.

·
Banned
337 Posts
^^ Only if one of at least a half dozen on- or off-Island destinations, otherwise soley targetting immense commercial projects is troublesome for the community overall. Do you want everyone stomping in and out of here? I don't. The city keeps doing itself in by encroaching onto the high grade farming turf around the whole island, thanks to Fleuve St-Laurent I'd bet.

Meanwhile, I see the terminal becoming a cherished keepsake. Have any of you noticed how new it still looks from being underused its past three decades, which I think's pretty cool. Plus for being a hefty terminal, it's quiet, a real added bonus back when it handled dozens of flights.

I'm undecided, I cast no ballot, when maybe I should coz that whole airport project swallowed up far more land than would have ever been necessary.

·
Registered
485 Posts
well the passenger terminal may be useless, but the airfield is still useful. Its used by air cargo companies and aircraft manufacturers like Bombardier and Bell Helicopter.

Not to mention that Mirabel is useful as an emergency landing strip. And I would imagine that having cargo at mirabel leaves more room for passenger expansion at Trudeau. Also, I'm not sure, maybe Malek can say, but is Mirabel used as a regional airport for recreational and private aircraft? If it is then that is a useful public service and revenue generator.

Anyway, if it was a waste of money to build it, then it would be another huge waste of money to destroy it and return it to farmland. Besides the money needed to demolish it, the land is probably too contaminated to be farmed on right away, so quite a bit would also have to be spent to clean up the land for the farmers. And honestly, even with its few uses now, cargo airlines and maufacturors, its probably still worth a lot more revenue for the government than farms on that land ever would be. Not to mention there may not be enough space for all those companies to fit at trudeau, if mirabel was closed, they may even have or want to move somewhere else.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
The ground is probably packed down for the runways, restoring it for farming would require a lot of effort.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
"Meanwhile, I see the terminal becoming a cherished keepsake"

quote of the week.

Look, if it is useable, then use the space. Otherwise bite the bullet, bulldoze it and give the land back to the farmers. No point destroying it if it can be recycled and used.

·
Registered
687 Posts
umm, i wouldn't destroy it.... i think they can find alot of uses... like previously said, bombardier could be building mor eplans there... BUT i certainly think that Mirabel needs a quick link to montreal via rail... like the super fast trains. Anyway, no use destroying it..... let's make it something worthwhile!!!!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
All I know is that Montreal deserves a much better airport than what it currently has.

I still think the city made a mistake in consolidating everything at Dorval. True that Dorval is much closer to the city compared to mirabel, but how often does the average Montreal have to go to the airport?? Once, maybe twice a year?

All i know is that Mirabel's terminal is a work of Art. and there's plenty of room if the Airport ever needs to expand, which is not the case at Dorval.

·
39,232 Posts
40km from Montreal really isn't that far. A little bit closer might have been preferable, but a half an hour trip isn't bad at all. A good highway, and a dedicated high speed rail link is all that is needed. Dorval is cramped and plain awful. You feel like you are flying into some sleepy rust belt town.

·
Lovin' city life
210 Posts
They made a big mistake in giving that land back. It was appropriated for a purpose and the government now has to worry about taking land elsewhere if they ever decided to expand, whether at Dorval or not.

Taking new land is far harder and exhausting than retaining existing land.

Mirabel looks like it has the operational land that Montreal needs for the future, why in the world would they keep Dorval the primary airport in 25-50 years is beyond me. Just because its closer doesn't mean its better.

·
:-x
5,787 Posts
^^ Superbly? There's no room left to 'update' PET's turf. For example, a dead-end six-lane (industrial) boulevard cuts into its turf, separating the pair of main PET runways, plus an adjacent golf course is going to be diminished for PET's expansion, what with much of its own turf to be expropriated.

I agree with Malek: Mirabel will most definitely be used, there's no way it's going to die. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some kind of reversion, such that Dorval (PET) eventually be ditched in favour of shifting everything over to Mirabel; the question for me is which future decade will this ultimate transition occur.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts